User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you deal with the added weight? (I am assuming it’s not on the rear bumper) . Was something welded to support it? How much does the H7000 plus gas and support weigh?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have qualified. I wasn’t talking about powerboats but sailboats. Most are diesel generators.

What % of Westerbekes are Yamaha engines.’

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    How did you deal with the added weight? (I am assuming it’s not on the rear bumper) . Was something welded to support it? How much does the H7000 plus gas and support weigh?
    The rear bumper was removed at the frame rails. I welded steel tube (1-1/2 × 3 sounds familiar) to the bottom of the frame rails. The aluminum platform is bolted to the steel tube.

If I remember right, the generator and platform weigh about 400 lb. My thinking was this: When I weighed the rig when I first bought it, the pin was about 20% of trailer weight. I added a washer/dryer (300 lb pretty much directly over the pin). I figured if I put the generator in the front, I wouldn't be able to put much of anything in the pass through storage. The way it worked out, the 400 lb located 10 ft behind the axles balanced out nicely. I can load the storage the way I want. The rig is currently right at the max (15k lb) and the pin is about 25%.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    From what I understand, the NPS is a forest river exclusive right now. From the comments I have read, people that have them are not that pleased.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Yamaha makes the Onan engines also.
    Thanks, JKeller. I was not aware.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    We R B.O.B. (Boomers on Bikes)
    2020 Momentum 349M
    2019 Ford F450 6.7L PowerStroke

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Onan makes great generators. In the sailing community they are a top choice along with Northern Lights and Westerbeake. No one uses a Yamaha except as an outboard.

We have a Westinghouse 4500df inverter generator identical to the Cummins/ Onan one. It’s a beast and has a remote start and goes for $1200.
    Thanks, RV Sailor
    Carl & Jacqueline
    2020 Momentum 349M

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattShan View Post
    I would get the Onan. (convenient). Keep the Honda. My Onan had a fuel problem while boondocking (I now use STABIL and have extra fuel filters) and my Honda kept my propane and my electric heaters on. Need to have redundancy IMO.
    Excellent point, MattShan. Thinking about keeping the Honda for that exact reason.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    2020 Momentum 349M

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVingwithJessandChris View Post
    One thing to consider (I don’t know the answer) is if the Onan generator is fuel injected? The onan wasn’t available when we picked up our 390 so I got two of the Westinghouse igen 4500’s and parallel them together for 50a service. They work very well. The issue I ran into in Sedona boondocking was the altitude created issues with the gens running and it would trip the gens. Fuel injected like a Honda would solve that issue. Outside of that they have worked well. They are a pita to get in and out/setup/taken down. But I’ve got $2000 total in them which I remind myself of each time I’m complaining about the hassle. Under full load with 3 a/c’s running I can get about 18 hours before they run out of fuel.
    So to sum. If you are camping at altitude factor in the need for fuel injection. The other is convenience. Walking to the switch panel and flipping a switch is about as efficient as it gets. 😂
    Nothing in life is free.
    Thanks, RVingwithJessandChris. Valid point on fuel injected vs carbed. The no-hassle, convenience factor of having the pre-installed ONAN is what sold us.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    2020 Momentum 349M

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    I had the same dilemma with my 300GK. I overthink everything so hang in there for my lengthy post.

The pros of onboard generator: If it's installed by a factory or dealer, there's not much thinking to do. Just flip the switch and the power is on.

The cons of onboard generator: As someone said, the Onan is good for about 40 amps (single phase) which is about 5000 watts. (Two AC's but not much else. It is heavy and very far forward so the pin weight goes way up or you can't use the huge pass through storage for much.

My solution: I got a bigger Honda inverter generator and permanently mounted it on the the back of the 5th wheel. That gives me 30 amps (split phase) which is well over 7000 watts. (2 AC's coffee maker and elect water heater are no problem). I wired up the remote start and put in a transfer switch, so I don't have to go outside.

I realize this solution is not for everyone. The mounting of such a heavy item and the wiring could be intimidating for some, but if you are handy or know people that can do this kind of work, I think it is worth the effort. I am very happy with this setup.
    Thanks, Roll with the Changes. I am somewhat concerned about the weight of the generator adding to the pin weight. I think I will have that extra weight offset by the two motorcycles we'll be carrying.

I also like the convenience that having the ONAN installed, without any additional mods.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    2020 Momentum 349M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator Better Than ONAN?

We have a 320G with the Onan. I too had a portable 3100w generator I carried with my travel trailer. Something to consider. When we stop for the night to boondock it’s nice to throw the switch and be done. No cords to need with. Also keep in mind that factory install includes tour transfer switch an internal wiring. Real PIA to do aftermarket wiring. Also you’re getting a dual purpose fuel tank on the toy haulers. When I hit the truck stops to fuel the truck I can top off the gas tank on the trailer after boondocked a couple days. I think of the cost similar to my diesel upgrade on my truck, I’ll get that back someday At Lear that’s what I tell myself to feel better.

As far as only being 5500w with three AC units, I called GD customer service r and they told me the units roll 2 at time if the power draw tops out. Not tried it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the onan which is the run on propane option. Really like it.
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast