User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Important Update: Heard from Dexter Axle and am sending them brake shoes in question. Really one show one shoe of concern and that is the one with all the lining that is gone.

The other shoes I was concerned about, ones with shorter lining is normal. The leading and trailing shoes are different.

I learned something new and that is there is lubrication required as part of normal maintenance. Between the backing plate and shoes and on the spindles.

The bottom line is be aware of all that is required.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReiMan1776 View Post
    As a further update I just installed new brake shoes on the remaining wheels. I discovered several other brake shoes with large chunks of lining broken off and gone.

So, now I am thinking this may have caused my tire blowout problem that with the cost if new tires cost me about 2 GRAND. Large chunks of lining breaking off could have caused excessive heat leading to tire failure. It just makes sense with the THREE blowouts in short order. I have towed trailers for many years and never suffered a blowout.

Besides the expense this is a real safety issue and I am going to take this up with Grand Design, Dexter mfg, and the NHSTA

The shoes are stamped April 2018

And yes, I just ordered a tire pressure monitoring system. Tire Minder i10Attachment 34967Attachment 34968
    Thanks to Dexter Axle Co who called me and taught me some new valuable lessons.

The one shoe with missing lining is definitely not normal.
    The other shoes with shortened lining are normal, they face forward.

Of real importance and something I did not know is lubrication is required when normal inspection and maintenance is performed.

Here is the link to the Dexter Service Manual:
    https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ice_manual.pdf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12