Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good morning from Maine

Good morning everyone,

Just saying hello from Maine. We bought our first TT, a 2021 21BHE, in November. We spent the winter getting all the gear we needed and have had some great tips already this year. We love the trailer and it is perfect for our family and the camping we want to do. I found this forum while researching a new/better sway control hitch than the entry-level one I started with. Hopefully the Blue OX that's on the way solves my sway problem.

Cheers,
    Chris

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome and congrats

Sway problem with such a small trailer?

Sway is caused by improper balance and loading

You need to get the tongue as heavy as possible which will eliminate sway

Are you experiencing actual sway or suck/push from passing vehicles?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was actual sway as it came on anywhere above 50 MPH, with no passing vehicles. I was really surprised, and honestly disappointed. We don't put a ton of extra stuff in our TT, but maybe I need to find some stuff to just throw in the front for ballast. We were on I-95 in Maine and it came on as soon as I went over 50 MPH and came back every time I returned to that speed or beyond. I'm not trying to cruise at 80, but 60 would be nice without feeling that tail wag!

I admit I'm new to towing a TT, but there was less than 75 pounds of gear past the axles and I took the time to set up my hitch very carefully after doing lots of research. I didn't spend a ton of time dialing in the WDH with friction bar sway control hitch that I have. I decided that, for us, I would prefer to spend the money for a hitch that doesn't require adjustment (chains and friction bar sway control). Once I have the better hitch with less variables, I really don't expect a problem but will appreciate the peace of mind of the better equipment. I ordered the Blue OX TrackPro which will be here Tuesday. Just in time for our trip next weekend.

Anyways, thanks for your concern! Seems like a lot of people ready to help new owners here.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Welcome and congrats

Sway problem with such a small trailer?

Sway is caused by improper balance and loading

You need to get the tongue as heavy as possible which will eliminate sway

Are you experiencing actual sway or suck/push from passing vehicles?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even with a better hitch, you could still have sway if not loaded correctly. Ideally you want 10 -15% of the weight to be on the tongue. They do have tongue scales you can purchase or you can trial and error load it and use a truck scale to figure out the weight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from North Carolina!
    Good luck with the new hitch - we used to have a TT and when I towed with my F150 it had bad sway and I used a friction bar. When I bought the RAM 2500, the sway pretty much went away. I did notice that if I back-loaded the camper that it was worse, so we would store bins full of clothes and whatnot in the front and move them to the back where the storage was once we arrived at our destination.
    Either way - be safe, have fun, and make some great memories!
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS