User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Transcend 200MK hot water tank issue

My 200Mk is less than 3 months old, and I have been reading a lot of the posts regarding grand design from this forum, which by the way has been a great help considering I’m recently widowed and 100% on my own. I have to say how totally upset I am with both GD and my dealer in Canada. I personally believe a “leak check” was never done on the connectors to/from the hot water tank. This tank is tucked underneath the countertop in the corner back end of the unit. You “supposedly” have access to it via the cupboard beside the stove (And you better be about 90lbs soaking wet to get in there...I got stuck). I’ve been an aircraft mechanic for years and know tight spots...this one is one of the smallest/tightest. Anyhow, I noticed what looked like “clear” silicone along the floor under the stove, however, when I touched it, imagine my surprise to find out it was water. Upon further investigation, I found that the hot water tank was leaking from both connectors, and probably down into the belly through the holes in the floor for venting/wiring. It had dripped down onto the floor and ran under the stove, along the floor until it met the wood of the next cupboard. In the small crawl space where the tank sits, the wood is warped and the Lino is lifting, the wood frame is wet and the trim is warped and peeling.
    This vehicle went through an inspection at the factory and “supposedly” had a PDI done before I picked it up in February. There is no way a leak test was done, as IMO the leak would’ve been found quickly. I have not driven this unit for long distances...yet.
    While I get itÂ’s our job to maintain our unit, IMO, itÂ’s the manufactures job to make accessing these lines for maintenance in the least, accessible without having to rip apart the whole unit.
    I have put in a complaint to GD and my dealer, along with pictures demanding they replace the wood, the floors and everything else damaged as the unit is still under warranty.
    I doubt IÂ’ll get a positive response. Hard lesson learned, but one I personally donÂ’t think shouldÂ’ve occurred within the first 3 months of owning. If the companies expect us to maintain these ourselves, then make it so we can!
    IÂ’ll let you know if I get any response.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 35427565-6B98-41C4-BBB7-5A9B6F4A7BF0.jpg   9172DAAB-4D1B-4548-BB6B-E95215429080.jpg   667C612F-CC0D-4251-A777-06E51F1F5FB7.jpg   BF2704DB-5552-4AEB-A0F2-2B0C0CD90E55.jpg  
    Last edited by Wandering5thwheelers; 05-24-2021 at 10:52 AM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if you are looking for suggestions or just venting. Make sure if contacting GD to call, not email, and do it earlier in the day. If you dont get anywhere with that you can try to escalate it to higher up in the chain of command. As for the leaks, if you can get your hand in there and tighten the connection you should be fine, hopefully its just loose. If its tight and still leaking, the rubber seal inside the fitting probably needs to be replaced. For the water that leaked, sticking a small space heater in that area for a while should help dry it out somewhat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I little bit of both I guess.
    Thanks for the tips, I’ve managed to get in there (ergo why got stuck) and tighten them both...so far so good. I believe I caught it soon enough...fingers crossed.
    I will call them, thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Not sure if you are looking for suggestions or just venting. Make sure if contacting GD to call, not email, and do it earlier in the day. If you dont get anywhere with that you can try to escalate it to higher up in the chain of command. As for the leaks, if you can get your hand in there and tighten the connection you should be fine, hopefully its just loose. If its tight and still leaking, the rubber seal inside the fitting probably needs to be replaced. For the water that leaked, sticking a small space heater in that area for a while should help dry it out somewhat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering5thwheelers View Post
    I little bit of both I guess.
    Thanks for the tips, I’ve managed to get in there (ergo why got stuck) and tighten them both...so far so good. I believe I caught it soon enough...fingers crossed.
    I will call them, thank you!
    First off, welcome to the group, thanks to you both for your services and so so sorry for your recent loss. It can be frustrating when things don't go as planned and as promised with a big expense like this but GD does stand by their product and should be able to work with your dealer to make it right.
    Glad you were able to find and fix the leak. This will prevent further damages. As mentioned, heat and also ventilation will help dry things up. You can test yourself to see if this fix the leak by turning on your water pump. After it has pressurized the plumbing the pump will stop. If there's no leaks, there's no lost of pressure and your pump will not come on. If it does come on after let's say 10, 15 min, then you have a leak somewhere.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE