User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this a ground?

Please reference the following image taken in the front storage compartment (where battery is located).
    Is the post on far right a ground?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	97A6899A-556E-4F19-BB36-BFAF3FBCD1FB.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	34617
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    2015 Ford F350 CCLB DRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorbackTraveler View Post
    Please reference the following image taken in the front storage compartment (where battery is located).

It appears to be isolated from the rest of the distribution bus. It MIGHT be, however, I would use a meter and check it to be absolutely sure.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2 black wires = +12 from switch and to fuse panel

Name:	4CBs - RazorbackTraveler.jpeg 
Views:	129 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	34627

like these labels

Name:	FC 6 CBs Auto Resetting 2020 Reflection 31MB - Howson's Labels.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	34628
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

NO! This is the primary positive buss bar for your trailer

Its the positive buss bar for your trailer 6AWg red wire on left is from battery (12V+). The second 6AWG red wire below (attached to other side of self resetting breaker) goes to the disconnect switch. The next two circuit breakers feed front jacks and constant on components like propane and smoke detectors. The last circuit breaker on the right is not tied to the positive brass buss bar but is fed by the disconnect switch and then to your distribution panel. Those are the two 6awg black wires at the bottom. The top wire goes to your slide controller. With the exception of the slide controller wire, none of theses feeds are on the disconnect switch so are always hot, unless you disconnect your battery.

Now in the bottom (side) of your picture (under the double white wires coming off the positive buss bar) you will see a yellow banded crimp terminal and star washer. That is a frame ground. That wire probably ties in to a large blue wire nut buried in the foam where GD brought 4 to 6 other wires to be grounded. If you ever drop your coroplast (belly fabric, you may find other grounding lugs on the frame. I have one where the distribution panel was grounded - both 12V and 120V.

If you having grounding issues check that wire nut. I found it loose during my Victron MultiPlus install - documented on GD's forum. To solve the issue I built a separate ground bar out of copper bar stock). undid the wire nut mess and tied each wire to it.

Hopefully this make sense to you.

On edit - Gene you beat me to it
    Last edited by powerscol; 06-03-2021 at 08:32 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @gbkims Thanks for the picture. I'm an idiot when it comes to electrical work. As I understand it, it is NOT a ground. It IS the downward leg of the battery cut off, so everything to the LEFT will receive power regardless of the state of the battery cutoff and anything connected to the other half will ONLY receive power when the battery cut off is closed(?). I did find a separate ground to chassis.

If my assumption is correct, I could connect the repeater positive wire to the downward leg of the battery cut off (black) and repeater negative wire to the ground (which I did find) and the repeater would ONLY be active when the battery cutoff is closed(?).

That gets me closer to what I am trying to achieve which is to try to eliminate parasitic draw while trailer is sitting/storage. I try to leave the battery cutoff closed(?) while prepping and during trips when it is either connected to shore power or the truck. Maybe that is sufficient. But if I forget to turn the battery cuttoff on, then the repeater wouldn't work during travel which kind of defeats the purpose of having a repeater.

I did find the junction box behind the pin box and I think I've identified the GREEN wire for running lights if I could tap into that, the repeater would be on during travel and off when disconnected from truck which would be the preferred scenario. I just hate tapping into lines like that.

Maybe I'll just add a switch and leave it be.

Thanks for letting me soundboard a little bit.
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    2015 Ford F350 CCLB DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, I wanted to ask. In preparation to wiring up the repeater, I disconnected the negative battery terminal on the trailer and turned the breaker for the shore power off. When I went to connect the repeater ground, I got sparks. At that point I disconnected the positive terminal on the battery (breaker for shore power was still turned off) and preceded with out any further incident.

But I'd like to try and understand why I got sparks. In theory, I should not have seen anything. What did I miss?
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    2015 Ford F350 CCLB DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @powerscol Everything you said makes sense. Thank you!
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    2015 Ford F350 CCLB DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BTW, I wanted to ask. In preparation to wiring up the repeater, I disconnected the negative battery terminal on the trailer and turned the breaker for the shore power off. When I went to connect the repeater ground, I got sparks. At that point I disconnected the positive terminal on the battery (breaker for shore power was still turned off) and preceded with out any further incident.

But I'd like to try and understand why I got sparks. In theory, I should not have seen anything. What did I miss?
    Do you have a solar package on your trailer? If so that where the power came from depending on how it was wired. On my unit the dealer tied the solar directly to the distribution panel, so it back feeds to the positive buss bar and then to the battery.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @powerscol I believe the trailer is wired for the standalone panels to be plugged in to the front of the trailer, but we do not have any solar panels installed nor do we use any.
    Although I would love to consider that some day.
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    2015 Ford F350 CCLB DRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @gbkims Thanks for the picture. I'm an idiot when it comes to electrical work. As I understand it, it is NOT a ground. It IS the downward leg of the battery cut off, so everything to the LEFT will receive power regardless of the state of the battery cutoff and anything connected to the other half will ONLY receive power when the battery cut off is closed(?). I did find a separate ground to chassis.

If my assumption is correct, I could connect the repeater positive wire to the downward leg of the battery cut off (black) and repeater negative wire to the ground (which I did find) and the repeater would ONLY be active when the battery cutoff is closed(?).

That gets me closer to what I am trying to achieve which is to try to eliminate parasitic draw while trailer is sitting/storage. I try to leave the battery cutoff closed(?) while prepping and during trips when it is either connected to shore power or the truck. Maybe that is sufficient. But if I forget to turn the battery cuttoff on, then the repeater wouldn't work during travel which kind of defeats the purpose of having a repeater.

I did find the junction box behind the pin box and I think I've identified the GREEN wire for running lights if I could tap into that, the repeater would be on during travel and off when disconnected from truck which would be the preferred scenario. I just hate tapping into lines like that.

Maybe I'll just add a switch and leave it be.

Thanks for letting me soundboard a little bit.
    I tapped into my marker lights green wire for my repeater. In my mind it's just a cleaner install. Only on when I'm towing since I always tow with my lights on.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast