User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Added a table/extension to our island

We added this table to our 2015 Reflection 323BHS kitchen island so we had a place for the kids to sit with their laptops while schools were in remote learning mode. The table folds down almost flat to make room and folds up easily when needed.

This ended up working quite well for us - during breaks between classes the kids could run out and swim or fish for the duration of their break, then come back in and get back on their laptops. We also use it for eating since we removed the dinette out of our rig (see this post about that). I can also work remote, so I sat on the couch with a lapdesk or went outside and sat.

The arms/hinges were ordered from Amazon (CUZURLUV 18'' Folding Shelf Brackets) and are supposed to be able to hold 440lbs. We have boys, so I fully expect them to lean on it and put weight on it. Because of this, I ran 1/4" bolts through the hinges into the island, and put pieces of 1/2" plywood as a backer on the inside for the nuts to snug up against. I tested this a little and from what I can tell the island will rip out of the floor before the table's arms tear loose.

The wood table was just made from some scrap pieces of paint-grade finger joined boards I'd bought at Lowe's when I built some book cases for in the house. 4 coats of polyurethane should be durable enough, or at least last until I get bored with the table and decide to do something different!
    The stools were $100 on Amazon (YAHEETECH 24inch Metal Bar Stools)
    Sorry about the mess in the rest of the camper - I took the picture right after I'd finished it, and we had not cleaned the camper for the next trip yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200904_124428253.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	34378 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200904_130046809.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	34379
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)