User Tag List

Thread: Spare Tire Rim

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spare Tire Rim

Had a tire blow out on my 2021 320G the other day less than 2000 miles on the tires. Waited for 3 hours for Good Sam to get back with me to tell me who was coming out to help but never did hear from them called back a few times and it was like starting over each time. I had enough so got out my bottle jack got the lugs broke before I jacked up the trailer lowered the spare tire and couldn't hardly move it from under the trailer let alone pick it up to put it on the trailer. The spare has a solid steel rim that must weight 75 lbs without the tire on it I couldn't believe how much it weighted. Finally got a person to come out from a truck stop to help me out. When I get back home I am going to replace that steel disk with an aluminum rim of some kind. I am 69 years young and never have seen a rim like that. You might want to take a look at yours and see what you have.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always carry a dolly like the one below with you and set the tire down on the dolly. Trying to slide even a light tire would be difficult with all that friction from the rubber you are trying to overcome. Or set the tire down, then move the trailer forward and begin the tire change process. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210603-155341_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	34639

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's honestly a standard steel trailer wheel of the appropriate capacity. The spare for your tow vehicle is likely as heavy or more so the dolly might be a good suggestion or swapping both to aluminum wheels. Not good to hear this about Roadside Assistance either!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    It's honestly a standard steel trailer wheel of the appropriate capacity. The spare for your tow vehicle is likely as heavy or more so the dolly might be a good suggestion or swapping both to aluminum wheels. Not good to hear this about Roadside Assistance either!
    If it is like mine,,,,, it is not what I consider standard. There was(is?) a racing wheel called centerlines. They are made of aluminum. Imagine a wheel like that made of steel at least 1/4" thick. I hope i never have to use it.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it was very difficult to drag out from under the trailer on the side of I40. Thanks for the suggestion's would not have thought about the cart. The stock rim is a lionhead so I am going to see about one of those. It is just like a centerline rim solid with a bunch of lug holes to fit anything needing a 17.5 rim. I have had three different 5th wheels over the last 20 years and have never has a rim like this. Maybe GD could include it as an option when I did my PDI inspection I made sure the spare was there but didn't look at it. Thanks

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    If it is like mine,,,,, it is not what I consider standard. There was(is?) a racing wheel called centerlines. They are made of aluminum. Imagine a wheel like that made of steel at least 1/4" thick. I hope i never have to use it.
    Lol! Not only do I have several sets of Cebterlines up in the garage loft, I have the same spare and 3 other trailers with similar and my big dump trailer has 17.5" in that design as standard runners! I have back problems, but also learned in my youth working in a tire shop how to handle the big wheels without pure muscle. A little secret to crank-downs - have a hook to snag them as you crank them down and use it the pull the spare to your side while still suspended. Lay it down right at the edge, and you can then tilt it up and roll it.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabidd View Post
    Had a tire blow out on my 2021 320G the other day less than 2000 miles on the tires. Waited for 3 hours for Good Sam to get back with me to tell me who was coming out to help but never did hear from them called back a few times and it was like starting over each time. I had enough so got out my bottle jack got the lugs broke before I jacked up the trailer lowered the spare tire and couldn't hardly move it from under the trailer let alone pick it up to put it on the trailer. The spare has a solid steel rim that must weight 75 lbs without the tire on it I couldn't believe how much it weighted. Finally got a person to come out from a truck stop to help me out. When I get back home I am going to replace that steel disk with an aluminum rim of some kind. I am 69 years young and never have seen a rim like that. You might want to take a look at yours and see what you have.
    I removed my tire from underneath and mounted it to the rear receiver just because of the issues you are having. I also bought replacement aluminum rims Upgraded to 16" tires.
    Here is a link to that thread https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ighlight=spare This is before I changed rims.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar