User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude Dual Water Filters with Clear Housings - Plumbed Directly In

Like many others, I decided to plumb in my own water filtration system and I have a thing for making things look like how it would have come out from the factory and I found the best combination of parts to do that (or at least that's what I think.)

I used two Pentek Clear Water Filter Housings and plumbed them directly in with the crimp rings and a double-male threaded connecter to have the housings sit as close as possible to one another and still fit within the water-cabinet section of the storage area. I've attached the Amazon link to the housings and the plumbing fittings are dependent upon whichever threading pattern you buy on the housing. All you need is a 90 degree elbow for the initial inlet side (pex to thread), a double male threaded connector between the two housings, and then a straight threaded to pex piece at the end going back into the trailer's plumbing line. After that you'll have what looks like a factory built in water filtration system that uses the factory plumbing lines and you also have the convenience of seeing your first stage water filter whenever you empty your tanks so you can keep an eye on filter changes.

PS - I use a short white hose that goes straight down through the hole in the cabinet to a PRV that sits on a block beneath the trailer and then a hose line from that to the spigot. I've heard horror stories of the PRV's leaking so I prefer to keep that component outside of the storage area and only have securely plumbed items within the wet cabinet.

Amazon Link for Pentek Housings

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	34557
    2021 Solitude 378MBS-R Fifth Wheel
    Cummins Onan 6500 LP

2020 Reflection 287RLTS Travel Trailer
    Dual Honda EU3000iS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What cartridges are you using? Do you continue to use the basic blue cartridge at the faucet?
    2019 F350 DRW, Crew Cab, Long bed,
    B&W Companion Hitch w/puck system
    2020 Solitude 310-GK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice install.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those Camco Inline Filters are only rated to 100 microns, and most of the things you are trying to keep out of your plumbing are smaller than 100 microns so I opt not to bother with them. They do satisfy the taste and odour issues of bad water, but beyond that they're rather useless in comparison to a real filtration system. So I choose not to use those inline filters since I am able to visually see how my filters are doing at all times and my first stage filter is rated to 5 Microns. My second stage is a carbon filter rated to 1 micron to catch anything and everything else remaining in the water. I set it up this way because the cellulose filter will "protect" the carbon filter so that I can get extra life out of it while I keep an eye on how dirty the cellulose filter is and change it more frequently. You know to change the carbon filter once the water begins to have a taste or odour again.

An interesting thing I discovered from people using those In-Line Camco Filters is that their total dissolved solids actually tend to increase when using those filters. I believe that is because some of the media in the filter itself is actually finer than the cellulose-caps' ability to filter at both ends of the charcoal that are supposed to keep the contents of the filter inside of it rather than letting it slowly escape the cartridge over time which is what the dissolved solids increase is about, the carbon leaking through the Camco filter itself. I've attached a screenshot of a video where a guy on YouTube cut one of them open and you can see that there is a lot of carbon media inside of them which is nice. However, the cellulose caps on both ends of that carbon stack seem very incapable filtering much beyond that point. Plus you can see that the first filter is dirty from turbidity/iron/etc and the second cellulose filter is greyed from catching the fine carbon particles as they try to leak through the filter into the RV. That's just my .02, and I'm open to people who know more about this than me commenting. I'm always down to learn more!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 7.32.20 AM.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	496.0 KB 
ID:	34872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 7.32.51 AM.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	411.8 KB 
ID:	34873
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 7.32.17 AM.png  
    2021 Solitude 378MBS-R Fifth Wheel
    Cummins Onan 6500 LP

2020 Reflection 287RLTS Travel Trailer
    Dual Honda EU3000iS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude Dual Water Filters with Clear Housings - Plumbed Directly In

I’m going to try and duplicate your setup on my 2022 380Fl
    Trying to find the connection between the two filters that you used.

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn Megacab
    2021 RAM 3500 Blackout Megacab
    2019 OpenRange 3X427BHS
    2020 Jayco NorthPoint 382FL
    2021 Luxe Elite 42FL
    2022 Grand Design Solitude 380FL-R
    Last edited by The Hoff; 01-15-2022 at 07:58 AM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whichever thread rate you chose for your Pentek Housing tops, which is in the description for it, you will then choose a matching double-male threaded coupler. Can be plastic or water safe brass and is usually available on Amazon as well by searching for the thread rate + “double male”

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found them. I did brass.

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn Megacab
    2021 RAM 3500 Blackout Megacab
    2019 OpenRange 3X427BHS
    2020 Jayco NorthPoint 382FL
    2021 Luxe Elite 42FL
    2022 Grand Design Solitude 380FL-R