User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bug Screen for Water Heater Vent?

Has anyone found a bug screen that will fit the exhaust on their Dometic 6-gallon water heater? It measures 3 7/8"x 3 7/8".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WHVent.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	34428
    Torvald
    2021 GD Reflection 320MKS
    Home base in the Pacific Northwest

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camco makes one that fits but heres the P**ser. The screen attaches to the heater with small springs that attach to the grill on the heater, not the removable door. That means that in order to access the heater, you have to completely remove the bug screen.
    I'm looking for an aesthetically pleasing way to attach the screen to the removable access door. Suggestions, anyone.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    Camco makes one that fits but heres the P**ser. The screen attaches to the heater with small springs that attach to the grill on the heater, not the removable door. That means that in order to access the heater, you have to completely remove the bug screen.
    I'm looking for an aesthetically pleasing way to attach the screen to the removable access door. Suggestions, anyone.
    To, same crud I ran into. I now keep a couple of extra springs and the spring tool in the wet bay. As a technician turned engineer, I have to say the engineer that designed that water heater needs to have his knees broken with a baseball bat by a technician and a consumer...

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob - I just discovered this issue with the Camco screen. Since I usually drain the heater after each trip, I have removed the screen until I find another way to attach it. Maybe Gorilla glue it to the access door?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched a YouTube video the other day where where the person measured the airflow with and without the bug screen. They bug screen significantly reduced the air flow into the unit.

According to this individual bug screens are not recommended by the manufacturers.

I purchased some but now I'm having second thoughts about installing them.

Thoughts?

Tom & Linda
    2021 Solitude 378MBS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_378MBS View Post
    I watched a YouTube video the other day where where the person measured the airflow with and without the bug screen. They bug screen significantly reduced the air flow into the unit.

According to this individual bug screens are not recommended by the manufacturers.

I purchased some but now I'm having second thoughts about installing them.

Thoughts?
    The reason I put one in each of the vents is because of mud daubers, wasps, etc. They like to get up in there and make nests, which will catch fire when you use it next, unless you do a good job of checking and cleaning them out. I'll take the trade off.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the idea..
    Lay the screen on the door and mark dots with a sharpie that will be on each side of the screen's metal rim. May have to spread the screen a little to keep the dots on the door. Drill the dots and use a small zip tie to attach the screen to the access panel. You can probably use as many as you need, but I'm thinking one in each corner should work. You are looking for the smallest zip ties(6lb), I'll use black since the access cover is black. I'm open to other ideas.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas