Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too windy?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too windy?

We're getting some breezes today, 35 gusting to 50 mph. Those breezes are coming straight at the street side of the trailer, so two slides get the breeze before the rest of the trailer (by a few milliseconds). The trailer is rocking some, but not enough to worry us or disturb cooking and eating. We've pulled in the slides at times in the past, and other times we've left them out. Doesn't seem to make much difference, since the wind is coming right at the side of the trailer.

The dealer in Las Cruces said not to worry about the slide toppers - they can take New Mexico winds. Normally, that would be good enough for me, but I don't trust that dealer. One of the other rigs here lost a topper last year and they were oriented the same as we are.

What do you do? Pull slides in when the wind reaches a certain speed, or leave them out and figure that the insurance will take care of any damage?
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On strong winds 20mph+ we will bring in the slides and ride it out. Not only do the toppers act like sails, but so do the slides. Especially if your high sided on one side to offset the site pitch to get leveled. It can be a pretty scarry ride to feel the trailer rock side to side during high winds - been there done that! Plus, no idea of what possible damage it could do to landing gear, leveling legs and stabilizers. Bringing in the slides eliminated 80% of the sail effect during high winds in our 295RL 5er.

NOTE: If better than 35mph.... pull in the slides, lock it down, shut off water/gas, and head for a hotel. No sense going down with the ship!

If light winds (under 15 mph), we bungy cord over ours and suction cup the ends down to our slide sides (Harbor Freight). Eliminates topper sail and also provides rain water runnoff. Doesnt have to be tight... just bunggy weight laying on the topper secured to the slide sides. Been doing it for 3+ yrs now and works great!
    Last edited by trailrydr; 04-15-2024 at 01:39 PM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are actually a bit low on the street side. I finally gave in and we pulled the kitchen slide in, at least for a couple of hours.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha...welcome to NM in the spring! Slide toppers? No way!
    No issues with the slides themselves though.
    Good luck!
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh.... this one is a hoot! I bet they (and several others) had a change their shorts right after they stop laughing about it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=5L84aSSHgqg
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’re here at assateaque island and the winds kicked up real hard last night, I think 15 sustained and 25 gusts.
    I was considering closing the slide and I think if it was to get any worse I would close it.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're in Florida and this winter it has been windy. We have had 30 to 35 mph winds and one day it was gusting up to 60. We're not too far off the Gulf so we do get some wind. We haven't taken the slides in but you could feel it. Not enough to be scary though. we do have a tripod, x chocks and the strong arms. They do their job and we haven't felt threatened.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct not to trust the GD dealership in Las Cruces. I have several descriptors for them but won't use them here. Cruces is my hometown and we have wintered there many times... also lost a slide topper to the wind. Then I learned to take clothesline/parachute cord and go over the top of the slide, down the middle of the topper, down both sides, and tie it underneath the slide - but not too tight. This stops the flapping and we had no issues after learning to do that.

Rob

PS: if you're at Hacienda and the winds are out of the north, say "Hi" to my brother-in-law's farms as they blow by you.
    Last edited by Second Chance; 04-16-2024 at 05:06 PM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    You are correct not to trust the GD dealership in Las Cruces. I have several descriptors for them but won't use them here. Cruces is my hometown and we have wintered there many times... also lost a slide topper to the wind. Then I learned to take clothesline/parachute cord and go over the top of the slide, down the middle of the topper, down both sides, and tie it underneath the slide - but not too tight. This stops the flapping and we had no issues after learning to do that.

Rob

PS: if you're at Hacienda and the winds are out of the north, say "Hi" to my brother-in-law's farms as they blow by you.
    Small world. Our home town is Cruces also.
    Yup, wind can get wicked there. Wind gets just as bad here in AZ I never leave the awning out at night or when we’re not home. I’ve seen more than one get folded over the rig. We don’t have a topper on this one, but with some of our others that did we closed up when they started flopping.
    Rich
    '16 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4x4 / '21 Imagine 2600RB
    The Journey Is The Destination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    We're getting some breezes today, 35 gusting to 50 mph. Those breezes are coming straight at the street side of the trailer, so two slides get the breeze before the rest of the trailer (by a few milliseconds). The trailer is rocking some, but not enough to worry us or disturb cooking and eating. We've pulled in the slides at times in the past, and other times we've left them out. Doesn't seem to make much difference, since the wind is coming right at the side of the trailer.

The dealer in Las Cruces said not to worry about the slide toppers - they can take New Mexico winds. Normally, that would be good enough for me, but I don't trust that dealer. One of the other rigs here lost a topper last year and they were oriented the same as we are.

What do you do? Pull slides in when the wind reaches a certain speed, or leave them out and figure that the insurance will take care of any damage?
    Just curious, where do you stay in Cruces?
    Rich
    '16 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4x4 / '21 Imagine 2600RB
    The Journey Is The Destination

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast