User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    I was lucky on my 320G that I ordered in early February with a generator, mine was delivered with the generator in May. I didn't think I would get it, as it was going to hit the production line after they ran out of existing stock. The dealer I used, promised that if I didn't get it, they would install it afterwards when they were back in stock for free.

While I was initially trailer shopping, I was seeing a lot of NPS generators installed. They have a Yamaha engine in them. I don't know much about them, but as far as the engine, Yamaha is pretty darn good.
    Thanks, Wileykid. We placed our order in late April, expecting an early July delivery (fingers crossed). Hopefully my dealer will make the same offer, especially after I pay for it. I am not familiar with the NPS brand, but I do know that Yamaha makes a very good generator.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    We R B.O.B. (Boomers on Bikes)
    2020 Momentum 349M
    2019 Ford F450 6.7L PowerStroke

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by We R BOB View Post
    Thanks, Wileykid. We placed our order in late April, expecting an early July delivery (fingers crossed). Hopefully my dealer will make the same offer, especially after I pay for it. I am not familiar with the NPS brand, but I do know that Yamaha makes a very good generator.
    From what I understand, the NPS is a forest river exclusive right now. From the comments I have read, people that have them are not that pleased.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Yamaha makes the Onan engines also.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Onan makes great generators. In the sailing community they are a top choice along with Northern Lights and Westerbeake. No one uses a Yamaha except as an outboard.

We have a Westinghouse 4500df inverter generator identical to the Cummins/ Onan one. It’s a beast and has a remote start and goes for $1200.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would get the Onan. (convenient). Keep the Honda. My Onan had a fuel problem while boondocking (I now use STABIL and have extra fuel filters) and my Honda kept my propane and my electric heaters on. Need to have redundancy IMO.
    Matt
    2021 Momentum 376THS FW
    2020 Ram 3500 HO Cummins DRW LB
    B&W Companion 25K Splendide Washer and Dryer Separate DV6400X

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Westerbeke has a Yamaha egine

Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Onan makes great generators. In the sailing community they are a top choice along with Northern Lights and Westerbeake. No one uses a Yamaha except as an outboard.

We have a Westinghouse 4500df inverter generator identical to the Cummins/ Onan one. It’s a beast and has a remote start and goes for $1200.
    FWIW, my Westerbeke 3.0 BPMG - 60 Hz, in our boat has a 2 cylinder Yamaha engine. So boaters even those with 8 Cylinder inboards do use Yamaha engines for other purpose than an outboard
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to consider (I don’t know the answer) is if the Onan generator is fuel injected? The onan wasn’t available when we picked up our 390 so I got two of the Westinghouse igen 4500’s and parallel them together for 50a service. They work very well. The issue I ran into in Sedona boondocking was the altitude created issues with the gens running and it would trip the gens. Fuel injected like a Honda would solve that issue. Outside of that they have worked well. They are a pita to get in and out/setup/taken down. But I’ve got $2000 total in them which I remind myself of each time I’m complaining about the hassle. Under full load with 3 a/c’s running I can get about 18 hours before they run out of fuel.
    So to sum. If you are camping at altitude factor in the need for fuel injection. The other is convenience. Walking to the switch panel and flipping a switch is about as efficient as it gets. 😂
    Nothing in life is free.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same dilemma with my 300GK. I overthink everything so hang in there for my lengthy post.

The pros of onboard generator: If it's installed by a factory or dealer, there's not much thinking to do. Just flip the switch and the power is on.

The cons of onboard generator: As someone said, the Onan is good for about 40 amps (single phase) which is about 5000 watts. (Two AC's but not much else. It is heavy and very far forward so the pin weight goes way up or you can't use the huge pass through storage for much.

My solution: I got a bigger Honda inverter generator and permanently mounted it on the the back of the 5th wheel. That gives me 30 amps (split phase) which is well over 7000 watts. (2 AC's coffee maker and elect water heater are no problem). I wired up the remote start and put in a transfer switch, so I don't have to go outside.

I realize this solution is not for everyone. The mounting of such a heavy item and the wiring could be intimidating for some, but if you are handy or know people that can do this kind of work, I think it is worth the effort. I am very happy with this setup.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    I had the same dilemma with my 300GK. I overthink everything so hang in there for my lengthy post.

The pros of onboard generator: If it's installed by a factory or dealer, there's not much thinking to do. Just flip the switch and the power is on.

The cons of onboard generator: As someone said, the Onan is good for about 40 amps (single phase) which is about 5000 watts. (Two AC's but not much else. It is heavy and very far forward so the pin weight goes way up or you can't use the huge pass through storage for much.

My solution: I got a bigger Honda inverter generator and permanently mounted it on the the back of the 5th wheel. That gives me 30 amps (split phase) which is well over 7000 watts. (2 AC's coffee maker and elect water heater are no problem). I wired up the remote start and put in a transfer switch, so I don't have to go outside.

I realize this solution is not for everyone. The mounting of such a heavy item and the wiring could be intimidating for some, but if you are handy or know people that can do this kind of work, I think it is worth the effort. I am very happy with this setup.
    That’s an awesome solution. I’d love to see pics of your setup and wiring if you don’t mind? Honda is where I’m headed in time no doubt. Hopefully by then I will have a known permanent solution to the mounting.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVingwithJessandChris View Post
    That’s an awesome solution. I’d love to see pics of your setup and wiring if you don’t mind? Honda is where I’m headed in time no doubt. Hopefully by then I will have a known permanent solution to the mounting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200325_181808.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	34916

Name:	IMG_20200510_155208.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	34917

Name:	IMG_20200510_155119.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	34918

The first pic is the remote start switch. I moved some light switches anyway, so I found the OEM supplier to get the matching Grand Design switches. These are located on a lower kitchen cabinet right in front of the entry door. Gen controls are the group on the right... On/Off, Gen power on light, momentary start switch.

The other pics are self explanatory. The small bundle of wire is the remote start harness. I added relays to duplicate the switches because I didn't like the way Honda set up the remote start circuit. I also added a second shore power inlet wired to the transfer switch. I is just another place I can plug in if the shore power source is far away or at the back.

Generator is an EU7000IS.... a real beast.
    Roger, Stacy and the Sophie the fur kid

2017 Solitude 300GK
    2015 Chev 2500 Diesel (replaced)
    2020 F350 DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVingwithJessandChris View Post
    One thing to consider (I don’t know the answer) is if the Onan generator is fuel injected? The onan wasn’t available when we picked up our 390 so I got two of the Westinghouse igen 4500’s and parallel them together for 50a service. They work very well. The issue I ran into in Sedona boondocking was the altitude created issues with the gens running and it would trip the gens. Fuel injected like a Honda would solve that issue. Outside of that they have worked well. They are a pita to get in and out/setup/taken down. But I’ve got $2000 total in them which I remind myself of each time I’m complaining about the hassle. Under full load with 3 a/c’s running I can get about 18 hours before they run out of fuel.
    So to sum. If you are camping at altitude factor in the need for fuel injection. The other is convenience. Walking to the switch panel and flipping a switch is about as efficient as it gets. ��
    Nothing in life is free.
    One of the reasons I went with Honda for my portable genny is the ability to swap out for a high-altitude jet in the carb. About a 20-minute project for my EU2000i. We camp at 6,000-10,000 for most the summer and I can hear other gennys surging because of the change.

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast