User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black tank always 2/3 full.

We've had our Imagine 2500 RL for 1 year now. I've tried rinsing the black tank for up to 10 minutes but the level always shows as 2/3 full. I rinsed it this past weekend for 10 minutes with a line of trailers at the dump station behind me until I felt I couldnt tie up the dump station any longer. The water was clear coming out when I stopped. I let it finish draining but the indicator still says 2/3 full. I know its a common problem. Is it something I just have to live with?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	da29543133af46ab9506b3a0fcce7b18.png 
Views:	310 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	34365
    --
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL
    2016 Ford F-150 XLT

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty common issue.

They are resistance sensors, so most likely just "something: hanging on the probe in the tank.

You could try traveling with a bunch of clean water in the tank and add a small bag of ice before traveling. It seems to scour the sensors.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give it a try. Thanks.

How much clean water should I put in the tank? IIRC the capacity is 45 gallons.
    --
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL
    2016 Ford F-150 XLT

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go about 1/3.
    You should also look into using the Geo Method. Check this article out https://kleentank.com/the-geo-method/

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I make sure my last night camping is at a full hookup campground.
    First I dump.
    Then close the valve, and run the rinse for 3 min. (I timed it when new, so know that that comes no where near filling the tank). Open and drain.
    I'll repeat until not even little bits come out. Sometimes alternating with turning the rinse off completely, or letting the rinse run for a while with the valve open.
    It can take 20 min. to 45 min of playing with the above to get it all out.
    THEN my tank will read empty.

Of course, it then gets stuck at 2/3rd on the next trip out on about the 3rd day, and stays there until I again do a "super clean out".
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geo method works for us. I do it twice a year (When we leave for texas, and when we return in the spring)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M08l9lYs1A
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not had a issue with the black tank sensor. One of the things I do which I believe helps keep the tank and sensor clean is to use all full flow connectors, pressure regulator and a 5/8 hose to get maximum water volume to the spray head in the black tank clean out. Most of the hose y connectors with shut off valves and pressure regulators have small orifices which limit the water volume. I use this pressure regulator. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It may be in my head but I do see more water flowing out the waste water outlet then before I went to all full flow.
    Last edited by HighFive; 05-26-2021 at 05:37 AM.
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tank sensors can be notoriously unreliable. I'm not an RV tech (nor do I play one on TV), so I don't know the particular reasons why, just that it's been my experience.

The tank flush is a nice feature and I'd rather have it than not have it. But it's moderately effective for "cleaning" a tank. What seems to be most effective for me is to run the flush with the black tank closed. I time it to run for 3 minutes (and never, never walk away and leave it unattended). Then I open the valve and that sudden rush of water will better move stuff out of the tank.

Most of the chemicals are pretty good at what they do. Also good is an occasional bottle of fabric softener with a 1/2 tank of water (or let your flush run for about 2 minutes or so) in the black tank (not the greys or fresh water) when traveling. It doesn't digest or breakdown anything but it can soften and loosen some of the toilet paper which might be clinging to the inside of the tank including a sensor which allows them to move out with the next flush.

But it also just might be that no matter how clean things are it may not read as empty on your board.
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB - 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Platinum CrewMax 4x4 shortbed twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.4-liter V-6

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by finz04 View Post
    Tank sensors can be notoriously unreliable. I'm not an RV tech (nor do I play one on TV), so I don't know the particular reasons why, just that it's been my experience.

The tank flush is a nice feature and I'd rather have it than not have it. But it's moderately effective for "cleaning" a tank. What seems to be most effective for me is to run the flush with the black tank closed. I time it to run for 3 minutes (and never, never walk away and leave it unattended). Then I open the valve and that sudden rush of water will better move stuff out of the tank.

Most of the chemicals are pretty good at what they do. Also good is an occasional bottle of fabric softener with a 1/2 tank of water (or let your flush run for about 2 minutes or so) in the black tank (not the greys or fresh water) when traveling. It doesn't digest or breakdown anything but it can soften and loosen some of the toilet paper which might be clinging to the inside of the tank including a sensor which allows them to move out with the next flush.

But it also just might be that no matter how clean things are it may not read as empty on your board.
    I agree with running the flush with the valve closed only II run it for 8 minutes. I had tied it once when the gauge was working. After 10 minutes it was a little more than 3/4 full. At 8 minutes I thought I would be safe about not going to far. I will do that over and over till there is nothing but clear water coming out. takes at least 4 tiimes and quite often a lot more.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast