User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furrion AC short-cycling

Our 2021 Momentum 350G has dual Furrion 14.5k AC units, and I’ve seen a few posts here about various issues. First-off, let me say these units are LOUD! Dang-near impossible to sleep with the bedroom unit running, can’t hear the TV in the living area when that one is running. We weren’t getting much air coming out of the registers either. One evening I closed off the register directly under the unit, the one that’s next to the return and all of a sudden we were getting plenty of cold air from the registers over the bed. And the sound was a lot more tolerable too. That’s great, we go to bed and I’m thinking “problem solved,” but after a while the AC started coming on every minute, running for a minute, and shutting off for a minute. The air wasn’t very cold, either. I had the fan set to auto. Googled this in the middle of the night and it seems like the bedroom AC was short-cycling, my guess would be a frozen coil but I’m no expert.

For those with Furrion AC’s, are you supposed to run them with the main return open or closed? Seems like closing the main return caused the issue, which kinda sucks since we really want the cold air coming out of the ceiling registers, not the loud register directly under the unit. Really interested in others experiences here.
    2021 Momentum 350G
    2020 F250 6.7 Powerstroke HCTP
    2020 Harley Road Glide
    2020 Harley Road King

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't, by any means, call myself and expert on these units but we fixed the same issue with friend's new camper while camping together. Unit was short cycling, and it was easy to see the ice block. Shut it down while we day tripped to that, opened the shutter, and zero issue for rest of the 5 day stay. They are as loud as a 15K Dometic Brisk Air for sure!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is never a good idea to close off any supply or return air register. These units require a certain DFM of airflow to operate properly. Given the size of the registers and ducting, the way these AC installations are designed and installed, air flow is marginal at best.
    You also need to drop the grill and make sure that cold air is not being sucked back into the return. Foil duct tape is your friend.
    I'm not familiar with the Furrion units, so I don't know if the temp sensor is in the wall thermostat or if it's a thermistor placed in the return air path. If the latter is the case, sealing the supply and return plenum from each other is critical.
    Last edited by BobLandry; 05-27-2021 at 03:56 PM.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I won't, by any means, call myself and expert on these units but we fixed the same issue with friend's new camper while camping together. Unit was short cycling, and it was easy to see the ice block. Shut it down while we day tripped to that, opened the shutter, and zero issue for rest of the 5 day stay. They are as loud as a 15K Dometic Brisk Air for sure!
    How did you see the ice block? By removing the interior cover and filter?
    2021 Momentum 350G
    2020 Harley Road Glide
    2020 Harley Road King

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    It is never a good idea to close off any supply or return air register. These units require a certain DFM of airflow to operate properly. Given the size of the registers and ducting, the way these AC installations are designed and installed, air flow is marginal at best.
    You also need to drop the grill and make sure that cold air is not being sucked back into the return. Foil duct tape is your friend.
    That’s kind of what I thought, but since it made the unit so much quieter it was worth a shot. Shouldn’t be a way to close it off if it causes issues.
    2021 Momentum 350G
    2020 Harley Road Glide
    2020 Harley Road King

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My rig came with a flyer that said to run the A/C with the shutter closed so that the air is forced through the duct work. And yes, it is a lot quieter that way. Also, I have found that my Furrion unit (also a 14.5K) is much quieter than any other that I have had in prior rigs.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The position of the shutter on the grill should not matter if your AC is ducted. The air either gets dumped under the AC or is directed to the duct. I was talking about closing registers if that is even possible.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    The position of the shutter on the grill should not matter if your AC is ducted. The air either gets dumped under the AC or is directed to the duct. I was talking about closing registers if that is even possible.
    I’m probably using the wrong terminology - I’m talking about the shutter, I guess. The one right next to the return in the same housing under the unit. The other registers are all open in my case. After closing the shutter we got great flow from the registers, didn’t seem like too much back pressure. The other thing I did that I forgot to mention is turning the fan to Low, thinking the continuous flow of air would help unfreeze the coil, seemed to help. So maybe don’t close the shutter and use Auto simultaneously.
    2021 Momentum 350G
    2020 Harley Road Glide
    2020 Harley Road King

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Supremo View Post
    I’m probably using the wrong terminology - I’m talking about the shutter, I guess. The one right next to the return in the same housing under the unit. The other registers are all open in my case. After closing the shutter we got great flow from the registers, didn’t seem like too much back pressure. The other thing I did that I forgot to mention is turning the fan to Low, thinking the continuous flow of air would help unfreeze the coil, seemed to help. So maybe don’t close the shutter and use Auto simultaneously.
    In RV jargon, this is often called the "cold air dump" and some manufacturers call it the "rapid cool feature." Doesn't matter what you call it but what it causes in a poorly executed design for an RV A/C. When you close it, the cold air is drawn immediately in and freezes the unit. It's funny that is has the same issue Dometic has had with the design. You can execute the same fix for the Dometic units to the Furrion.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello. I know it is a late post, but in case you didn't know, the vent directly under AC is for a quick cool down of rig when you first arrive at site and it is hot inside. Once it cools off a bit, closing this AC vent will allow air to flow through ceiling ducts, which helps distribute it evenly throughout rig. My Furrion AC seems to be doing the same thing you described. Did you get your issue resolved.
    Thanks,
    Jed

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast