User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

water heater issues

we are having issues. last season on our final camping trip, we tried using the water heater on gas while boondocking in the mountains, and it clicked several times, then nothing, and i don't remember seeing a dsi indicator. So this season in getting ready for a trip, we opened up heater door, and the thermal cut-off was fried, so we replaced it. then we just now tried turning on the heater with electricity, nothing, tried gas - and btw, the metal door to the heater is open so we can see what is going on - it clicked, pilot light lit, but it was a large flame so we quickly shut it off, thinking that is what fried the thermal cut-off last season. any ideas what is wrong?
    Almost Retired
    2019 Imagine XLS 21BHE
    2008 Toyota Tundra
    equalizer sway bar

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norma Miller View Post
    we are having issues. last season on our final camping trip, we tried using the water heater on gas while boondocking in the mountains, and it clicked several times, then nothing, and i don't remember seeing a dsi indicator. So this season in getting ready for a trip, we opened up heater door, and the thermal cut-off was fried, so we replaced it. then we just now tried turning on the heater with electricity, nothing, tried gas - and btw, the metal door to the heater is open so we can see what is going on - it clicked, pilot light lit, but it was a large flame so we quickly shut it off, thinking that is what fried the thermal cut-off last season. any ideas what is wrong?
    I doubt you have a pilot light. Most everthing has DSI (direct spark ignition) nowadays so the large flame you saw was probably the burner.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    correct, sorry.
    Almost Retired
    2019 Imagine XLS 21BHE
    2008 Toyota Tundra
    equalizer sway bar

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally when the water heater is on gas mode, it is a pretty large flame. Almost like a torch or afterburner on a jet engine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That large flame you saw is normal. Like FT4NOW said - like jet engine. So you should put it on gas, start it and wait to see if it heats water.

As for electric.... you can measure the electric voltage at the heating element if you remove the cover for it (just be careful). If no power then back track. Maybe check that the switch is on inside as well as the circuit breaker.

I think there is an on/off switch on the outside of the heater too. Just not sure if that is just for electric or if it is for the gas and electric. Just be sure it's on too.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you for the help, We cleaned a few places the dometic installation instructions recommended, and tried lighting on gas again, it lit with a more normal looking flame that stayed in the tube, and stayed lit so i think that is working, we will keep it on long enough to verify it is heating the water in the morning, but the electric side still wont ignite. we are going to check fuses inside the camper in the morning. Also, there is a 2amp fuse on the water heater, with two small bulbs sitting directly below it that flashed red while the heater was operating on gas. i cant find what those lights mean..
    Almost Retired
    2019 Imagine XLS 21BHE
    2008 Toyota Tundra
    equalizer sway bar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    long story short - after going through "water heater 101", both in research and practice - the least of which is not to call it a hot water heater - we have determined our problem was (yes, that's right - past tense) - our propane tank was almost empty, which did not allow enough consistent gas or pressure to keep the heater lit. Glad we are back in business with a few more tools and parts, and alot more knowledge...
    Almost Retired
    2019 Imagine XLS 21BHE
    2008 Toyota Tundra
    equalizer sway bar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norma Miller View Post
    This post is likely too late but for your thermal fuse to go you had a flame melt it. My take on this is simple. Regularly monitor the flame, it should be blue with little trace of yellow. It should be directional into the heat exchanger and not flipping around.

Often, spiders make their way into the burner tube and the nest disturbs the air to fuel ratio. Use some compressed gas with a small scrub brush (i.e. test tube cleaner) or pipe cleaner to eliminate the webs.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch