User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 2500RL Refrigerator Door Issues

Hello All,

We purchased our first ever travel trailer this spring: GD Imagine 2500RL. We love it and are getting used to its "care & feeding". Our refrigerator door will not easily open - haven't figured out the trick, perhaps - while the freezer door smoothly works. We have noticed on several other forums that this rather common, and that many door handles have now broken. We are looking for advice. Do we contact GD now to "register" this problem? Thanks Jame & Bren in AL

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your issue all the time or when you have the fridge door loaded up?

They make a spacer kit for the door if it binds when loaded.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is all the time. I just called GD and "registered" the problem. They are aware and sending new door handles to people - but only when the handle actually breaks, which appears to be inevitable. It looks and feels as if the handle/opening mechanism is faulty and works (properly) sporadically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this info. Our daughter just bought a 2022 Reflection 278bh, and my sister bought a 2022 Imagine XLS mle22. Both of their fridges have the door handle issue. Hopefully they can get new handles.
    Happy Kansans .... DeWayne & Benita
    and one crazy little ShihPoo puppy named Olive Ann
    2015 Reflection 337
    2017 Ford F350 Super Duty SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The latch broke on my fridge on our third trip. At least GD promptly sent a replacement and it came with 2 handles. I also glued and reinforced the broken one as a spare as this sounds like it could be an ongoing issue. Maybe Dometic will come up with a fix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would hope that perhaps GD would send out handles proactively to those who are having continual issues opening the fridge door before the handles actually break while they're on a long camping trip. Both of these fridges I refer to in the 278bh and 22mle work splendidly, it's just a door handle issue. Did you install the new handles yourself, and was it a simple process?
    Happy Kansans .... DeWayne & Benita
    and one crazy little ShihPoo puppy named Olive Ann
    2015 Reflection 337
    2017 Ford F350 Super Duty SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced it myself. It wasn’t too difficult.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add me to the list of broken handles. Ours just broke on our 4th outing. I did reach GD and they are sending new ones. Like others, I think it was our 2nd trip out that we noticed the refrigerator handle was now harder to open than before. The freezer one still works just fine. Never had a problem in five years on our other trailer with a similar Dometic fridge.
    2020 F250 XLT Premium Iconic Silver 4x4 7.3 3.55 Payload-3268 lbs.
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    Previous - 2015 Keystone Passport Elite 23RB
    Previous - 2015 Nissan Titan Pro 4x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JNeidert View Post
    It is all the time. I just called GD and "registered" the problem. They are aware and sending new door handles to people - but only when the handle actually breaks, which appears to be inevitable. It looks and feels as if the handle/opening mechanism is faulty and works (properly) sporadically.
    Thanks, All. I've contacted GD again. My handle hasn't broken yet, but headed that way. I can see the problem: if i use a small screwdriver, I can reach the clip and get the door open. The nice lady at GD said to simply "send me a picture" of the handle. After she repeated that twice, I finally got it! I will send a picture and hope to receive a new handle.
    The handle doesn't engage the clip enough to always open it.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same problem. After much thought and inspection, my problem at least stems from the door sagging so that the latch cannot be moved by the handle. Plus you’d be amazed at how flimsy the door is made. All the force you put on the handle is resisted by a plastic piece just 5/8” long and less than 1/16” thick! No wonder they break. I fixed mine by installing a nylon spaced on the latch side of the handle that maintains about 1/4” space between the hand and the door frame when the door is closed. The space is made from a 6-32 nylon screw, a thin washer and a nut. Drilled and tapped a hole on the jam side of the handle and screwed in the spacer. File a chamfer on the leading edge of the spacer so it will slide in more easily.