User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey tank 1 overflow

Hi all it appears i overfilled my grey 1 tank this weekend and it began spilling out the bottom of my camper. My wife and her 20 minuets shower. while not on sewer hookup over filled the grey 1 tank to the point it had backed up in the shower. I dumped it into a tote but not before it started to come out on the bottom or the camper below the water heater and furnace area. Reflection 150 268bh.

I opened the basement and could see a bit of water on the basement floor which i cleaned up and put a fan in there. wasn't allot of water. maybe a quart total came out. pulled the gate pretty quick when i saw it leaking. Should i be concerned. is there not an overflow path for the water if the tank gets over filled? thanks

Tonyk

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - you should be concerned. The only thing overfilling a gray tank should do is to back up into the shower. It should not be leaking into the basement. This would indicate a leak in the shower P-trap or other plumbing associated with that gray tank. You didn't say what year your RV is, but if within the warranty period, this should be a warranty issue. You also need to be concerned about whatever got wet with the leak. Water is the most damaging thing that can happen to the structure of your RV other than a collision.

You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I create the sig thanks. is it possible the shower Over flowed. it seems like it has a skirt around the bottom. Maybe she let the water get to high. It hasn't leaked before now. Only this time with the tank full. You would think they would make an overflow Drain so you cant damage your RV with water if it gets to full.
    Tony Kostansek
    2021 Reflection 150 268BH
    2017 GMC 1500 6.2L

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tkostansek View Post
    I create the sig thanks. is it possible the shower Over flowed. it seems like it has a skirt around the bottom. Maybe she let the water get to high. It hasn't leaked before now. Only this time with the tank full. You would think they would make an overflow Drain so you cant damage your RV with water if it gets to full.
    If you're asking if it's possible the shower pan itself overflowed, yes - but you're the only ones who can answer that question. I would think it would be pretty obvious if the water level made it up to the top of the shower pan (including water on the floor). The shower pans are one piece and wouldn't leak unless they are cracked or filled up to overflowing (which, technically, is not a leak). A watchful user is the best protection against filling up and overflowing the shower pan.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, your gray tanks are not glued to the piping.

The piping from the shower and sinks simply slides into a rubber gasket on the tank.

Odds are, if it was backed up into the shower, it just leaked from around that rubber gasket.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tkostansek View Post
    Hi all it appears i overfilled my grey 1 tank this weekend and it began spilling out the bottom of my camper. My wife and her 20 minuets shower. while not on sewer hookup over filled the grey 1 tank to the point it had backed up in the shower. I dumped it into a tote but not before it started to come out on the bottom or the camper below the water heater and furnace area. Reflection 150 268bh.

I opened the basement and could see a bit of water on the basement floor which i cleaned up and put a fan in there. wasn't allot of water. maybe a quart total came out. pulled the gate pretty quick when i saw it leaking. Should i be concerned. is there not an overflow path for the water if the tank gets over filled? thanks

Tonyk
    Wow! Filled up a 71 gallon grey tank. I was going to suggest you could use the second grey tank to equalize but I see you only have one. I wouldn't certainly air everything out as you said you did. I would certainly check up on what @huntr70 pointed out about the pipe joints leaking.

I use a color code system with my wife for water usage - Green = we have sewer so use all you want, Yellow = no sewer and empty tanks use sparingly, Red = No sewer and tanks are almost full, military shower. A 20 minute shower with no sewer connection is strongly discouraged.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grey tanks fills up real quick. We found we can last just 3-4 days on grey and 5-6 on black.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have 71 gallons. i have two tanks for 71 gallons total. She told me that the water never got more than an inch deep. So the pan didn't overflow. It had to be that gasket Tom spoke of. So these things aren't sealed i guess. Is that so the water wont backup into the Floor? or so air can get out. Is there a vent?
    Tony Kostansek
    2017 GMC 1500 6.2L

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will keep a better eye on it for sure. I just hope i don't have any water damage that i didn't see under there.
    Tony Kostansek
    2017 GMC 1500 6.2L

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't you need a second gate valve to do the equalize tanks trick? Other wise when you pull the drain cover your hosed!! correct??
    Tony Kostansek
    2017 GMC 1500 6.2L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast