User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Onan and Cummings power generation are under the same parent company, Onan is gas or propane and Cummings is diesel. If you buy portables make sure they can do altitude, most can't. My onboard Onan in my 21G is altitude rated and you have to dial the carb to match the altitude you are at. I like this and the brand as Cummings is top in the industry in power generation. No matter what brand you choose, you will lose usable wattage as you go up in altitude. Experience as an electrician and boondock camping in the Colorado mountains.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LanerC View Post
    I have the onan which is the run on propane option. Really like it.
    Thanks, LanerC. Did you have it converted to propane? If so, how much did it cost?
    Carl & Jacqueline
    We R B.O.B. (Boomers on Bikes)
    2020 Momentum 349M
    2019 Ford F450 6.7L PowerStroke

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    We have a 320G with the Onan. I too had a portable 3100w generator I carried with my travel trailer. Something to consider. When we stop for the night to boondock it’s nice to throw the switch and be done. No cords to need with. Also keep in mind that factory install includes tour transfer switch an internal wiring. Real PIA to do aftermarket wiring. Also you’re getting a dual purpose fuel tank on the toy haulers. When I hit the truck stops to fuel the truck I can top off the gas tank on the trailer after boondocked a couple days. I think of the cost similar to my diesel upgrade on my truck, I’ll get that back someday At Lear that’s what I tell myself to feel better.

As far as only being 5500w with three AC units, I called GD customer service r and they told me the units roll 2 at time if the power draw tops out. Not tried it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, MooManChu. Great points to remember.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    2020 Momentum 349M

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by We R BOB View Post
    Thanks, LanerC. Did you have it converted to propane? If so, how much did it cost?
    Before covid you could order it that way from Grand design. But ive heard that was the first option to to be not available. However I believe a gasoline powered cummins/onan generator can be converted to propane, at least at a cummims/onan service center or probably a knowledgeable small engine mechanic.
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LanerC View Post
    Before covid you could order it that way from Grand design. But ive heard that was the first option to to be not available. However I believe a gasoline powered cummins/onan generator can be converted to propane, at least at a cummims/onan service center or probably a knowledgeable small engine mechanic.
    I like the propane conversion idea. However, 2 questions come to mind..1) How do you feed propane to the generator and, 2) What do you do with the extra 30 gals in the fuel station?
    Carl & Jacqueline
    2020 Momentum 349M

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by We R BOB View Post
    I like the propane conversion idea. However, 2 questions come to mind..1) How do you feed propane to the generator and, 2) What do you do with the extra 30 gals in the fuel station?
    The generator is plumbed in to the line that feeds the rest of the 5th wheel so you will go through more propane when you are using the generator. We carry an extra 3oLB tank either strapped in the pickup bed or in the basement of the 5th wheel.
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234