User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Here is what I said. It is based on what is read here. I also said I never owned a Ford, so again based on what was said here and I provided my GM experience. Bottom line is that most so far that have spoken here have said theirs run hotter than the 6 speeds. Seems like you have had a different experience with your truck, which is fine. We would like to hear more about your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The GM 10 speed in the HD trucks is not a joint venture with Ford. It is an Allison which is a GM exclusive.
    I do not believe that has anything to do with it running cooler though. That is a result of GMs focus on improving the cooling. Gale Banks actually has a video on all of the cooling upgrades that GM did. Very informative.

As you may know, I am in Phoenix, where high heat is a fact of life. My Momentum is 21K, and I load the bed up, so I am heavy.
    My tranny runs cooler than any truck I have owned previously... That is consistant with what TFL reported in their tests. I have not read ANY reports of the GM 10 speeds running hot.
    Last edited by huntindog; 06-07-2021 at 12:29 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya'll need to view this video and then continue the "hot" discussion. This is for Ford ONLY. Maybe someone did a good analysis on the GM and RAMs in another video. Of course, all this pertains to the 6 speed. But given that Ford is Ford I'll bet the same high temps are on purpose for the 10 speed.

I think somewhere in this video it also talks about how Ford likes to run the fluids hot. Something about at that point they get rid of any water or condensation or whatever which keeps the fluid in better shape for a long time.

I've had my transmission temps up to about 230 or a bit higher. Lately I've been in the SW and it is hot here (over 100 degrees recently). Temps are running up to about 216 for coolant and the trans is a bit higher. I've got the ForScan app running on a spare iPhone and in addition to the dash gauges I can watch the fluid temps with the app. I use to be concerned with the higher temps for both the engine and tranny but have gotten use to them.

Up to a point (it varies depending on hill angle, outside temps, wind, etc.) slowing down helps keep temps in check. I gave up on that too. I keep the RPMs up over 2000 and sometimes up to 2500 and go up the hills and the truck manages the temps very well.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that may help but have no idea if it will work. I have Tundra with 6 speed transmission and to prevent the transmission from shifting all the time I lock out 6th towing camper and sometimes in mountains lock out 5th & 6th. By doing this the transmission is not continually shifting.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SummitJim View Post
    So we have a new 2020 F250 with 6.7 L diesel and 10 speed transmission. Next month we will be towing our 320MKS (about 13,000 lb loaded) to Phoenix from Northern California. So far the engine and transmission oil temps range up to about 190 degree but we will be climbing the Grapevine and then running I-10 in Arizona where the outside temps may hit or exceed 100 degrees. I don't plan to run the engine up to its maximum ability anyway but I'm wondering 1) should I just let the truck do what it wants in tow/haul mode, or manually gear down a bit more on that big hill. And 2) how hot can the transmission get before Ishould be concerned? Should I expect issues, or just a happy truck?
    Thanks.
    I've got a 2018 320MKS and have towed it back and forth across the country several times with my 2018 F-250 diesel. AZ, NM, TX, UT, CA, OR, WA, ID, SD, CO etc. The truck doesn't even breath hard.
    David & Kathy Dillow
    2018 Reflection 320MKS
    2018 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 LB Diesel

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possibly not an important post, however I find these posts interesting as the forums that address my TV is full of concerns about the opposite problems. The Aisin transmission in the Titan XD has two coolers, one integral to the radiator and an external cooler. Unlike its close cousin in the RAM HD truck series it does not have a thermostat and suffers from being too cold unless under load. Even under load it is cold blooded and runs at 180 max in my situation. Of course the forums that address this are just as full of opinions as all forums, but most agree that it definitely does not need additional cooling!
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So nobody has brought up the fluid that Ford uses and what it's limits are. I would begin there...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what its worth, we tow with Ram Eco-Diesel, our transmission tow temps are 190 and normal driving is 180. Our engine oil temps are much much hotter I have seen oil temps up to 265 pulling the grapevine from SoCal in 100 deg heat. The ED uses a special synthetic oil and the oil will boil at 285. At 265 oil temp i have seen engine coolant temps at 235. At those high temps the Turbo EGT's are close to or at 1500 deg. As a safety feature in the ECU when the EGT's reach 1500 the ECU starts to pull out fuel to allow the turbo and all temps to cool back down into normal mode. As an FYI, all trucks these days with a factory tune will monitor EGT's, once a high set point is reached they will pull out fuel to cool themselves down.

In regards to pulling the grapevine, its very interesting in deed, whether you are traveling North or South, the worst grades are at the begining and thankfully they are the shortest sections, the middle is very gradual up and down. When climbing those step grades i tow in manual mode and find it more beneficial as automatic mode tends to be too slow to downshift, loosing momentum, but once i'm out of the beginning step grades i'm back to auto w/tow haul.

I use a Banks Super Gauge to display allow all temps at the same time including EGT's, Cat and regen mode.
    2021 GD 150 Series Reflection 260RD, Lifted 3" with solar. Lippert Turning Point Pin Box. 300watt Inverter. TV = 2021 4wd Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab I6 Cummins Diesel, 6'4" bed, Curt A16 puck system, Custom Bed Tank.

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On any and all trucks, keeping the coolers and radiators clear of debris is big. Mud, leaves, grass, paper etc will keep the temps up and possibly higher than OEM sets controllers. Last trip out west we got stuck behind a truck hauling hay and the front end of our truck was full of hay, straw and other debris. Temps were a bit higher than normal. After the turck cooled down (overnight) I pulled the grill and cleaned up the radiator and tranny cooler. 45 minutes later, grill back on and back on the road. Temps back to normal.

Air flow through coolers and radiators is your friend. Keep the front end clean and let you buddy, air flow, do it's thing.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on what trim your F250 is, you may be able to display the actual digital temp above the gauge - you'll need Forescan ($10 license) and an OBD2 to USB adapter to link your computer up. Check out some Superduty forums.
    Mark and Judy
    USN/USAF family (parents and kids)
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123