User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bunkhouse remodel on 323BHS

One of the main selling points on our 2015 Reflection 323BHS was the bunkhouse with a door. Our previous camper just had a curtain which separated the kids from the main cabin and we always felt like we had to go to bed at the same time as the kids or noises would keep them awake.
    The standard bunkhouse served us quite well for almost 5 years, but while everything was shut down and school was remote we decided we needed to redo this room. We only have two kids, and use the top bunk over the kitchen as storage anyway so we eliminated one bunk and made it into an area where one of the kids could sit during Zoom calls to keep from bothering our other kid while he was on his own Zoom call. We made more of a sitting area and ended up putting a little table in here instead of the round one.
    The stock picture is not mine - I do not seem to have one from before we did anything to the room.
    Removing the bottom outside kitchen side bunk was pretty straight forward. I notched the 2x3 to be able to run the wires through it and covered the wall with a piece of 1/2" insulation foam and then a 1/4' piece of plywood. A coat of the same paint as our cabin remodel (here) finished it off. We put a set of short curtains on each bunk so the kids could close them for some privacy (we also have a set on the "storage bunk"). I made a set of ladder-steps so one kid would quit stepping on the other's bed to get up to the top bunk and causing a bedtime rumble. Life with boys!

We still have some things we would like to do to this room (like paint the rest of the walls, replace the floor, etc), but that was about what I could get done before we hit the road to Huntsville to spend a week at NASA for Thanksgiving week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bunkhouse.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	34401 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200705_103919619.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	34402 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200726_142546792.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	34403

And for those wondering - the yellow streak on the floor is from a glow-stick. It got caught under the slide during transit, and busted open. The chemicals inside stained the linoleum, and still faintly glow after 3 years!
    Last edited by jakev383; 05-27-2021 at 06:21 AM.
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakev383 View Post
    One of the main selling points on our 2015 Reflection 323BHS was the bunkhouse with a door. Our previous camper just had a curtain which separated the kids from the main cabin and we always felt like we had to go to bed at the same time as the kids or noises would keep them awake.
    The standard bunkhouse served us quite well for almost 5 years, but while everything was shut down and school was remote we decided we needed to redo this room. We only have two kids, and use the top bunk over the kitchen as storage anyway so we eliminated one bunk and made it into an area where one of the kids could sit during Zoom calls to keep from bothering our other kid while he was on his own Zoom call. We made more of a sitting area and ended up putting a little table in here instead of the round one.
    The stock picture is not mine - I do not seem to have one from before we did anything to the room.
    Removing the bottom outside kitchen side bunk was pretty straight forward. I notched the 2x3 to be able to run the wires through it and covered the wall with a piece of 1/2" insulation foam and then a 1/4' piece of plywood. A coat of the same paint as our cabin remodel (here) finished it off. We put a set of short curtains on each bunk so the kids could close them for some privacy (we also have a set on the "storage bunk"). I made a set of ladder-steps so one kid would quit stepping on the other's bed to get up to the top bunk and causing a bedtime rumble. Life with boys!

We still have some things we would like to do to this room (like paint the rest of the walls, replace the floor, etc), but that was about what I could get done before we hit the road to Huntsville to spend a week at NASA for Thanksgiving week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bunkhouse.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	34401 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200705_103919619.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	34402 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200726_142546792.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	34403

And for those wondering - the yellow streak on the floor is from a glow-stick. It got caught under the slide during transit, and busted open. The chemicals inside stained the linoleum, and still faintly glow after 3 years!
    Great use of the space. Looks cozy. We ended up moving our dinette to the bunkhouse as part of out 308 remodel to make room.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali HD
    2017 308BHTS