Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removing Tail Lights

Can someone explain to me how to remove the LED tail lights on my Reflection so I can check the wiring? I've had a couple of instances where I get a warning on my Driver Information Center advising me that the right tail light of the RV is no longer connected. There are no screws attaching the lens to a base housing and the lens is sealed to the wall of the RV with silicone, Proflex or similar sealant. Is it as simple as cutting through the sealant and pulling the lens out to expose the wires? Initially I thought it could be the 7 pin connection but wouldn't that effect both tail lights?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	34614

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So cut the seal of the sealant. There is an outer reflective ring that will pop off. It is the recessed part. The Light it self sticks out farther. This will expose the mounting screws. After that it's pretty straight forward.
    I have not taken mine off but I'm told just a boning tool will pry off the reflector.
    Hope this helps,
    Brian

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgway View Post
    So cut the seal of the sealant. There is an outer reflective ring that will pop off. It is the recessed part. The Light it self sticks out farther. This will expose the mounting screws. After that it's pretty straight forward.
    I have not taken mine off but I'm told just a boning tool will pry off the reflector.
    Hope this helps,
    Brian
    Thanks Brian. I'll try that.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWNY View Post
    Can someone explain to me how to remove the LED tail lights on my Reflection so I can check the wiring? I've had a couple of instances where I get a warning on my Driver Information Center advising me that the right tail light of the RV is no longer connected. There are no screws attaching the lens to a base housing and the lens is sealed to the wall of the RV with silicone, Proflex or similar sealant. Is it as simple as cutting through the sealant and pulling the lens out to expose the wires? Initially I thought it could be the 7 pin connection but wouldn't that effect both tail lights?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	34614
    Had the same problem with the left side recently. Water intrusion. Super easy to swap out, Grand Design actually overnighted me a new light. If you are out of warranty, you can find a direct replacement at trailerpart.com They are about $12. My right side already also has water in it, so it’s just a matter of time. Most any good quality surface mounted LED tail light would work. I’m going to change both of them when I get out of warranty and the next one fails.

There’s another thread on this, use the search function to see it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreDriver View Post
    Had the same problem with the left side recently. Water intrusion. Super easy to swap out, Grand Design actually overnighted me a new light. If you are out of warranty, you can find a direct replacement at trailerpart.com They are about $12. My right side already also has water in it, so it’s just a matter of time. Most any good quality surface mounted LED tail light would work. I’m going to change both of them when I get out of warranty and the next one fails.

There’s another thread on this, use the search function to see it.

Thanks for this. Grand Design sent you a replacement or the dealer where you purchased your RV from sent it?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWNY View Post
    Thanks for this. Grand Design sent you a replacement or the dealer where you purchased your RV from sent it?
    Grand Design customer service. Super easy.

I explained that I wasn’t comfortable traversing a major metropolitan city (Atlanta) with an inoperable taillight just to go to a dealer who could look at my rig in a month or so, and a mobile tech would charge two service calls, one to diagnose and one to repair once the part came in. I also explained that I was completely competent and comfortable doing the swap myself. I even offered to pay for the taillight, or return the defective one, with evidence that I put the new one on my trailer, not required in my case.

I got a new one via FedEx overnight, no charge. With the information in the package, I found an exact replacement via trailer parts dot com...

I still don’t think GD was/is obliged to send the part, but they did, and they made a grumpy customer happy, and didn’t flick the booger on an overwhelmed dealer. It’s not that it failed, it’s how they handle things that go wrong, that matter.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I explained that I wasn’t comfortable traversing a major metropolitan city (Atlanta) with an inoperable taillight just to go to a dealer who could look at my rig in a month or so, and a mobile tech would charge two service calls, one to diagnose and one to repair once the part came in. I also explained that I was completely competent and comfortable doing the swap myself. I even offered to pay for the taillight, or return the defective one, with evidence that I put the new one on my trailer, not required in my case.

I got a new one via FedEx overnight, no charge. With the information in the package, I found an exact replacement via trailer parts dot com...

I still don’t think GD was/is obliged to send the part, but they did, and they made a grumpy customer happy, and didn’t flick the booger on an overwhelmed dealer. It’s not that it failed, it’s how they handle things that go wrong, that matter.

I agree wholeheartedly. Grand Design RV's are no different than any other make but they do a much better job of taking care of their customers 95% of the time. I used to have a Forest River 5th Wheel. It was like pulling teeth to even talk to someone from their customer service department.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Sabre, what is the part number for those tail light? I need to replace one of mine.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papahoosh View Post
    Hey Sabre, what is the part number for those tail light? I need to replace one of mine.
    I found it at trailer parts dot com, I don’t have the part number handy, I’m out on the road right now. You can replace the pair with almost any flush mount lights. When you take off the old one, the wires come out of about a 3/4” hole in the fiberglass. There’s lots of better choices than the stock light for not much more money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papahoosh View Post
    I'm going to replace one of mine tomorrow with this.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...IEW0IlqyoiTDQC

I also got a new outer ring also just incase. I have water in 3 out of 6 LEDs. I'll let you know how it goes when I finish. I would do both but like was mentioned above there are some better options so I want to see what I have to work with behind the light before I order upgrades.
    2019 F250 FX4 gas with puck system
    2020 Reflection 29RS
    A German Shepherd and a Wife!
    Pullrite Superglide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast