User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wanting to get into 3d printing

I am interested in getting into 3D printing. Chances are we will be taking it on the road. Anyone else have experience with them? What are some good models?

Any tips that you have would be appreciated. Is there some sort of 3d scanner out there that you can scan items to print?
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Creality SE. I have not had any issues with it. It stays in the sticks and bricks however. There is a web site called thingiverse that has many many files you can download to print. Also there are a few free CAD programs that you can use to create your own files. Not sure about scanners. We had a couple at work but they would be way to larger to bring in a camper.

3D printing is a fun hobby and I have made many useful and practical items.
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MN-Mark View Post
    I have a Creality SE. I have not had any issues with it. It stays in the sticks and bricks however. There is a web site called thingiverse that has many many files you can download to print. Also there are a few free CAD programs that you can use to create your own files. Not sure about scanners. We had a couple at work but they would be way to larger to bring in a camper.

3D printing is a fun hobby and I have made many useful and practical items.
    I was hoping more were into this hobby. I do need to look around a bit. Would have to be a printer that has replacement parts readily available due to the rolling earthquake.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would look for one that has self leveling. Creality is a pretty popular brand so I would think parts should be pretty available. I have only ever had to replace the nozzle a couple times. I always have a few spares. They are pretty inexpensive.

Good luck!

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a Bambu Labs X1c. Not cheap but it has the ability to change color/material without any work on my part. It prints most materials and is very fast. I bought the rubber pieces for each support so vibration is pretty much gone. I really like having my own setup so I can design parts, quickly print a very low quality version (to save on material and faster prints) then check for fit/form and redo with better quality settings once I nail down the final design. For things bigger than the print plate, the "slicer" software you use has options to automatically chop up your part and put registration marks so you can easily assemble.

I recommend you look at youtube for Prusa slicer and Bambu slicer. That will explain the above. The next question is what will you print. You can download a zillion things from Thingiverse and printables dot com. I always find those items are quite close to what I want, but I want to modify a bit. That takes some learning curve. Next, to design from scratch, many like FreeCad and Fusion360. Both are no cost to use if you are not a business. Learning curve is a bit steep for both. You might consider downloading FreeCad and follow a few youtubes on how to use it. Once you get the hang of designing or modifying existing, you have option to either purchase a printer or just goto the plethora of website where you upload your design and choose materials you want to print with and the website will send you bids/quotes for vendors all over the world who will print for you. That is not expensive either.

Good luck, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I am interested in getting into 3D printing. Chances are we will be taking it on the road. Anyone else have experience with them? What are some good models?

Any tips that you have would be appreciated. Is there some sort of 3d scanner out there that you can scan items to print?
    2024 Brinkley z2900
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2022 GD 2970RL (Sold, 2023-Oct)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold. 2022-May)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for asking that question. I have thought about trying to get into it too but didn't know where to start. Would be great for all the RV and boat stuff I work on. Following along with you...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never really thought about 3d printing until I saw a dragon made by 3D with moving parts...was intriguing and pretty cool..made me go hmmmmm maybe some day
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made these to solve a problem with how to keep toothpaste and brush clean, accessible and secured during travel. I made it in 2 parts, one is wall mount (white) and the other is black holder. This makes it easy to remove for cleaning. Its just 1 example of what my 3d printing journey has produced.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240421_174227.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	50523Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240421_174215.jpg 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	50522
    2024 Brinkley z2900
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2022 GD 2970RL (Sold, 2023-Oct)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold. 2022-May)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wudwork View Post
    I got a Bambu Labs X1c. Not cheap but it has the ability to change color/material without any work on my part. It prints most materials and is very fast. I bought the rubber pieces for each support so vibration is pretty much gone. I really like having my own setup so I can design parts, quickly print a very low quality version (to save on material and faster prints) then check for fit/form and redo with better quality settings once I nail down the final design. For things bigger than the print plate, the "slicer" software you use has options to automatically chop up your part and put registration marks so you can easily assemble.

I recommend you look at youtube for Prusa slicer and Bambu slicer. That will explain the above. The next question is what will you print. You can download a zillion things from Thingiverse and printables dot com. I always find those items are quite close to what I want, but I want to modify a bit. That takes some learning curve. Next, to design from scratch, many like FreeCad and Fusion360. Both are no cost to use if you are not a business. Learning curve is a bit steep for both. You might consider downloading FreeCad and follow a few youtubes on how to use it. Once you get the hang of designing or modifying existing, you have option to either purchase a printer or just goto the plethora of website where you upload your design and choose materials you want to print with and the website will send you bids/quotes for vendors all over the world who will print for you. That is not expensive either.

Good luck, Tom
    I have done a fair amount of research so far. I was looking at the Bambu printers but many people say how horrible the customer support is. That and the parts availability is not the greatest. I was looking at the Creality. It is inexpensive and has tons of upgrade parts. But I think it may get bounced around a bit.

I do know that I have to think about what I am printing in and will have to make sure what I choose can print in many mediums.

I have an idea for some lights for the awning. Not string lights but lanterns on chains that slide into the awning slots. That and I have ideas for hangers in the RV because most household solutions don't always work in the RV.

Oh, and a Hitch cover that is in two pieces and has magnets to hold to together.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wudwork View Post
    I made these to solve a problem with how to keep toothpaste and brush clean, accessible and secured during travel. I made it in 2 parts, one is wall mount (white) and the other is black holder. This makes it easy to remove for cleaning. Its just 1 example of what my 3d printing journey has produced.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240421_174227.jpg 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	50523Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240421_174215.jpg 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	50522
    Excellent idea. Now go sell them.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast