Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Leaf spring

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaf spring

Was going to install the dexter-ez flex suspension today. Well long story short, didn’t have all the tension off the rear passenger side leaf spring & as you can imagine when I hit the bolt out of the shackle it sprung up and hit the frame. Thought maybe it might of flattened out on me but after I took it off it still had the curve to it. Figured I would tackle this project another day when I got more time. When I put that leaf spring back on i figured I would at least put the bronze bushing & wet bolts from morryde on and save me time for the next time. It didn’t quite line up with the stock equalizer though so I think it might have twisted it just a bit, can’t tell with the naked eye. When I put the morryde shackles on it took some pushing and shoving to get it to go. The inside shackle won’t sit flush against the leaf spring eye. Took it for test drive in town and highway and everything is fine except for when I turn in our cul d sac to back into driveway and got a loud pop that I’ve never heard before doing this. I Want to replace it but are they Dexter leaf springs?
    Last edited by Hitsman3; 05-27-2021 at 05:45 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsman3 View Post
    Was going to install the dexter-ez flex suspension today. Well long story short, didn’t have all the tension off the rear passenger side leaf spring & as you can imagine when I hit the bolt out of the shackle it sprung up and hit the frame. Thought maybe it might of flattened out on me but after I took it off it still had the curve to it. Figured I would tackle this project another day when I got more time. When I put that leaf spring back on i figured I would at least put the bronze bushing & wet bolts from morryde on and save me time for the next time. It didn’t quite line up with the stock equalizer though so I think it might have twisted it just a bit, can’t tell with the naked eye. When I put the morryde shackles on it took some pushing and shoving to get it to go. The inside shackle won’t sit flush against the leaf spring eye. Took it for test drive in town and highway and everything is fine except for when I turn in our cul d sac to back into driveway and got a loud pop that I’ve never heard before doing this. I Want to replace it but are they Dexter leaf springs?
    Any good trailer or suspension shop would likely have a better and more likely less costly replacement than a Dexter item. In fact if you take it in they could check it to verify for you. Could the pop be a tire grabbing then slipping as you turn?
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Any good trailer or suspension shop would likely have a better and more likely less costly replacement than a Dexter item. In fact if you take it in they could check it to verify for you. Could the pop be a tire grabbing then slipping as you turn?
    Don’t think it’s a tire, could feel it in the truck. Think maybe that leaf spring got bound up making the tight turn than popped as I straightened out.
    Jason & Jamie
    2016 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsman3 View Post
    Don’t think it’s a tire, could feel it in the truck. Think maybe that leaf spring got bound up making the tight turn than popped as I straightened out.

Did you have a weight distributing hitch installed when you turned around in the cul d sac? If so, I'd say it was you tension bars popping, which is normal. Mine are more noisy at low speeds when I turn.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Unlimitedmatt;372365]Did you have a weight distributing hitch installed when you turned around in the cul d sac? If so, I'd say it was you tension bars popping, which is normal. Mine are more noisy at low speeds when I turn.
    Yes I do, Husky centerline. I thought maybe it could be that since you could feel it but I’ve never heard it pop that loud before.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Hitsman3;372370]
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimitedmatt View Post
    Did you have a weight distributing hitch installed when you turned around in the cul d sac? If so, I'd say it was you tension bars popping, which is normal. Mine are more noisy at low speeds when I turn.
    Yes I do, Husky centerline. I thought maybe it could be that since you could feel it but I’ve never heard it pop that loud before.
    Now that you mention how loud yours was, I had a funny thing happen to me yesterday. I was in the parking lot at a tire store, making a tight turn around, when my torsion bars let out a loud pop. I was so loud that a guy standing 30 feet away jumped and spun around to see what it was.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Hitsman3;372370]
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimitedmatt View Post
    I use to have the Husky Centerline, and on tight turns, every so often they would pop. Never figured out exactly what caused them to though. As they got older, boy could they light up a neighborhood.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles