Quote Originally Posted by WickedJulesTikiAl View Post
Hi all - its me again...thanks for the quick replies. I plead newbie so I probably wasn't as clear in my original post as to what info folks needed to "weigh - in" (get it...weigh in???) Anyways...here is more info. My truck is just as that work truck as mentioned. Fully loaded King Ranch, Turbo Diesel, 4x4, Crew Cab 2015 SRW with all the tow options. FYI I bought it used to do this new adventure thinking I was getting a solid tow platform, but later realized that all of the bells and whistles can definitely impact towing capacities. Used super duty trucks are EXTREMELY rare since the RV buying surge and that was all I really had to pick from. I would have preferred a less loaded version but we have to admit...we really like it and how it drives! Anyways it has the step up tailgate (which appears to be very heavy so that is what I plan to attack first). It also has a rollup aluminum tonneau cover which again, weighs about 150 but is really nice when we aren't towing to secure things in. Removing that is also an option. We have minimal tools in it, just the basics and it had our typical travelling items in it (which are not excessive). It was weighed with both of us in it and a full fuel load (50 gallons diesel) and blu - def load.

The specs on the truck from Ford are: GVWR: 11,500 / GCVWR: 23,500 / Payload: 3277 / Front GAWR: 6000 / Rear GAWR: 7000 This is all rated at the tire specs that are currently on the vehicle.

Our 303RLS had these weights from the factory prior to water and propane. GVWR: 11,995 / GAWR (per axle): 5,200 / GAWR (both): 10,400 / UVW (no water or propane): 9,902 / Hitch Weight: 1,818

Now here were my weights...Our vehicle with all of the things mentioned (both of us) above but no trailer Front: 5140 / Rear: 4000 / Total: 9140. The trailer with all of our stuff we added and about 1/3 tank of fresh water...grey and black empty...full propane.

Next here are with trailer...Front: 5080 / Rear: 6540 / Trailer: 9100 / Total: 20740

What this tells me (again...I am a newbie to RV and towing both) is that we are fine on the trailer weight as well as the combined weight. Due to all storage on the 303 RLS it appears our hitch weight (pin, tounge etc) is now 2,540 and we are over our Fords GVWR by about 120 pounds. We have yet to add either a generator or solar or even a second battery. Heck...there is no room for my TIKI stuff!!

Please consider me immune to criticism or snickering because I am new at this. That's why we joined the forum to glean the knowledge all of you have. So please...fire away with any and all suggestions! They are most welcome. And again...thanks to all of the suggestions already given! It is very much appreciated!

Tiki Al
While the yellow sticker numbers are nice, they are mostly tax and registration driven. You've got a good handle on the issue...which is the usual one....pin weight. That said, your real world limitations are axle ratings and tire ratings. Don't ever exceed these. I wouldn't worry about being a few hundred lbs over on pin weight so long as you are comfortable within the component ratings. Tires are usually the weakest link. I don't know what your design is, but if you have a rear hitch on the trailer you can carefully use a storage platform to move some weight back of the axles.
I would suggest adding a timbren style spring to the truck. Also, if the truck has been used for towing pay close attention to the shocks. For a few hundred bucks some Bilstein 4600 shocks would firm up your towing platform. Happy towing[emoji2]

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk