Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purchasing a new RV - First Timer

Hi all, on the advice of many RV blogs and articles I've joined this forum to learn (and eventually) contribute about the Grand Design RVs.

I'm wanting to buy a 2021 Reflection 268BH. I've been talking to 3 or 4 dealers. I've seen multiple MSRPs hovering between 50K and 54k. I've also heard that in general one should be able to "negotiate" up 35% off that price.
    Is this a reasonable expectation? and (dumb question maybe) would that price be pre-tax/registration etc?

Any help is most appreciated and I'm looking to join the ranks of Actual owners soon.

Thanks,

Curtis

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you could let us know where you live, we might could refer you to dealers known to compete for your business with fair prices.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m in the Houston, Texas area. I’ve been talking to Holiday World. Right now they seem to be on the higher side. Ive also spoken with a couple of others out state. I’m not opposed to traveling to get the trailer.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks as if Holiday World is the exclusive GD dealer for Houston.

Explore USA at Rockport is 142 mi. away.
    Crestview in Burla, TX is 152 mi.
    Bayou RV in Bossier City is 218 mi.
    Coach Specialties in Mansfield, TX is 220 mi. away.
    McClains in Ft. Worth is 227 mi. away.
    Bennett's RV in McClain, TX is Granbury, TX is 232 mi. away.

You might see if one is willing to earn your business with a price making the trip worthwhile.

I also see a number of late model used Grand Design units on RVTraders.com filtered by 250 miles and the brand Grand Design. You might score a fair price on one of them.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your question on pricing. In more normal times, up to 35% off MSRP may be possible especially if you are willing to travel to get the RV. With it being a seller's market, my opinion is you would be doing good with 25% off MSRP. Yes that price would be before taxes and other fees.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    Your question on pricing. In more normal times, up to 35% off MSRP may be possible especially if you are willing to travel to get the RV. With it being a seller's market, my opinion is you would be doing good with 25% off MSRP. Yes that price would be before taxes and other fees.
    Thank you Capt. I appreciate your input.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out Sonnys RV in Concord NC. We got right at 30% off MSRP on a 320G we ordered. They also do not have any additional fees other than a $199 doc fee. They were great to deal with.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilliams View Post
    I’m in the Houston, Texas area. I’ve been talking to Holiday World. Right now they seem to be on the higher side. Ive also spoken with a couple of others out state. I’m not opposed to traveling to get the trailer.
    In 2017 we were already full timers so not opposed to traveling to get our new RV. Also being full timers we were not too concerned about the dealer loyalty thing, some dealers give preference to people that purchase RV's from them and walk in's are scheduled around them. I tried to Holiday World in League City, as soon as I started with negotiating the price they stopped communicating with me. After I purchased my Momentum I tried to schedule some service with them, but they were too busy... Now I only go in there to get parts as they are close to where my daughter lives.

I ordered my RV through Tarpley's RV in Durango, CO. They were easy to work with and were attentive when during PDI and during our move from old 5th wheel to new 5th wheel. Before I drove out of the lot I scheduled a warranty service time 11 months after purchase. The service manager thought that was hilarious and asked what they were going to fix, I told him I didn't know yet, but it's an Rv and something will need fixing by then. He laughed, the appointment in the book and was very cooperative as I added warranty item to the appointment. When we got there he had all the parts already ordered and waiting and completed all of the repairs in 2 days.

I started my shopping by going to the Grand Design dealer finding tool and made a list of 25 dealers, then sent them an email telling them I wanted to order a new Momentum 376TH. I was amazed that only a few responded. It took a couple of months, but I eventually made a deal. It was 25% off of MSRP. Ordered in November delivered April 1.

One of the lessons learned was that salesmen don't always know what they are saying and some times get there facts wrong. You have to be careful, then only believe what you see in writing. I got misquoted a couple of times, either different model, or they didn't add in the options we wanted. It got a little frustrating for a while. It was funny how quickly the price dropped after I said that was too high, no thank you, I'll call around some more....

Happy hunting...
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camper clinic in Rockport, TX (Mike was our salesman) wouldnt negotiate a price, they simply took 15% off the top. This was in Dec 2020.

I was hoping for a better discount but we have an immaculate trade-in RV (2000 Gulfstream Yellowstone) that I used to my advantage to lower the price as they gave us double what the blue book was for the old RV.

I had planned to sell the old RV to a 3rd party in Rockport however the GM of the dealership stopped by our RV park and inspected our old RV. And then gave us $2,000 more than what we were going to put it up for sale!

All in all, I was pleased with Camper Clinic in Rockport, TX.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast