User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery Recharge Time

Question... how long should it take to charge 2 6volt batteries when plugged in to shore power? I have a new trailer and have had it plugged in overnight in preparation for a camping trip I'm supposed to leave on today. The batteries were showing empty yesterday. Today only 2 lights are displaying out of 5 on the battery indicator display. I would have thought they would be fully charged by now. This unit has a residential refrigerator in it, so I'm wondering if that's why it's taking so long to charge up.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, you should not rely on the battery indicator typically installed in RV's as part of the levels panel as they report line voltage and not an accurate picture of the actual state of the batteries. Instead install a true battery monitor. However I realize you are preparing for a trip and installing a proper battery monitor right now is not possible. It sounds like the batteries may have been drained, very possible with a residential refrigerator if it has been running while not plugged in to shore power. If that is the case, the fact your batteries have not charged overnight may mean if they were in fact drained, they may be toast and in need of replacement.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyms77 View Post
    Question... how long should it take to charge 2 6volt batteries when plugged in to shore power? I have a new trailer and have had it plugged in overnight in preparation for a camping trip I'm supposed to leave on today. The batteries were showing empty yesterday. Today only 2 lights are displaying out of 5 on the battery indicator display. I would have thought they would be fully charged by now. This unit has a residential refrigerator in it, so I'm wondering if that's why it's taking so long to charge up.
    Another thing to consider is the capacity of your converter - how much current it is capable of supplying. Since you did not list the specifics of your rig it's hard to make an estimate.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of days for sure, it is only a trickle charger.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    That was true years ago... but not anymore... charge capacity should be on the converter data sticker....
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    My Reflection came stock with a 55 amp WFCO multi-stage converter. They will go into the trickle charge mode, but after delivering a bulk charge. I replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics converter which I felt was better quality.

A couple of days ago I used the old WFCO as a stand alone charger to charge a dead starter battery. On initial power up it was delivering a measured 38 amps to the battery. Definitely more than a trickle charger.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 golf cart batteries. I was told that they could be used all the way down to 0% without harming the battery. Anyhow, after fixing the fuses, everything seems to be fine now. Thank you

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told that they could be used all the way down to 0% without harming the battery.
    Did your battery salesman tell you this?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 golf cart batteries. I was told that they could be used all the way down to 0% without harming the battery. Anyhow, after fixing the fuses, everything seems to be fine now. Thank you
    That is incorrect for lead acid and AGM batteries. Prevailing wisdom says not to let these batteries drop below 50%. An occasional infrequent drop below 50% won't affect the life of the batteries significantly, but a drop to dead or close to dead and they are likely toast.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not true. GC batteries are Lead Acid type. They can only be drawn down to 50% which is not 12V-50%=6V. 12V-50% is 12.3V If you go below 50% you start reducing the amount of cycles you have. Basically you're cutting the life of the batteries down.
    You need to pick up a volt meter or even a cheap 12V socket digital meter. It's not perfect but when you have no loads on your battery it will show you the current volts. There are many other more $$$$ things you can buy but ultimately you just need to be able to monitor your voltage drop.
    Your onboard charger should be able to charge those dead batteries up in half a day. 6-8 hrs. The 1st 4 hours it will charge up fast, then it needs hit the absorption phase then float.