Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New RECALL - propane regulator

Quote Originally Posted by Boatfixx View Post
    Well... It shows their willingness to get it resolved without having to take it to a GD dealership.

I'd encourage people to call, and ask them if it can be done at any RV repair, and then send them the invoice for reimbursement.

As per a pre-agreement, my company has repaired a few air conditioners, and refrigerators for RV's and there owners were reimbursed.
    Taking it anywhere for a $40 part that is easily installed is a waste of time for me. I replaced it a month ago with a Flame King. Willing to work with the customer would be for them to reimburse me and not take it to an incompetent rv dealer or anyone else. Most anyone I’ve hired to do anything in my life has never done it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by thegreenblade; 07-17-2021 at 09:17 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreenblade View Post
    Taking it anywhere for a $40 part that is easily installed is a waste of time for me. I replaced it a month ago with a Flame King. Willing to work with the customer would be for them to reimburse me and not take it to an incompetent rv dealer or anyone else. Most anyone I’ve hired to do anything in my life has never done it right.

Sorry to hear you’ve had such bad luck with service in your life.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreenblade View Post

I have to agree with you. Last time I took my camper to the dealer, they ran a forklift through the front of it. So, I avoid the dealer when possible. And when I do it, I know it is right. I still don’t understand why the pressure testing is necessary. What tool could I buy that will measure this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealMacGyver View Post
    I have to agree with you. Last time I took my camper to the dealer, they ran a forklift through the front of it. So, I avoid the dealer when possible. And when I do it, I know it is right. I still don’t understand why the pressure testing is necessary. What tool could I buy that will measure this?
    Two things to consider this is considered a safety recall so manufacturers have to ensure the problem is solved. It is an over-pressure condition that needs to be validated with the new regulator. It is a simple test that any certified technician can perform. There are many mobile techs as well as other repair facilities besides dealers that can perform this.

Kevin & Deb. 2021 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW Platinum
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum Edition

[/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50ST8R View Post
    Two things to consider this is considered a safety recall so manufacturers have to ensure the problem is solved. It is an over-pressure condition that needs to be validated with the new regulator. It is a simple test that any certified technician can perform. There are many mobile techs as well as other repair facilities besides dealers that can perform this.

Kevin & Deb. 2021 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW Platinum
    Can this overpressure condition be caused by anything other than the regulator? I’ve replaced regulators on grills and never have done a pressure test.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can this overpressure condition be caused by anything other than the regulator? I’ve replaced regulators on grills and never have done a pressure test.
    Don’t see how it could be anything other than the regulator. The high pressure in the propane tanks are connected to the low pressure appliances in the rig thru the regulator, if the regulator fails, high pressure could be applied throughout the rig. That’s why this is a safety recall and is legally (in some jurisdictions) beyond the scope of shade tree mechanics.

Like many here, I was given a repair date of late August by my original GDRV dealer. Luckily, a new dealer has opened in our area and although they can’t sell GDRVs due to franchise I assume, they can fix them. Have an appointment for next week. They advised I could leave the TT hitched and enjoy a coffee while they replace the regulator. The reason for a two week wait is due to part arrival, I assume from GDRV.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    Don’t see how it could be anything other than the regulator. The high pressure in the propane tanks are connected to the low pressure appliances in the rig thru the regulator, if the regulator fails, high pressure could be applied throughout the rig. That’s why this is a safety recall and is legally (in some jurisdictions) beyond the scope of shade tree mechanics.

Like many here, I was given a repair date of late August by my original GDRV dealer. Luckily, a new dealer has opened in our area and although they can’t sell GDRVs due to franchise I assume, they can fix them. Have an appointment for next week. They advised I could leave the TT hitched and enjoy a coffee while they replace the regulator. The reason for a two week wait is due to part arrival, I assume from GDRV.
    Exactly my point. If the regulator is being recalled, buy a new one, replace it, and move on. Why the pressure test needed? Seems like it just complicates things. Leak test makes sense, but this recall is not for leaks, it is for overpressure condition which is only caused by the regulator. Change the regulator and you are good.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly my point. If the regulator is being recalled, buy a new one, replace it, and move on. Why the pressure test needed? Seems like it just complicates things. Leak test makes sense, but this recall is not for leaks, it is for overpressure condition which is only caused by the regulator. Change the regulator and you are good.
    No question that in the vast majority of cases a new regulator would work just fine. Installation of a regulator by a certified tech requires a pressure test, the way I understand it. That test is more than just turning on the appliances and seeing if they work. The new regulator could be an out of box failure, it does happen. It is very simple to make up a manometer and measure 11 inches of water column if you want to do it yourself.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    No question that in the vast majority of cases a new regulator would work just fine. Installation of a regulator by a certified tech requires a pressure test, the way I understand it. That test is more than just turning on the appliances and seeing if they work. The new regulator could be an out of box failure, it does happen. It is very simple to make up a manometer and measure 11 inches of water column if you want to do it yourself.
    Thanks, that is kind of what I figured. Average Joe like me is just going to swap it out, leak test, and call it done. So, an overpressure condition could probably happen anytime and anyplace. I know I have a griddle and a large flame thrower I use to burn weeds. Sometimes with the flame thrower it will trigger the internal tank shut-off and I will have to shut down bleed and reopen the valve slowly. So there is another safety feature built into the tank itself. I am thinking if you are cooking on the stove, the flame would all of the sudden get very big and you would just turn it off. Inside the oven or the HW tank would not be so obvious so probably a bit more of a danger. But let’s face it, this could probably happen anytime really!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my notice, read through the whole thread, then called Grand Design after talking to my dealer. GD recommended replacement before next trip as a safety concern. Dealer couldn’t get us in until October, but had both kinds of regulators mentioned in this thread in stock. I bought the “nicer?” one, then set about finding someone authorized to do the work. (I’m capable, but also understand the need to have the recall done professionally). Don’t want to lose most of the season, and if I couldn’t find anyone to do it I likely would have changed it myself to prevent issues.

Long story short, one of the 9 RV dealers I called referred me to a propane shop in town. They happily popped the old one off, new one on, leak check, pressure test 10+ min. Whole thing took less than 30min and they did it in the parking lot without an appointment.

I will come back and post Grand Design’s response when I submit my invoices. They had stated that as long as an RV dealer did the work, they would reimburse up to xxx amount. I don’t expect an issue (but even if there is, all in it was $120, and could have been <$100 with the cheaper regulator). To their credit, GD has answered right away and been awesome to deal with every time I’ve called.

So, if you are worried, try a local propane shop! The one near me even sold the regulators.
    Last edited by Stealth13777; 07-23-2021 at 07:37 PM.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast