Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brakes won’t lock at full gain

Hi. Brought the new 303 home and loaded up for the first trip. Found a side road to set the gain. At 25 mph it slows the same on every number from 6-10. I stop using the trailer brakes, but I can’t get the brakes to lock up. I know I’m within weight. I read on another thread that the trailer brakes might need adjusting, but is that a consideration on a new unit? Thanks!

2013 Ford F-250 Diesel
    303RLS
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Hi. Brought the new 303 home and loaded up for the first trip. Found a side road to set the gain. At 25 mph it slows the same on every number from 6-10. I stop using the trailer brakes, but I can’t get the brakes to lock up. I know I’m within weight. I read on another thread that the trailer brakes might need adjusting, but is that a consideration on a new unit? Thanks!

2013 Ford F-250 Diesel
    303RLS
    Yes, any type of drum brake (even some disc brakes) will need adjustment, even brand new.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2013 Ford F-250 Diesel
    303RLS
    A couple of mine were out a lot
    My understanding is they are self adjusting but I believe that only happens in reverse and how often does that happen

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can depend on what type of surface you're on, too. On good, dry pavement, I wouldn't worry if the trailer brakes wouldn't lock up. On dirt or gravel, they should at the highest gain. While you look at adjustment, check to see if there's any grease inside the drums or back side of the brake plate (from the inside seal).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I’ve dug pretty deep on the web. Some say to give it 400 miles or so to break in the brakes. I’m going to take my next trip in a week. The last one was a few hundred miles and all highway. Probably 5-6 stop lights and no traffic to and from the campground. I also need to double check that the truck is set to electric brakes and not EOH. If I don’t feel comfortable with them after that trip I’ll contact the rv dealer. Thanks again!
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I’ve dug pretty deep on the web. Some say to give it 400 miles or so to break in the brakes. I’m going to take my next trip in a week. The last one was a few hundred miles and all highway. Probably 5-6 stop lights and no traffic to and from the campground. I also need to double check that the truck is set to electric brakes and not EOH. If I don’t feel comfortable with them after that trip I’ll contact the rv dealer. Thanks again!
    I found out last year that both Lippert and dexter have break-in, / seasoning new brakes.
    Quite a bit of running and applying brakes to heat to 400 deg, then cool and do it again.
    Look on web for breaking in new brakes
    My dealer had no clue.
    Good luck
    Paul
    2016 Ram 3500 SWD 3:73 Turbo Diesel 6'4"" box
    OEM puck Pro 16K
    2021 Reflection 311BHS
    Previous:
    2017 Reflection 29RS
    Reese Sidewinder Hitch
    Platte Lake MN.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2013 Ford F-250 Diesel
    303RLS
    I’ve never been able to lock the brakes (electric) on any heavy trailer I’ve owned. They will stop damn quick though!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, they need seasoning, but you can bet they took their beating in transit from the factory. Based on your post, I'm wondering if maybe you misunderstand that you need to manually actuate the brake control, especially if built-in or inertia based controller. So truck to speed, off the gas, no foot on brake pedal and then squeeze the manual control evenly.
    Last edited by geotex1; 06-04-2021 at 09:36 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had mixed experience on this.

With a 2005 Durango and a new 2009 Heartland 31RED, the brakes locked up no problem. Later, in 2015, I replaced the TV with the 2000 Ford F-250. I could not get the trailer brakes to lock at highest voltage on new Teksonsha P3. I asked everyone I could ask. They checked voltages; brakes were checked and adjusted for routine maintenance. They still worked; I felt comfortable stopping, so I didn’t obsess over it. I sometimes wondered if heavier F-250 was a factor. But it still nagged at me that the P3 manual says to adjust voltage until just short of lock, and that would never work. The trailer could be very “grabby” on the Durango, but never on the F-250.

This year, I’m pulling away with new-to-us Imagine 2600RB and test the brakes with the controller lever. Instant lock, on dirt/gravel, but it also will lock on pavement. I asked yet another mobile RV tech about it, and he didn’t think trailer brakes could lock; they had some sort of rolling forward adjustment. I showed him the manual, and he’d never heard of that.

One additional complication is that the 2600RB was on a different, used, P3 that was used for only a few trips with the 31RED. It started acting wonky, changing colors, not turning on, etc. during daily driving (not towing), so I replaced it with a gifted used P3.

So, while I’m not helping to answer the question, I hope maybe sharing my experience might be an opportunity to learn something.
    Douglas & Christine
    2019 Ford F-250 XLT 6.2L V8 Fx4 Crew Cab short-bed
    2021 Imagine 2600RB, Build 5/2020
    Equal-i-zer 4-Point Sway Control™, 10000/1000 bars; Ford brake controller; LevelMatePRO+®
    Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure LT275/70R18 (E)
    Westlake Super ST Load Range E 10 p.r.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My F-150 will never lock the brakes. Neither on my old Jayco 5th, nor on my 2670MK. Many 1,000's of miles on each. But, I could definitely feel the tug of the trailer brakes slowing the combination first at higher settings.
    I've seen sources that claim the Ford integrated controller is coupled to a lot of the other truck information to give max braking, but to prevent lockup as a safety feature. Can't cite an official source that this is true, however. As others report, my Ford and RV dealers have no idea....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast