User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

303RLS 2020 Toilet Seal Help

This weekend the toilet seal on our 303RLS 2020 (4/20 build) went bad on our toilet, it is no longer holding water in the bowl.

I had the make and model written down and I misplaced the information and the unit is at the storage lot.
    Can anyone help me out with the make and model?
    I'd like to get to my dealer to get the proper parts.

Thank you in advance,
    Rob
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want the best answer, you should just go ahead and replace the toilet with a Dometic 320. GD uses Thetford toilets and to replace that seal the toilet needs to come out and you need to disassemble the toilet. If you switch to a Dometic toilet, WHEN that seal fails again you can hold the flapper valve open, pull the seal out and install a new one, no toilet removal needed.

Most likely your toilet is the Thetford Aquamagic Style II.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoJoSo View Post
    This weekend the toilet seal on our 303RLS 2020 (4/20 build) went bad on our toilet, it is no longer holding water in the bowl.
    Rob, @FT4NOW gives good advice. You have to remove the Thetford toilet anyway... the Dometic is a much nicer appliance to put back in.

Of course it costs WAY more than a seal for the Thetford (about $225) but it's got a larger and more-comfortable wooden seat, a deeper bowl with room for parts that hang down, and a more-reliable valve so you won't likely be removing the toilet again.

BTW you MIGHT have set a record for short seal life on your Thetford; I haven't seen many reports of them failing after just two months. Pretty crappy.

Good luck with your choice.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Rob, @FT4NOW gives good advice. You have to remove the Thetford toilet anyway... the Dometic is a much nicer appliance to put back in.

Of course it costs WAY more than a seal for the Thetford (about $225) but it's got a larger and more-comfortable wooden seat, a deeper bowl with room for parts that hang down, and a more-reliable valve so you won't likely be removing the toilet again.

BTW you MIGHT have set a record for short seal life on your Thetford; I haven't seen many reports of them failing after just two months. Pretty crappy.

@boyscout . . . OMG, I nearly fell off my seat reading your post! LMAO.

@FT4NOW @boyscout - Thanks for the info. Maybe a better toilet is in order. I'll have to make a call to my dealer tomorrow and see what they may have.
    Yeah, I don't know why only in a short period of time my seal went bad, we just purchased the rig in October.

I'll look at the dometic units.

Thanks for all the info.
    Last edited by RoJoSo; 06-28-2020 at 08:27 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any chance someone used a bleach-containing cleaner on the toilet? If so, that'll kill the seal pretty fast.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @boyscout . . . OMG, I nearly fell off my seat reading your post! LMAO.

@FT4NOW @boyscout - Thanks for the info. Maybe a better toilet is in order. I'll have to make a call to my dealer tomorrow and see what they may have.
    Yeah, I don't know why only in a short period of time my seal went bad, we just purchased the rig in October.

I'll look at the dometic units.

Thanks for all the info.
    Although I'm not a big Camping World fan, they usually stock various Dometic toilets if your dealer doesnt have it. You really will like the 320 toilet, it's much better in so many ways.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Any chance someone used a bleach-containing cleaner on the toilet? If so, that'll kill the seal pretty fast.
    No "harsh" cleaner that I'm aware of. I would have to check with the DW, at the time just a reminder.
    We have been RVing for over 10 years.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Although I'm not a big Camping World fan, they usually stock various Dometic toilets if your dealer doesnt have it. You really will like the 320 toilet, it's much better in so many ways.

I was on Dometic's website. I have 5+ dealers in the area. There is always Amazon of course but rather support my dealer where I purchased the rig.
    If necessary, I'll buy the seal for now and then order the Dometic 320.
    We are going out again for the next 2 weekends.

So far its the 320 unless something better is out there.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on Dometic's website. I have 5+ dealers in the area. There is always Amazon of course but rather support my dealer where I purchased the rig. If necessary, I'll buy the seal for now and then order the Dometic 320. We are going out again for the next 2 weekends.

So far its the 320 unless something better is out there.
    Well, there are these ones:

https://moneyinc.com/the-five-most-e...-in-the-world/

https://www.us.kohler.com/us/numi-co...?skuId=1334087

I believe most of them require power so add extra batteries and a strong inverter to the bill. Send pictures (not while in use) when finalized.

BTW, seriously, two things to consider when talking to your dealer. The first I'm sure you know: dealers want to sell what they have in stock, and they're not always the best price around. The second is that the Dometic 320 installation instructions specify IIRC one inch more space behind the sewer pipe than the Thetford's instructions do. However if the dealer tells you it can't be done, push back or do it yourself.

I've seen just one report that the Dometic could not be installed in a Grand Design trailer and that was in the toy-hauler area of a Momentum. There are likely dozens of successful installs in Reflections and Solitudes reported here alone, most of them plug-and-play easy. Like mine; I've installed it in two GD trailers, my present one being the tightest, but I still have 1/8" or so between the toilet and the wall. A few 320s are touching the wall; owners report no trouble with that. One person reported that he unscrewed the sewer pipe from the floor and pulled it forward a bit before screwing it down again - no problem doing that but you won't likely have to; it's usually plug-and-play.

Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... and FYI its always a good idea to keep some water in the bowl while stored to keep the seal from drying out.

There is such a thing as a seal conditioner that a friend used when his got dried out. It worked and now he keeps water in the bowl when stored.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast