User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection 5th wheel generator storage

We have a Westinghouse Igen4500, can I put that in the front storage compartment for travel? I see a lot of wires and things in that front compartment, what exactly is that meant for?
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Champion 3500W. Since we are not FT, ours lives in our garage and we put it in the pickup bed when we need to take it with us
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    We have a Westinghouse Igen4500, can I put that in the front storage compartment for travel? I see a lot of wires and things in that front compartment, what exactly is that meant for?
    We are looking at doing that with our Champion 3400 Watt Dual Fuel Inverter Generator. The problem is the metal bottom will need to be reinforced. Also the genny is almost 100 lbs, so I plan on welding two 2" angle iron across the bottom, then bolt two 5"x2" box aluminum tubes to that,binside the compartment. Then bolting a custom sliding shelf to the aluminum boxes so I can get the generator in and out of the compartment.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that really doesn't help me.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that really doesn't help me.
    Sorry. Yes, you will need to make sure the series are out of the way. The front compartment is the generator compartment. However, you will need to reinforce the floor of the compartment to hold that much weight.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Sorry. Yes, you will need to make sure the series are out of the way. The front compartment is the generator compartment. However, you will need to reinforce the floor of the compartment to hold that much weight.

Sorry, you response was great. I meant to quote the guy who responded first. I will look into your solution as I really want to put the generator in that spot as I don't want to have to drag it in and out of the truck bed but maybe that's the solution for now.
    Ed & Kaitlin

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, you response was great. I meant to quote the guy who responded first. I will look into your solution as I really want to put the generator in that spot as I don't want to have to drag it in and out of the truck bed but maybe that's the solution for now.
    You will have to pipe the exhaust out and away from the coach if you will be running it in the compartment.

I'll post the links to the company in buying the steel and aluminum from, and the company that custom makes the sliding shelf.

EDIT:
    Here are the links:
    Hot Roll Steel Angle
    6063 T52 Aluminum Rectangular Tube
    AM2 SLIDE

For the angle steel, I am buying 2 - 2"x2"x3/16" at 6' lengths.
    For the Aluminum Rectangular Tube, I'm buying 2 - 5"x2"x0.125" at 2' lengths.

The angled steel will be welded to the frame (side to side and about 16" apart), underneath the compartment, shoring it up to carry the weight of the generator. The rectangle tubes are being bolted to the angle iron, from inside the compartment, to create a platform that will just clear the bottom of the compartment door. The sliding shelf gets bolted to the rectangle tube. With this configuration, and with my measurements, the generator will clear the top lip of the compartment by approximately 1/2", and the sliding shelf will clear the bottom lip by approximately 1/4".
    Last edited by MoonShadow_1911; 06-04-2021 at 08:00 AM.