User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the dealership fixed the fridge and said it was the thermal fuse described in the post. Fast forward a month and a half later and during a camping trip it happened again. I tested the thermal fuse and it was bad and able to get a replacement one from Newport marine and RV repair in a Saturday and replace it. The fridge now works so it’s definitely not the control board. I understand something is causing it to overload/heat but not sure what it could be. Is anyone aware of this being a common issue with refrigerators that are located in slide outs?

About a month ago after the first repair I stress tested it during 3-4 days of temperatures in the high 90’s while it was plugged into shore power and operating on 110 and it worked fine the whole time. During the hot part of the day I did notice the auxiliary fan located towards the top of the venting was running so I’m wondering if this is only an issue when it’s running on propane as both times it has happened are when we are running the fridge with propane.

Hopefully the dealer will be able to figure it out but concerned about not using it much here after another month or so and not getting it completely resolved during the warranty period. Would a replacement fridge be something I should push for and maybe a different brand? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dometic fridge overheating and blowing thermoses

I've had the same fridge problems with my 2022 Imagine 17mke. As stated, the fridge and water heater are mounted on the back of the trailer. Some people have commented that the back of trailer mounting of these components are affected by air vortices (think following a semi-trailer closely). This condition interferes with proper ventilation/cooling of the fridge and also may cause a blow torch effect on the propane flame. Whatever the cause, it's causing OVERHEATING of the fridge flue which results in melted thermofuses (about $50 from a dealer every time it happens). My fridge also has a resettable thermostat fuse attached directly to the cover of the flue. I'm in the process of adding an ARP Fridge Defend to my Dometic DM2882 in the Imagine 17mre. Go to their website arprv.com and spend some time reading about the problem and the solution. Their product measures the flue temperature of the boiler and shuts the fridge down temporarily until the flue temp goes down; then turns the fridge back on. Very easy to install. This overheating can occur when on the road due to unlevel conditions caused by steep inclines/declines or unlevel parking. I'm also going to add a baffle to the upper vent to direct more air through the upper condenser fins. It will be just a simple piece of tin that closes the space from the bottom of the upper vent to the bottom of the condenser fins. Along with this, you can buy fans with the Fridge Defend system to pull more air through the upper and lower vents. The fans connect to the Fridge Defend controller, not the Dometic controller. The dealers don't seem to know what the problem is or how to fix it. P!sses me off that I only got 4 nights in this new trailer all summer due to the trailer sitting in the dealers lot waiting to be fixed (and also recovering from having the trailer stolen off of the dealers lot and the subsequent retrieval of the trailer). ...But that's another story!
    Last edited by drolfs; 11-06-2021 at 08:40 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have photos of this being replaced?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to hear anything more about this issue from you.
    We just had the exact same problem word for word.

I want to find the best way to not make this never happen again.

Even if it means having the supplies to fix on the road.

Just happen to us on our first trip on day one, and hottest day of the year.....

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a link to ARP Frig Defend: https://www.arprv.com/products.php
    The gadget is about the size of a deck of cards. In simple terms, the Fridge Defend senses overheating in the flue of the frig, and cuts the power to the refrigerator. This shuts the propane to frig off. After so many minutes, it reconnects power and the propane heater in the frig reignites. If the Frig Defend goes through about 5 cycles of this, it shuts the frig off and gives off alarm beeps.

Since installing the Frig Defend, I have had no more problems. It's easy to install yourself if you have a little experience wiring 12 volt stuff. My camper is tucked away 10 miles from here. If I get close to it, I'll try to get some pictures. Not much to see but a tidy wiring job.

I'm not affiliated with this product. In my opinion, this should be a required safety feature on propane refrigerators. I contacted Grand Design about this problem. They told me not to run the refrigerator while traveling. Stupid option.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the Fridge Defend install page for the Dometic refrigerator in my Imagine 17mke: https://www.arprv.com/rm3862.php

The only procedure that was slightly intimidating was taking an access panel off of the boiler flue and tucking the Fridge Defend heat sensor under the insulation. (It measures the flue temperature). It really was easy though. I think the heat sensor triggers the Fridge Defend to shut down the power when the flue reaches about 800-900 F degrees. This is in contrast to the boiler housing thermal fuse that is installed in the Dometic that trips at about 1500 F (ie. about the temperature that your trailer goes up in flames). The boiler housing thermal fuse is the kind you might find in a hair dryer or clothes dryer. There's also another thermal fuse on the Dometic that trips at high temperature and is destructive to the fuse (ie. you need about $50-$100 and a dealer to replace it). All those fuses that trip at high temperature stay in place and will do nothing because the Fridge Defend never lets the refrigerator boiler reach those high temperatures. In fact, if you ever want to bypass the Fridge Defend for any reason, you just reconnect 1 or 2 wires and you're back to the crappy way your refrigerator used to work.
    Last edited by drolfs; 07-15-2022 at 12:45 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a Ton, drolfs

I will be looking into this idea.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dianne View Post
    Thanks a Ton, drolfs

I will be looking into this idea.
    @Peter Dianne -

Here are a few forum tips:

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

3) You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone ever installed the Microtemp G4A00 with TF 152C .
    Was wondering if this works on our 2022 17 mke and what tools were needed?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So just as a quick follow up.
    It was the Thermal Bulb.
    The next step will be to buy a Microtemp G4A00 with TF 152C from Amazon.
    and maybe prep it with a wire so I can do a quick install if it ever happens again.
    The dealer never gave a part number so I hope this one will work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	42031

Name:	b.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	42032

Name:	c.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	42033
    Last edited by Peter Dianne; 07-24-2022 at 10:34 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast