User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shifting storage weight back - 2021 303

Hello - new owner and new to RV’s with a weight shift question. We just weighed our rig and although we are under the TCVWR and Trailer GVWR, my tounge weight is a tad heavy. I know I can swap out the tailgate for a lighter 5th wheel slotted one and can ditch the very nice tonneau cover to save weight on my tow vehicle, I was also wondering since all of the storage area in the 303 is forward of the axles, any ideas how I can redistribute outside stuff to the rear of the trailer axles? We can obviously also start removing stuff but we are not overweight overall. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Wicked Jules and Tiki Al
    Oakley CA
    2021 GD Reflection 303RLS
    2015 F-350 SW 4x4 King Ranch Crew Cab

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, you're heavy on the pin, so you're over payload of the SRW. Beyond the likely obvious reduction in gear, use the storage below the tri-fold and above as much as possible. For example, if you are canned beverage folks, those fit well in the space under the trifold and are heavy. Some freshwater in the tank can help offset, but I'm not sure exactly how far behind the axles that tank is on your model.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe check into a hitch tray on the back of the rig?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    2021 GD Reflection 303rls
    2019 ram 2500 Crew Cab tradesman 4x4
    Autoslider 5th wheel hitch.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Ok, you're heavy on the pin, so you're over payload of the SRW. Beyond the likely obvious reduction in gear, use the storage below the tri-fold and above as much as possible. For example, if you are canned beverage folks, those fit well in the space under the trifold and are heavy. Some freshwater in the tank can help offset, but I'm not sure exactly how far behind the axles that tank is on your model.
    Maybe I missed something, but I don't see where he said he was over payload on the truck (not likely with a 303 on a 1-ton truck).
    @WickedJulesTikiAl - as long as you're within the 20 - 25% pin-to-gross-weight ratio on the trailer, I wouldn't worry about it unless you have excessive sagging on the truck. Then some Timbrens or air bags would be in order. Worse things happen if you're too light on the pin than if you're slightly heavy.

Rob

Edit/PS: the fresh water tank should be over the rear axle on the 303. Just make sure your waste tanks are empty as they are forward of the axles.
    Last edited by Second Chance; 05-29-2021 at 12:30 PM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Maybe I missed something, but I don't see where he said he was over payload on the truck (not likely with a 303 on a 1-ton truck).
    @WickedJulesTikiAl - as long as you're within the 20 - 25% pin-to-gross-weight ratio on the trailer, I wouldn't worry about it unless you have excessive sagging on the truck. Then some Timbrens or air bags would be in order. Worse things happen if you're too light on the pin than if you're slightly heavy.

Rob

Edit/PS: the fresh water tank should be over the rear axle on the 303. Just make sure your waste tanks are empty as they are forward of the axles.
    Lol. It was more of a question since the post is unclear, and do know Rob that I had an 2015 F350 SRW King Ranch diesel office truck and it only had a payload of 2720# because the company had every option in that thing. Pin on a loaded 303 around 2K, toolbox in the bed, heavy solid tonneau, and doesn't seem too far-fetched... Be interesting to see what the Op shares in greater detail.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedJulesTikiAl View Post
    Hello - new owner and new to RV’s with a weight shift question. We just weighed our rig and although we are under the TCVWR and Trailer GVWR, my tounge weight is a tad heavy. I know I can swap out the tailgate for a lighter 5th wheel slotted one and can ditch the very nice tonneau cover to save weight on my tow vehicle, I was also wondering since all of the storage area in the 303 is forward of the axles, any ideas how I can redistribute outside stuff to the rear of the trailer axles? We can obviously also start removing stuff but we are not overweight overall. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Storage in a 303 is an issue, I have the same trailer, on a F-250. The numbers work for me, but I have to pay attention. We are weekend and short trip campers, and we pack light. The CCC is rated at about 2000 on most 303, but with #5200 axles, most of the cargo needs to be carried on the pin box... the trailer should have had #6000 axles. When my rig gets its bearings repacked next year, I’ll probably use bearings from the #6000 axle and swap out the #2600 springs for #3000, as my springs are already showing signs of flattening out after 6000 miles. It’s not a very expensive swap, if you are already doing some deep maintenance.

My issue with the 303 is that almost all of the storage is on the street side of the trailer, which is already almost #600 heavier, due to the kitchen slide, and most of that is forward of the axles, in the bedroom and bedroom slide, fridge and basement storage. Almost nothing upstairs is on the curb side. If we pack drinks and such, they go on the floor aft center and under the dinette on the floor. Heavier items, like tools, in the basement go on the curb side. For longer trips, we will use a hitch mounted tray/box and move a couple hundred pounds aft. The floor plan is very livable and we like it for just the two of us, but we have to be very weight conscious as we pack. It’s amazing how fast weight can accumulate in a camper... plus my 303 came from the factory about #200 heavier on the pin than advertised in the literature #1990 vs 1780, and for me with a 3/4 ton, and being a pack rat every pound matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all - its me again...thanks for the quick replies. I plead newbie so I probably wasn't as clear in my original post as to what info folks needed to "weigh - in" (get it...weigh in???) Anyways...here is more info. My truck is just as that work truck as mentioned. Fully loaded King Ranch, Turbo Diesel, 4x4, Crew Cab 2015 SRW with all the tow options. FYI I bought it used to do this new adventure thinking I was getting a solid tow platform, but later realized that all of the bells and whistles can definitely impact towing capacities. Used super duty trucks are EXTREMELY rare since the RV buying surge and that was all I really had to pick from. I would have preferred a less loaded version but we have to admit...we really like it and how it drives! Anyways it has the step up tailgate (which appears to be very heavy so that is what I plan to attack first). It also has a rollup aluminum tonneau cover which again, weighs about 150 but is really nice when we aren't towing to secure things in. Removing that is also an option. We have minimal tools in it, just the basics and it had our typical travelling items in it (which are not excessive). It was weighed with both of us in it and a full fuel load (50 gallons diesel) and blu - def load.

The specs on the truck from Ford are: GVWR: 11,500 / GCVWR: 23,500 / Payload: 3277 / Front GAWR: 6000 / Rear GAWR: 7000 This is all rated at the tire specs that are currently on the vehicle.

Our 303RLS had these weights from the factory prior to water and propane. GVWR: 11,995 / GAWR (per axle): 5,200 / GAWR (both): 10,400 / UVW (no water or propane): 9,902 / Hitch Weight: 1,818

Now here were my weights...Our vehicle with all of the things mentioned (both of us) above but no trailer Front: 5140 / Rear: 4000 / Total: 9140. The trailer with all of our stuff we added and about 1/3 tank of fresh water...grey and black empty...full propane.

Next here are with trailer...Front: 5080 / Rear: 6540 / Trailer: 9100 / Total: 20740

What this tells me (again...I am a newbie to RV and towing both) is that we are fine on the trailer weight as well as the combined weight. Due to all storage on the 303 RLS it appears our hitch weight (pin, tounge etc) is now 2,540 and we are over our Fords GVWR by about 120 pounds. We have yet to add either a generator or solar or even a second battery. Heck...there is no room for my TIKI stuff!!

Please consider me immune to criticism or snickering because I am new at this. That's why we joined the forum to glean the knowledge all of you have. So please...fire away with any and all suggestions! They are most welcome. And again...thanks to all of the suggestions already given! It is very much appreciated!

Tiki Al
    Wicked Jules and Tiki Al
    Oakley CA
    2021 GD Reflection 303RLS
    2015 F-350 SW 4x4 King Ranch Crew Cab

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all - its me again...thanks for the quick replies. I plead newbie so I probably wasn't as clear in my original post as to what info folks needed to "weigh - in" (get it...weigh in???) Anyways...here is more info. My truck is just as that work truck as mentioned. Fully loaded King Ranch, Turbo Diesel, 4x4, Crew Cab 2015 SRW with all the tow options. FYI I bought it used to do this new adventure thinking I was getting a solid tow platform, but later realized that all of the bells and whistles can definitely impact towing capacities. Used super duty trucks are EXTREMELY rare since the RV buying surge and that was all I really had to pick from. I would have preferred a less loaded version but we have to admit...we really like it and how it drives! Anyways it has the step up tailgate (which appears to be very heavy so that is what I plan to attack first). It also has a rollup aluminum tonneau cover which again, weighs about 150 but is really nice when we aren't towing to secure things in. Removing that is also an option. We have minimal tools in it, just the basics and it had our typical travelling items in it (which are not excessive). It was weighed with both of us in it and a full fuel load (50 gallons diesel) and blu - def load.

The specs on the truck from Ford are: GVWR: 11,500 / GCVWR: 23,500 / Payload: 3277 / Front GAWR: 6000 / Rear GAWR: 7000 This is all rated at the tire specs that are currently on the vehicle.

Our 303RLS had these weights from the factory prior to water and propane. GVWR: 11,995 / GAWR (per axle): 5,200 / GAWR (both): 10,400 / UVW (no water or propane): 9,902 / Hitch Weight: 1,818

Now here were my weights...Our vehicle with all of the things mentioned (both of us) above but no trailer Front: 5140 / Rear: 4000 / Total: 9140. The trailer with all of our stuff we added and about 1/3 tank of fresh water...grey and black empty...full propane.

Next here are with trailer...Front: 5080 / Rear: 6540 / Trailer: 9100 / Total: 20740

What this tells me (again...I am a newbie to RV and towing both) is that we are fine on the trailer weight as well as the combined weight. Due to all storage on the 303 RLS it appears our hitch weight (pin, tounge etc) is now 2,540 and we are over our Fords GVWR by about 120 pounds. We have yet to add either a generator or solar or even a second battery. Heck...there is no room for my TIKI stuff!!

Please consider me immune to criticism or snickering because I am new at this. That's why we joined the forum to glean the knowledge all of you have. So please...fire away with any and all suggestions! They are most welcome. And again...thanks to all of the suggestions already given! It is very much appreciated!

Tiki Al
    Bed cover off would do it. 120 over to 30 under or so.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    2021 GD Reflection 303rls
    2019 ram 2500 Crew Cab tradesman 4x4
    Autoslider 5th wheel hitch.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say you are fine. With a payload of 3200 and change you currently have total payload now of 2480 with you your family and stuff in your truck and your trailer set up for a trip. Well within all the ratings, well, now that I think of it your tv GVWR may be about 120 pounds over (11620 vs 11500). Everything else looks good. You could fix that if so so choose by just not filling fresh water tank all the way (not sure how you have them configured).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tiki Al
    I have a very similar setup and my numbers are close to yours except that my pin weight is 2250, not 2540. Our storage bin is loaded and I have 4 lithium batteries and a 3000w inverter up front. The big difference that I see is that we have 2 e-bikes and a heavy bike rack hanging off the back of the trailer (about 190 lbs.). The bikes unload the pin but add to the trailer load so our trailer weight is closer to the limit than yours is. If you get a rear cargo carrier and put a generator and whatever else you want on there, the numbers would look better. But, if you add solar, batteries, and other components up front you will go over on the truck and maybe on the trailer since you have only 355 lbs. left there. You can shed more of the water to help out. Depending on how you camp, this may not be a big problem but if you are determined to be within all the limits, you will need more payload and then you can move some stuff onto the truck. We have a GVWR on our truck of 12,100 and we use 11,600 of it.
    2021 Reflection 303rls
    2021 GMC 3500HD AT4 4X4 Duramax Standard Box
    2021 B&W Companion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast