User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrparne View Post
    Anytime I have no experience with taking care of a piece of machinery I always default to the manufacturer. They did actually design and build the thing. I trust their judgment ...
    This would normally be good advice. I'll bet if you ask any of us that were affected by greased brakes, we would completely disagree with you. In the earlier GD models LCI pumped grease into their new axles and used a grease that was on the runny side. As a result of this grease DID get past that inner seal and contaminated the brake pads. Once grease is on the pads, the brakes are toast, you cant just wipe the grease off. Half the wheels on my Momentum had contaminated brakes. LCI sent me 6 new brake assemblies and seals at no charge. There are numerous discussions on this forum about this very issue. The "internet mechanics" on this forum have decades of experience and seeing how the design of our suspension system is also decades old, I would definitely listen to what they have to say.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anytime I have no experience with taking care of a piece of machinery I always default to the manufacturer. They did actually design and build the thing. I trust their judgment over the thousands of internet mechanics out there. I’m not minimizing the years upon years of experience but they did design and build it. His thread is about modern trailers. And if your trailer has that feature why not use it? Did your trailer have that feature 50 years ago? Maybe it did maybe it didn’t, but like the telephone 50 years ago metals, alloys, grease, engineering, and designs have changed. So I pause before I hear anyone talk about their years of experience. I don’t discredit it, I simply go to the source of the product. The people who make it, and if you call and actually speak with their team you will learn about how there product can do this. And btw I have zero experience taking care of bearings in a trailer, so it’s my learning hobby which is a lot of fun. And learning how anyone makes a modern piece of engineering is very fun. So if I blow my seals, first call will be the dexter. Add it to the thousands of things I have learned with this hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Normally, sage advice - completely agree... However, being an engineer, I can also tell you there is REGULAR disconnect from the designers versus those writing the operations and maintenance manuals... When I studied undergrad, required engineering curriculum included technical writing just for the purpose of writing proper instructions. I haven't seen such in a required curriculum in decades. Moreover, if you know the evolution of Dexter and Lippert, you'd quickly come to understand they did not design, for the overall majority, the axle assemblies used on camper trailers. Lippert tried to value engineer proven designs, and that failed miserably, and both have taken a lot of cost out of them to detriment of the product. Primary case would be to compare the standard seal of 20 years ago to what you see as meeting manufacturing spec today... On one hand, I respect you wanting to learn via your own knocks. On the other, trying to stop a 5er running down a 6%+ decline with greased over shoes is folly when literally countless members of ALL camping trailer communities have reported the problem, manufacturers are aware of the problem, and there's standard of care and conscience... Unfortunately, in manufacturing, there is acceptable failure rate, and that is the real, modern world.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this really was as big of problem as you all say then why has it not been fixed? Can you all make name any component design that could cause a lose of braking in any component in moderna transportation for decades that would have not been address either through the company regulation or litigation. This is all I’m saying, do you all really know of now this a problem?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this really was as big of problem as you all say then why has it not been fixed? Can you all make name any component design that could cause a lose of braking in any component in moderna transportation for decades that would have not been address either through the company regulation or litigation. This is all I’m saying, do you all really know of now this a problem?

LCI has changed the type of grease and if i recall the method of installing the grease in new axles. My original point was that you shouldn't blindly trust a manufacturer just because they are the ones who designed and manufactured something. This cant really be a new concept to you if you have any experience with RVs. RVs are notorious for needing work done on brand new ones either by owner or a repair center. It is not even close to the same standard as the auto industry.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slightly off topic, what type of grease does Dexter use on their axles? It's got a red color to it.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I repacked my axles last week on my 2019 2800bh for the first time. I did grease my axles one time using the ez lube system midway through 2019. The camper was only used twice in 2020.

I was not ever worried about my hubs and bearings....until I saw them! Half of them showed evidence of excess heat and one of them had a slight groove in the race. Also, why in the world would GD use a bearing made in China on all 4 outer bearings but a Timkin bearing on all 4 inner bearings?

The good news is that the rear seal and brakes were all in great shape.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn’t the only way to get the centre cap off to grease is to remove the wheel anyway??

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Isn’t the only way to get the centre cap off to grease is to remove the wheel anyway??

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    The center cap of your rims has a small circle that pops of for accessing the grease zerk for the ez lube.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimitedmatt View Post
    The center cap of your rims has a small circle that pops of for accessing the grease zerk for the ez lube.
    Ahh yes. Looked one piece

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A different perspective, with all due respect to @geotex1 I have a degree in automotive technology, have been an ASE Certified Master Medium/Heavy Duty mechanic for decades, and have been working in fleet maintenance (Air Force, public transit, school district) for the past 45 years. There have been more times than I can count where I've been "What in the H-E-double hockey sticks was this engineer thinking!" He couldn't possibly think that was going to work... With countless Service Bulletins, Recalls, etc. across all types of equipment it's obvious the engineers aren't always right. I don't default to manufacturers instructions (although they are the starting point), I default to industry proven "Best Practices". In all my experiece, THE most important aspect of automotive care is Preventive Maintenance! The objective here is to make a best attempt to spot minor issues before they become major and costly repairs. Having said all that, wheel maintenance is one of those simple tasks that, if not done dilligently, will leave you on the side of the road. I can't stress this enough... disassemble, clean, inspect, replace as necessary, re-assemble. By the time you realize the seal failed, it's too late and hopefully it's not at the bottom of a long down grade. By the time a bearing fails and your wheel goes bye-bye, it's too late. Costly and potentially dangerous. JMHO

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast