User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running temporarily without battery box?

tldr: Can I run a pair of 6v golf cart batteries without a battery box strapped right to the rails?

Long version: My existing 12v deep cycle interstate battery has been failing so I decided it was time to replace them. After much debate, I decided on a pair of 6v golf cart batteries and a Torxlift PowerArmor box.

The only problem is the PowerArmor box won't be here in time for my next trip. So my question is, could I just wire up my two 6v batteries, strap them right to the rails on the tongue of the trailer and call it "good enough for a short trip", hope they don't get stolen, (Planning a 5-day boondock) then install the box when I get home. There is no chance of inclement weather for this trip.

What do you think folks? Safe?

Thanks!

--

2020 RAM 2500 Diesel
    2018 Grand Design 2800bh

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandRunner View Post
    tldr: Can I run a pair of 6v golf cart batteries without a battery box strapped right to the rails?

Long version: My existing 12v deep cycle interstate battery has been failing so I decided it was time to replace them. After much debate, I decided on a pair of 6v golf cart batteries and a Torxlift PowerArmor box.

The only problem is the PowerArmor box won't be here in time for my next trip. So my question is, could I just wire up my two 6v batteries, strap them right to the rails on the tongue of the trailer and call it "good enough for a short trip", hope they don't get stolen, (Planning a 5-day boondock) then install the box when I get home. There is no chance of inclement weather for this trip.

What do you think folks? Safe?

Thanks!

--

2020 RAM 2500 Diesel
    2018 Grand Design 2800bh
    I do not see why not. None of my trucks have ever had a battery box to protect the dual batteries. Yes they are under the hood, but they get all kinds of heating and cooling abuse and get wet. You should be good, just as long as they are very secure and there is no chance of an electrical short. The RV battery boxes are for protection from the weather and road debris, which would be my only concern. Mine are behind the Propane tanks and its cover so I would not worry about mine being in the open out of a battery box if needed. YMMV, and others may disagree.
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration