User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie Member/Shopper Asking for Advice, Education and Your Experience

I am Viet Nam Vet in reasonably good health living in rural Seattle with my wife.

Own a 100K mile 2003 Dodge Ram Long Bed Diesel, Single Rear Tire , 6 Spd Stick

Interested in Reflection 28-30 foot Models. Cant give you a reason why I dont want
    longer but just assuming the extra length and weight would be a negative ???
    re: parking, fuel milage, braking etc etc

I'm only looking at used as I dont want to take that 1st owner depreciation hit.

Ive been looking (on line only) at the 150 Series 230RL (28'),260RD (30') & 280RS (31')
    Dont need the outdoor refer/Flat Screen on 240RL

Does the extra weight of NON 150 models 26RL & 27RL make that much difference
    when towing with my 3500 Ram in Fuel Milage

Also with ALL The Options and Special Packages that GD offered in these models
    what do I want to consider NEEDED vs Wanted.....(Not using in Really Cold Temps, hopefully)

I also want to be mindful of future value when I sell in terms of 1/2 Ton popularity ???

What is considered to he best value generator and are these GD trailers wired for onboard generators
    or must I keep in bed of truck or ???

I also want to shop for used hitches as I see many on Craigs and FB Marketplace.....
    Just dont know what system is best ride , etc etc

Too many questions, I just dont want to make a good decision going in

Thanks
    Chuck S Auburm,WA
    Last edited by CamarosRus; 06-02-2021 at 02:26 PM.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CamarosRus View Post
    I am Viet Nam Vet in reasonably good health living in rural Seattle with my wife.

Own a 100K mile 2003 Dodge Ram Long Bed Diesel, Single Rear Tire , 6 Spd Stick

Interested in Reflection 28-30 foot Models. Cant give you a reason why I dont want
    longer but just assuming the extra length and weight would be a negative ???
    re: parking, fuel milage, braking etc etc

I'm only looking at used as I dont want to take that 1st owner depreciation hit.

Ive been looking (on line only) at the 150 Series 230RL (28'),260RD (30') & 280RS (31')
    Dont need the outdoor refer/Flat Screen on 240RL

Does the extra weight of NON 150 models 26RL & 27RL make that much difference
    when towing with my 3500 Ram in Fuel Milage

Also with ALL The Options and Special Packages that GD offered in these models
    what do I want to consider NEEDED vs Wanted.....(Not using in Really Cold Temps, hopefully)

I also want to be mindful of future value when I sell in terms of 1/2 Ton popularity ???

What is considered to he best value generator and are these GD trailers wired for onboard generators
    or must I keep in bed of truck or ???

I also want to shop for used hitches as I see many on Craigs and FB Marketplace.....
    Just dont know what system is best ride , etc etc

Too many questions, I just dont want to make a good decision going in

Thanks
    Chuck S Auburm,WA

The length is something for you to decide as you will get opinions going both ways. As far as going used to avoid the big depreciation on a new unit with thw way the market is so high right now you could end u paying as much for a used unit as you would on a new one. Look at what's out there and compare it to what you would pay for a new one. Not msrp.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in No Hurry To Buy but Would like Hitch Education for my 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 Single Rear Tire Long Bed.....

Hoping USED 5ver prices come down by next Fall/Winter if Covid settles down significantly ???

I do have cash and dont need fianancing

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first thread....................didnt go over very well
    I'll have to keep on reading and get education elsewhere

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK I'll give this a shot. We purchased our 303 when it was five months old in November 2018. Like you, I was concerned about length as we like to camp in the state and national parks. Like you I wanted to stay under 30 feet making it easy to get into tight sites. I know I am at my weight limit with my F250 and we have to pack accordingly. If I had a one ton I would not be concerned about trailer weight. Now that I have about 15,000 miles of towing experience I am not concerned about my trailer length of approximately 32 feet. In fact, I am so glad we went with the 303 and have the extra space. I don't see any difference in parking a 32 foot versus 30 foot 5th wheel and we have managed to get in some really wonky spots. I would encourage you to go with a floor plan you and your wife like and not worry about trailer length, within reason. I like you idea of buying used. Certainly conditions were different when we purchased our unit but I can't believe you can't save significant money buying used in the current market. Be patient, be willing to travel for the right unit and you will find the right trailer for you. I have no doubt there are some owners out there who overpaid for their trailer and are upside down in the trailer value. You have no obligation to subsidize their mistake. Good luck with your search.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, Thanks for your above reply...................

303RLS has GVWR of 11,995 80 Gal Fresh 87 Gray 47 Black 2 Bath Door Radius Shower Door Bedroom Slide 12 Cu Ft Frig
    295 RL has GVWR of 10,995 62 Gal Fresh 78 Gray 39 Black 1 Bath Door Sqr Shower Flat Door NO Bedroom Slide (not as much Bedrm Storage?) 8 Cu Ft Frig

260RD has GVWR of 9,995 62 Gal Fresh 71 Gray 39 Black 1 Bath Door Square Shower No Bedroom Slide 12 Cu Ft Fridge

For a Couple Not Full Timing Why Would the 260RD be that Inferior and considering I have my Dodge 3500 Long Bed Single Rear Tire
    and shopping used should I just want the 3 Foot Longer, Heavier 295 or (Heavier Yet) 303

Thanks, Chuck S Auburn,WA

PS......Need to SEARCH for more older threads with Comparison Views of This Model vs that Model
    Last edited by CamarosRus; 06-05-2021 at 01:07 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, Thanks for your above reply...................

303RLS has GVWR of 11,995 80 Gal Fresh 87 Gray 47 Black 2 Bath Door Radius Shower Door Bedroom Slide 12 Cu Ft Frig
    295 RL has GVWR of 10,995 62 Gal Fresh 78 Gray 39 Black 1 Bath Door Sqr Shower Flat Door NO Bedroom Slide (not as much Bedrm Storage?) 8 Cu Ft Frig

260RD has GVWR of 9,995 62 Gal Fresh 71 Gray 39 Black 1 Bath Door Square Shower No Bedroom Slide 12 Cu Ft Fridge

For a Couple Not Full Timing Why Would the 260RD be that Inferior and considering I have my Dodge 3500 Long Bed Single Rear Tire
    and shopping used should I just want the 3 Foot Longer, Heavier 295 or (Heavier Yet) 303

Thanks, Chuck S Auburn,WA

PS......Need to SEARCH for more older threads with Comparison Views of This Model vs that Model
    Hello Chuck, first by no means would I consider any of your choices inferior. Like you my wife and I were conflicted between the 29 RS and the 303 RLS when we purchased. . I don't believe the 150 series were introduced yet. I wanted smaller easier to navigate trailer and my wife wanted the larger kitchen and pantry, hence the 303 won out. I don't believe you will have a weight problem with your Dodge 3500 with any of the trailers you are considering. Find a floor plan you and your wife like and go for it. My wife and i do take 1-2 month trips but we are no means full timers. Also forgot to mention we use the Andersen hitch and are very pleased with it. Having said that if I were buying a new hitch today I would give the Reese Gooseneck a serious look. We have friends that have one and it has some nice features.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, Reflection 29RS no longer mfg,,,but I'm looking for used anyway
    Did you have Pros/Cons on the 295RL vs your 303RLS with and w/o Bedroom Slide with and w/o 2 Bath Doors 12cf frig vs 8 cf

I am looking for a GOOD Used Hitch and guessing that a Used Reese Goosebox will be hard to find ???
    People seem to like to Anderson Ultimate Hitch....I need to watch YOUTUBE Videos to See how
    involved and Heavy/Light to remove....as I do use my truck for other stuff beside the 5ver............

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, Reflection 29RS no longer mfg,,,but I'm looking for used anyway
    Did you have Pros/Cons on the 295RL vs your 303RLS with and w/o Bedroom Slide with and w/o 2 Bath Doors 12cf frig vs 8 cf

I am looking for a GOOD Used Hitch and guessing that a Used Reese Goosebox will be hard to find ???
    People seem to like to Anderson Ultimate Hitch....I need to watch YOUTUBE Videos to See how
    involved and Heavy/Light to remove....as I do use my truck for other stuff beside the 5ver............
    So we ultimately decided against the 29 RS because the living / kitchen area is reversed from the 303 RLS. that's to say the dining room window overlooks your neighbors campsite and the kitchen is on your campsite side, small difference but it mattered to us. I think the bedroom slide out offers a little more room for hanging clothes and drawers but I have not personally toured the 295 RL. The two door bathroom is nice for maneuvering around your wife when both of you are getting ready at the same time but this is not a deal breaker one way or another. The 8 versus 12 CF refrigerator was important to my wife but I don't ever recall seeing our refrigerator completely full. Again, floor plans and features are personal choices so choose what works for you.

Now for the hitch, here i can speak with some degree of knowledge and preference. I chose the Andersen because of its light weight, at 38 lbs my wife can remove the hitch from the bed. I use a B&W turnover ball in the F250 bed so I have a clean bed when not towing our trailer. Another advantage of both the Andersen or the Gooseneck is both are quiet and smooth, no chucking. In the interest of full disclosure, I have never owned a traditional 5th wheel hitch so I can't speak to the chucking problem. In terms of fuel mileage, I don't really keep tabs on that. I know in the flatlands of Texas I get 11-12 MPG depending on the wind. Last year we were in the Ozarks and the mileage dropped to about 10. I think if you are going to tow an RV you can't be to concerned with fuel mileage. Just my opinion.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from North Carolina! You had a couple of questions in there.
    I can't speak for the 3500, but when I towed a 8500# trailer with my 2500 (diesel), I would get 15mpg. I get 19.5mpg unloaded. We moved up to a 12,000# 5er, and I usually get 12.5mpg. I can get 14.5 if I run 55mph, but that usually never happens. We did join TSD Logistics for fuel - it is usually a dime or quarter cheaper per gallon than the regular diesel pumps. On our last trip to Florida from NC and back, I saved enough to fill the tank up again. Plus it's easier to pull this thing into the truck lanes.
    Like you I didn't think I needed the outside kitchen, so I removed the outside stove and microwave and turned the space into storage. We use the outside fridge and sink quite a bit though.... It's nice to keep cold drinks outside so we don't have to go up the steps into the camper to get a cold one, and the sink is great for washing our hands after fishing
    Everyone has opinions on hitches. I'd like an Andersen myself, but it's more than I want to spend. I went with a Curt Q20. It's heavy, but I usually only have to take it in/our 3-4 times a year. It also has some rubber cushions inside to help with chucking and make a smoother ride for the RV. I leave it in most often, unless I'm picking up a sheet of drywall or plywood.
    I can't say what you need vs want. Ours is a pretty base model with single pane windows. They're not great in the winter, but usually if it's below freezing we're heading south anyway! We did get a dehumidifier, and run that when it's parked in storage (we can store it in our yard, and I installed a plug for it
    on the side of my shop).
    Generators are also another opinionated thing - if you want the absolute best and money is not an object, then Honda is king. If you're okay with something a dB or two louder than a Honda, Champion makes a nice one and a lot of people really like the Harbor Freight Predator one. We have a Champion 3100 ourselves. I installed an extended run-time kit on it, so we can run it for about 25 hours before I have to fill the tank back up. It's enough to run one AC unit, some lights, the TV, and maybe a small coffee pot. The microwave trips it unless we shut the AC off first. I added a cargo tray on the back of our Reflection 323BHS and the generator stays locked on that. I used to keep it in the back of the truck and get it out when we ran it, but I got tired of lifting it in and out when the RV was still hooked up - we typically run it in parking lots when we travel, so I don't unhook the RV and there's not much clearance between the RV and the bed of the truck.
    Lastly - we have a longer RV than you're looking at. I wish ours was a few feet shorter. We do have some problems at some state parks with the length over here on East Coast. Most are built for 32' trailers, and we like to stay at the state parks. And I think a few feet shorter would make it easier to swing into some spots. I honestly don't think you'd notice a difference between 28-30 feet.
    Anyway, hope that helps some. Lemme know if you want some more details.
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS