User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Everything!

Hello all,

Looking for some feedback, good, bad, or indifferent from experienced RV’ers. I currently live in NY, and am in the process of building a home in FL which will be my primary residence. I have 1 daughter who is 12 and the plan was always to wait until she graduated high school to build on our property in FL. Being the housing market is through the roof, we have decided to sell our house in NY now and start the build process ASAP. For years we have considered purchasing an RV to live in while our home is built, but I didn’t want to lay out the initial investment when I could put that money into the house build. We also plan to come up to the northeast in the summers to see friends and family so the RV seems like a good option. We would be in it for 3 months every year, and possibly full time for a year or so while the house is being built. I’m looking at the 398M. I have motorcycles, and thought I could convert the garage into a nice office space for us. There are also camp grounds near our property in FL with long term sites, so I have that covered.

I know we are in a crazy market right now, and I guess that’s my biggest concern. In a normal market, how is the resale on a unit this big? I know I can expect a 40-50% depreciation, but the way I’m looking at it, renting a house (1. While mine is built, and 2. Summers in the northeast) is equal to the depreciation. And the RV gives me the freedom to explore different places, be adventurous, etc. I have looked at some used ones but have not found anything I like. 398M’s are impossible to find, and everything else I’ve seen just hasn’t fit the bill.

I guess my biggest question is in a normal market, and priced correctly, is it difficult to sell a big RV in good condition? If I make this leap, we will definitely be in it for 3-4yrs minimum. I know lots of people with smaller RV’s just for vacationing, and even owned a slide on myself for a short time. I see people buy them for a year or so to try RVing, then sell, so IMO, I think there is more turnover on the smaller units, but I think the bigger units have a smaller market. Am I correct?

Thanks for any input!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all the newbies buying RVs over the past few years, there will likely be a ton of used ones that flood the market over the next 2 to 5 years. I think you are right about such a big unit as the 398M. Probably not many sold and probably not to newbies who would sell quickly once they find out they don't use it or can't tow it. So yours would likely hold its value better than others, but you will have a limited number of buyers wanting it too. Right now on RVTrader, there is only one 398M used for sale ($85K asking price in California).
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, doing more research, I’m having some second thoughts on this and could really use some real world advice. The RV parks near my property in Fl, from what I’ve seen, either have some terrible reviews or are very expensive for the higher end ones. (Like $2,000 mo.!!). I’m also concerned about purchasing such a large RV. Is it more difficult to get a spot in most parks with a 42’ rig?? In my research I’m seeing some horror stories of people arriving at parks and not fitting in a spot that the park said they would fit into. Is this common?! Also, anyone have any recommendations on a long term spot in the Stuart Fl area??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you looked into buying a park model RV instead of one design to travel up and down the road a lot? I have seen a lot of those park models that would be great for what you are talking about. Unless you are thinking of moving it for vacationing, not a good option. If you are thinking of buying and parking it for 3 to 4 years, a park model may be a better option than a Momentum.

https://www.rvtrader.com/Park-Model/...Model%7C198072

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I'm new to trailers/5th wheels myself. Finding a space to fit into was never an issue for us. We have been traveling since 2004, our 1st Coach was a Pace Arrow 39". Second was a 40ft Providence. The one we just sold was a 45" Entegra Coach towing a Ram 1500. This made us about 70" long. We never had an issue finding a spot. We always got a pull thru. I don't think you will have a problem. Since we got "old" we decided to try a trailer. Looked at all type 5th wheels and trailers. We thought the best was the Grand Desigh. We bought a 2021 Ram heavy duty 3500 4x4 and purchased a new Reflection 315RTLS. We think it suites us well and look forward to our first outing. Rv' are like boats, get a 16 footer and you'll want a 18 footer, then a 20 footer.get what you want the first time and you'll save lots of money and time. Good luck and happy traveling.
    P.S. always start with 35% off MSRP.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Next Level View Post
    I’m having some second thoughts on this and could really use some real world advice.
    We lived in Port St. Lucie before retiring and going full time in 2011. I am sure things have changed a bunch since then but there were very few "full time" RV parks in the area when we left. Just reading your initial post I would advise renting the house while the other one is built and buying a smaller RV to travel with. Back when we were there you get get rental houses in Port St. Lucie all day long at reasonable prices. Just my 2 cents....
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, rentals are non existent in the Stuart area right now, but I have decided to go that route. Thank you for the replies!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A larger rig does lower the number of choices. That said, we do book in advance and we can typically get something in the area we want to be. When I am going to a campground for the first time, I try to speak to someone to confirm they can handle a 41' rig with 5 slides. Bottom line, I love having the space and if I were buying another, I would go big. Not saying there are not challenges to a big rig, but, for me, worth it.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    With all the newbies buying RVs over the past few years, there will likely be a ton of used ones that flood the market over the next 2 to 5 years. I think you are right about such a big unit as the 398M. Probably not many sold and probably not to newbies who would sell quickly once they find out they don't use it or can't tow it. So yours would likely hold its value better than others, but you will have a limited number of buyers wanting it too. Right now on RVTrader, there is only one 398M used for sale ($85K asking price in California).
    I agree there will be a glut of used campers on the market. I wonder how many will be in good shape after the newbies sell them off. I can’t imagine they are getting the routine maintenance they require. RV’ing is a lot more work than most people imagine.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab