User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better choice: Verizon Mobile Hotspot or Winegard Gateway

I’m looking for. Recommendations for WiFi. Is a Verizon Mobile hotspot (Mifi, Jet Pack) a better choice then using the Winegard Gateway Modem? I know they both need a data plan but looking for ease of connection, reliability, convenience. Thanks

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have used a Verizon MiFi hot-spot since going full-time six years ago. Wherever there's been a signal, we've had a connection. We also take the hot-spot with us when traveling without the rig - car trips to visit my mother-in-law, times when we'll have a lot of down/waiting time without connectivity, etc. You can't do that with something that's part of the RV. We have a grandfathered, truly-unlimited data plan, so the smart TV is connected to it and we stream from NetFlix, Amazon Prime, the channel apps, etc., all the time. Your situation may be different, but when we're going to spend a lot of time on-line away from "home," phone screens are just too small for our aging eyes and fingers - we take our laptops with us.

BTW - you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both and keep the gateway off unless the cell signal is low. You can set the Winegard to work for cell boost without a sim card in it.
    The rationale is the Winegard is fixed in place, but the jetpack is mobile if we need to use it elsewhere.
    I also bought a $40 directional antenna that suction cups to the window and plugs directly into the jetpack, just to be sure. Me and the DW work remote when we're on the road, so solid service is a must-have.

This couple breaks it all down and explains why I went with this setup: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/overview/
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had the Verizon Hot spot for several years and use it while RVing, at the lake house and at home when storms temp. knockout service. We have been very happy with it and see no reason to look further. Plus it consolidates two bills into one since we have Verizon phones.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have both .... when I added solar I also built a Raspberry PI Victron Venus OS controller - it is the same as the CCGX and transmits solar/battery/inverter information to a web portal so I can see what the state of everything is.

The reason I have the Winegard is that I can connect a couple of items to it permanently, then I can have the Winegard connect to the Jetpack or my home WiFi to access the Victron stuff (or some other IoT items such as my Govee leak sensors, Wyze Outdoor Cam, and Micro Air Easy Touch WiFi Thermostat.)

I can control what the Winegard connects to via a phone app (ie: change from the Jetpack WiFi to home WiFi or even campground WiFi if available) without having to change each device's connection to WiFi. Technically I could use the Jetpack directly to each device but at home I would need to change everything back.

Essentially I am using the Winegard as a glorified WiFi extended. It has an external antenna so it works better than most others that don't - at least for my purposes.

I have an iPad with a 30GB Hotspot plan from Verizon ($15/month) that I use for streaming to the TV. I can also plug it directly into the HDMI port and bypass the 30GB issue (using my plan's unlimited that may get deprioritized but not throttled for the rest of the month).

Between the cellular iPad, my iPhone (another 30GB hotspot), and the Jetpack (30GB) - all Verizon, I have 90 GB of hotspot data for $70/month total. The iPad and Jetpack are 1/2 price ($15/month each) because of my phone plan.
    2021 - Grand Design Solitude S-2930RL
    2020 - Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 6.7L CCLB

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We have used a Verizon MiFi hot-spot since going full-time six years ago. Wherever there's been a signal, we've had a connection. We also take the hot-spot with us when traveling without the rig - car trips to visit my mother-in-law, times when we'll have a lot of down/waiting time without connectivity, etc. You can't do that with something that's part of the RV. We have a grandfathered, truly-unlimited data plan, so the smart TV is connected to it and we stream from NetFlix, Amazon Prime, the channel apps, etc., all the time. Your situation may be different, but when we're going to spend a lot of time on-line away from "home," phone screens are just too small for our aging eyes and fingers - we take our laptops with us.

BTW - you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    Rob....I got the Verizon Jet Pack 8800? a few years ago too, the one with the truly unlimited...no throttling service and we do the same thing with ours. It is very handy to take with you....any place, any time, and does a great job for us. I'm sitting in an auto dealership right now typing this while getting some new brakes and rotors turned on my tow vehicle. Just did a speed test a few minutes ago....61 down and 31 up....
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by openrangeowners View Post
    Between the cellular iPad, my iPhone (another 30GB hotspot), and the Jetpack (30GB) - all Verizon, I have 90 GB of hotspot data for $70/month total. The iPad and Jetpack are 1/2 price ($15/month each) because of my phone plan.
    Please take the time to post the specific plan that you are on... My plan has 2 lines, phone and MiFi. I get 30gb hot spot on the phone, but only 15gb on the MiFi, and I am paying $125 a month.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Please take the time to post the specific plan that you are on... My plan has 2 lines, phone and MiFi. I get 30gb hot spot on the phone, but only 15gb on the MiFi, and I am paying $125 a month.
    I am on a family plan with 4 phones and get a teacher discount .... my plan has 1/2 price connected devices, so the iPad and Jetpack are normally $30/month but now are $15/month. I am on the top tier plan with my phone $55/month. All of these each include 30gb of LTE/5G hotspot before throttling to 600kbps. I have a 8800XL Jetpack and use a Netgear MiMo external antenna. I also have a WeBoost that only gets used if we have poor native cell strength.

Our plan is 4 phones, iPad, Apple Watch and Jetpack.
    2021 - Grand Design Solitude S-2930RL
    2020 - Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 6.7L CCLB

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
    I’m looking for. Recommendations for WiFi. Is a Verizon Mobile hotspot (Mifi, Jet Pack) a better choice then using the Winegard Gateway Modem? I know they both need a data plan but looking for ease of connection, reliability, convenience. Thanks
    Mobile Internet Resource Center is a really good source of factual and up to date information. It has videos that even explains the pros and cons of using smartphones, "jetpack"-like devices, and sim card routers (and/or antennas). Also tons of up to date info on data plans as they seem to change weekly. I highly recommend you spend some time viewing some of their videos. Best part - they aren't so-called influencers like many RV related channels as much as they are just providing information.

We only travel about 3 to 6 months a year and find using cell phones as a hotspot for everything but streaming videos work well most of the time (you can use them to stream, you just need a pretty robust data plan). We have a Nano Station / Aircube antenna/router set up for use as a WiFi repeater which works well assuming the service it is repeating has good bandwidth. And we have a WeBoost Drive Reach system for amping up cell signals when needed.

I have a question for the Winegard Gateway folks..... can you connect and "repeat" from campgrounds that use Tengo as their WiFi service? My set-up won't. Tengo seems to "fiddle" with their MAC addresses and does not provide a full 6 sets of HEX digits so my Nano station will see the hotspots but won't actually connect and "repeat" them to the Aircube.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
    I use an AT&T Netgear M100 hotspot for my Internet service. It is a CAT 16 modem with theoretical download speeds of 1,000Mbps (I know...) It also has 4 multiple-in multiple-out (MIMO) antennas built in and it has dual antenna jacks for an external MIMO antenna. The hotspot can generate WIFI signals for both the 2.4MHz (old stuff) and 5.0MHz (new devices mostly) bands. The Netgear gets its power from a battery and is charged with a proprietary cable plugged into any USB jack or charger.

The Winegard Router is a CAT 4 device with download speeds of 150Mbps, uses the external antennas of the Winegard 360+, and only has one WIFI band of 2.4MHz. The Winegard is connected to power directly below the Winegard 360+, so you put it place and forget about it.

You'll get a broad spectrum of user experiences with these by reading Amazon reviews of both products. Sometimes you'll say, "I can live with that" or "That's a deal breaker in my situation".

They cost about the same.

I have the 360+ on top of my new 310GK, researched the Winegard Router, and I'm going to stay with the Netgear Hotspot.
    (Ordered 7/13/20) 2021 Solitude 310GK, FBP, DP, HP, Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes
    Built 9/9/20; To Paint 9/11/20 (5-6 weeks); Done Paint 10/1/20; MORryde axle upgrade 10/5/20; Done at MORryde and paid for 10/8/20; Arrived at Dealer 10/20/20; picked up 11/7/20

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast