User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cross County Drive

Hi Everyone,

I am planning on driving from Orlando to San Diego this summer pulling my 2019 351m. I am planning on taking the 98 North at Mobile, AL up to I20 to avoid the bad stretch of I10 that I keep hearing about. Does everyone agree that I10 is that bad and should be avoided? Also, any tips for a long haul like this? I plan on driving 10-11 hours a day for 4 days to get there, and will be sleeping in truck stops or Walmart parking lots so that I can run my generator at night to keep it cool. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dond4321 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I am planning on driving from Orlando to San Diego this summer pulling my 2019 351m. I am planning on taking the 98 North at Mobile, AL up to I20 to avoid the bad stretch of I10 that I keep hearing about. Does everyone agree that I10 is that bad and should be avoided? Also, any tips for a long haul like this? I plan on driving 10-11 hours a day for 4 days to get there, and will be sleeping in truck stops or Walmart parking lots so that I can run my generator at night to keep it cool. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.
    Couple of thoughts; I drove from Oregon to NY, and have been towing for a few years:

• Check your wheel bearings well before your trip!
    • Check your brakes, ensure the pads are in good shape
    • Consider your daily driving time
      • I generally limited my driving to 6 to 8 hours max. 8 hours was a LONG day when towing like this

• Check out the Walmart stores in advance, many do not allow overnight RV parking any longer
      • Cracker barrel may also allow RV parking

• Can't comment on your route

Enjoy the journey and have some fun on the way.
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you bfs673, I just had my axels repacked and brakes inspected on the trailer. Also had the oil changed and fuel filter on my TV. Also Have new tires being installed on trailer tomorrow, so from a preventative maintenance standpoint I think I’m good.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Everyone,

I am not aware of your age, physical condition or ability to drive long distances.
    10-11 hours of driving with a big trailer for 4 days would kill me or at least hurt really bad.
    Best of Luck and stay safe:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just drove I-10 from Columbus,Tx to Destin and back last month. It has its moments, but I’ve been on worse. Around the Tx border to Beaumont is pretty choppy , but 20 around Shreveport is pretty bad too. They both have issues , so I would pick the shorter route.
    Safe travels , Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, any tips for a long haul like this? I plan on driving 10-11 hours a day for 4 days to get there, and will be sleeping in truck stops or Walmart parking lots so that I can run my generator at night to keep it cool. Any advice would be great.
    I've done 17 hour driving days a few times (Central Oregon to Palm Springs and back). 10-11 driving days is very manageable but certainly not fun. I do 5-6 hours now just because I'm finally starting to learn not to be in a hurry. It's much more relaxing now. My only advice would be to skip the Walmart and truck stops. With long driving days you'll need some rest. I don't think I'd get any sleep at a Walmart (sketchy characters) or a truck stop (noise). An RV park will have power so you don't have to mess with a generator.
    Last edited by bertschb; 06-03-2021 at 07:05 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Everyone,

I-10 through Mississippi is not that bad. A lot of people avoid I-10 through New Orleans and take I-12 North of Slidell, La. to Baton Rouge. Lots of truck traffic and you have to pick up I-10 West at Baton Rouge. Baton Rouge to Lafayette can be hectic but once you get past I-10 West is not that bad until Lake Charles...kidney's will get a workout after the high bridge in Lake Charles then its OK until the Texas line. I-20 from Jackson to Shreveport can be rough also. I'd bite the bullet and stay on I-10/I-12 which is the most direct route heading West.
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
    I just drove I-10 from Columbus,Tx to Destin and back last month. It has its moments, but I’ve been on worse. Around the Tx border to Beaumont is pretty choppy , but 20 around Shreveport is pretty bad too. They both have issues , so I would pick the shorter route.
    Safe travels , Charlie
    I think they've been working on the highways around Beaumont since oil was discovered in the early 1900's!!
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eight years ago I could have done 10 hours, and did. And the 2nd day I tried to run over a steel pipe guard that protects those gas pumps. We were 240 miles from our destination. We were able to continue on the spare tire, and bent spindle. I had to buy 2 spares while there, get the spring hanger replaced and the Spindle straightened as best they could (Also new wheel bearings) in SC before the return trip. In the end the insurance bill to the repair shop was >$5000.00. As Brian says, I take it easy now - slower, (5-6 hours) and much more cautiously!! Also on that return trip we stayed in a Walmart parking lot. There was one other RV there and two over the road haulers. About half the night there were kids buzzing us successfully being a pain in the A%$.
    Last edited by SGT ROC; 06-03-2021 at 07:35 PM.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we had our Momentum we would stay at truck stops for a quick overnight stop. At least running your generator wont bother anyone since the trucks are usually running. No one will bother you unless you put your slides out. Make sure to put your stairs away too, the truck parking spots are pretty tight.

We did a Walmart stop once and we woke up to 2 cars drag racing up and down the parking lot right next to us. [emoji2959]

You can keep your generator running while you're driving so the rig will be cooled off when you're ready to stop. We never had any issues running the generator while driving. Make sure to have extra oil, the Onan's have a designed oil consumption.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast