Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Satelite vs Antenna???

Good afternoon. Thank you for the the suggestions/answers to our questions as we continue to buy & pick out everything we will need to stock our new 337 RLS after we pick it up from the dealer in a couple of weeks. And now, my husband has a new question for you..............
    We know some folks say they are fine with antenna TV while others prefer the various choices offered from satelite. We are certainly open to your experiences and what you have found/suggest. For those who have satelite, do you also have to purchase a receiver along w/the satelite dish?
    Thanks & I'll pass your comments along to Gerald ,

Brenda B

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you choose to go with satellite you will have to purchase a receiver for each TV connected. Its not like antenna where you just split off the signal. Some resorts have cable where you dont need a cable box for every TV. I keep my rig on a seasonal site that has about 30 cable channels which covers the major networks and history, discovery and IFC which is plenty for me. If I want to watch a movie there is always DVD or if you want you can add a blur ray player.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We elected to equip our 337 with a satellite reception system in addition to the on-board antenna. We went with Dish for our programming. We purchased a Winegard Pathway X2 satellite dish, and a VIP211Z receiver. With this combination, set up is fully automatic, and you can pick up both the east and west coast feeds as needed. Picking up both feeds was important for us last summer when we travelled from California to Maine.

Here is a combination package from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-PA600.../dp/B00G1XB8O2

I'd also recommend getting the small travel tripod for the dish:
    http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-TR-15...D5MRNGS4ZF4NQD

I hope you like your new 337 as much as we do.

Jim

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for info JustinThyme & TucsonJim.....beautiful rainbow Jim. We are anxious to get out in 337, driving to see all the magnificent beauty out there!!!

Brenda B
    Gerald, Brenda B & CeCe :cool:
    2015 Deep Cherry Red Ram pulling our
    2015 GD 337RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We spend almost all of our time in the mountains no cable hookups, very seldom do we ever pickup over the air signal. We opted for satallite, we had an extra dish receiver, bought a pathway G2 antanae. Every tv must watch the same channel. Good luck and have fun outfitting your new 337!
    Becky, BoBo and Mike
    2015 Solitude 369RL
    2020 GMC 2500 Duramax
    Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hey Jim, what
    s the advantage of that type of satellite versus say the King http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...XlcaAnez8P8HAQ
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Hey Jim, what
    s the advantage of that type of satellite versus say the King http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...XlcaAnez8P8HAQ
    Paul - They look to be almost exactly the same system except that the King Tailgater does not appear to pick up both west and east coast feeds. There were places on the east coast where we could not see the west coast satellites due to trees or mountains on the horizon where the satellites would be. In that case, the dual satellite reception made the extra price worth it.

Jim

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Paul - They look to be almost exactly the same system except that the King Tailgater does not appear to pick up both west and east coast feeds. There were places on the east coast where we could not see the west coast satellites due to trees or mountains on the horizon where the satellites would be. In that case, the dual satellite reception made the extra price worth it.

Jim
    I guess I just don't understand the whole east versus west satellite thing. We've always said that we are fine with whatever over the air stuff we could or couldn't get and we carry lot's of movies or rent them while we're away but we are going to be on the road for an extended period this year so I'[ve been kicking it around. I wish there was a portable "cube" sort of satellite that would work with DirecTv for HD. Then I could just take my home box with me and I wouldn't be paying double.

Oh well
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul,

We have Direct TV and went to the East Coast last fall. Direct told me I could only get the West Coast feed as I lived west of the Mississippi. I had no trouble setting up the dish anywhere we went on the East coast last fall down to North Carolina, to Texas in January and Feb to Arizona and Nevada in February and March. I have a dish that mounts on a sled on the ground. I only have one TV in the 337, so don't have to worry about two receivers, the power splitter or any of that stuff. It worked well wherever we went and aiming the dish was not that bad of a chore except the once when I plugged the cable into "Cable" instead of "Living Room" in the water closet.

Best wishes on your future travels.

George
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all this great information & I will certainly make sure Gerald reads all of your comments. Although I don't understand all the satelite details like Hubby does, I really enjoy reading about everyone's experiences & great traveling adventures.
    We are planning to travel to dealer next week for pickup. And since we live about 2 1/2 hrs from dealer, we are planning to spend that nite @ RV Park across from dealership just to get "1st nite handle" on new 337RLS and also be right there next morning in case we have issues to discuss with dealer. Our excitement is building!!!!!!

Brenda B
    Gerald, Brenda B & CeCe :cool:
    2015 Deep Cherry Red Ram pulling our
    2015 GD 337RLS