User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long is "Too Long"

Trying to buy my first rig and could use some help. I'm looking at purchasing a very slightly used Solitude 310GK that has been stored outside (on pavement) and not used in almost two years. Everything on it looks great, but the Owner won't move it (or let me move it) to a place where I can have it fully inspected. There is no water or sewer at the storage yard, so I would have to buy it without testing those systems. The unit was winterized when it was put in storage, but has had nothing done to it since. I see a lot of warnings about buying a rig that has been unused for a long period of time, but how long is "too long". Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2017 Ford F-350 Lariat SRW CC Short Bed, Power Stroke 6.7L
    Pullrite Superglide 16k

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gpo1958 View Post
    Trying to buy my first rig and could use some help. I'm looking at purchasing a very slightly used Solitude 310GK that has been stored outside (on pavement) and not used in almost two years. Everything on it looks great, but the Owner won't move it (or let me move it) to a place where I can have it fully inspected. There is no water or sewer at the storage yard, so I would have to buy it without testing those systems. The unit was winterized when it was put in storage, but has had nothing done to it since. I see a lot of warnings about buying a rig that has been unused for a long period of time, but how long is "too long". Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Bring an inspector there

You can test plumbing with an air compressor. Don’t necessarily need water and as far as the sewage side of it well not much can go wrong and would be very inexpensive to fix

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a hard one, because somebody will buy it on his terms in this market. Can you check the electrical systems? Fixing water issues is typically less expensive than AC's or fridges. I realize he doesn't want to take the chance of tearing it up on his dime and really don't blame him, but you show everything works to get top dollar (but maybe not in this sellers market). If it were me I would allow $2000 in my mind or in my offer for the RV. That's my 2 cents...YMMV.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I would pass on this one. Sounds like the owner has something he does not want disclosed.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also anticipate some new tires. Sitting for 2 years most likely caused some flat spots. If he will let you test everything but water and sewer I would be ok with it. Maybe bring some RV antifreeze bottles with a cut off hose to run through the plumbing systems. When I sold my Momentum it was December in Idaho, so definitely winterized. I brought the trailer to a parking lot with antifreeze bottles and showed the buyer all the plumbing worked by running more antique through it. I couldn't show the water heater working since it was bypassed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 06-04-2021 at 08:50 AM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    I think I would pass on this one. Sounds like the owner has something he does not want disclosed.
    I disagree with this
    He likely just doesn’t have any interest in dragging the trailer around and waste his time
    I sold mine this past fall and didn’t test the systems with the buyers
    It was winterized and wasn’t going to change that

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    I'm not sure there is anything to hide. The trailer sale is the result of a divorce and the person that got the trailer did not get the truck, so they have no way to move it. I am also guessing that the unit currently may not be insured. I think that the seller believes they will sell it without jumping through the inspection hoop that I'm requesting.
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    Pullrite Superglide 16k

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I would also anticipate some new tires. Sitting for 2 years most likely caused some flat spots. If he will let you test everything but water and sewer I would be ok with it. Maybe bring some RV antifreeze bottles with a cut off hose to run through the plumbing systems. When I sold my Momentum it was December in Idaho, so definitely winterized. I brought the trailer to a parking lot with antifreeze bottles and showed the buyer all the plumbing worked by running more antique through it. I couldn't show the water heater working since it was bypassed.

My inspector requested that the fresh tank be half full to do his work. I'm thnking about "hand filling" with five gallon water jugs. Can this be done on a 310GK and would this address the issue? I know it would screw up the anti-freeze that's in there, but it's June and it's been in there for two years already. Won't it have lost most of it's effectiveness by now?
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    Pullrite Superglide 16k

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gpo1958 View Post
    My inspector requested that the fresh tank be half full to do his work. I'm thnking about "hand filling" with five gallon water jugs. Can this be done on a 310GK and would this address the issue? I know it would screw up the anti-freeze that's in there, but it's June and it's been in there for two years already. Won't it have lost most of it's effectiveness by now?
    You could use the onboard water pump and set the Nautilus panel to sanitize mode and stick a cut off hose in the bucket, that would work. The FW tank on a 310 is close to 80 gallons, that will be a bunch of 5 gallon buckets. I guess you'd have to ask the seller if you can de-winterize it since that's what you will essentially be doing. I'm thinking he will say no. I wouldn't let that prevent me from purchasing, the water systems on these things are very easy to work on if there is a problem.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hearing the divorce issue I would be more worried about the title.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast