Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Tank Valve Stuck Closed

We got our new Imagine trailer late last fall and were able to take it out one time before we winterized it. Fast forward to Memorial Day weekend when we got to take our second trip. Everything was going well until it was time to drain the black tank. I went out and the handle didn't budge. I couldn't twist the rod either so I was pretty sure the problem was in the end part of the cable. I had some tools of course but not what I really needed. I called the dealer and talked to the service manager. He said they've had a lot more of these issues lately (although it's very hit and miss) so perhaps GD is using a different manufacturer or maybe the manufacturer is using different metals or something. Either way, his only other suggestion for me was if I could get to the valve itself, maybe I could get to the cable with needle nose pliers or something like that and pull it open on that end. So I dropped the underbelly and of course there's not a lot of room in there to do much. Definitely not enough to get pliers in there. On the end of the valve where the cable goes in, I saw a little silver screw on the top. There wasn't enough room to get a stubby screwdriver in there so I used a quarter inch ratchet, socket, and phillips bit. Once I got it loose I was able to unscrew it with just the socket and bit. After I got that screw out I was able to pull that end out and drain the tank. After it drained I closed the valve and left it like that so I could drain it again before we broke camp. Before we left I put it all back together. When we got home I took some vice grips and tried to wiggle it loose. Unfortunately it snapped the handle off just before I was going to put some heat to it. Oh well, it's still under warranty and I'd already made an appt to take it in for them to look at it, in case I couldn't get it freed up. Of course we have another trip coming up, before we take it in, but at least I know what I need to do now. Maybe this will help someone if you run into the same issue. I guess it's a good lesson too about keeping those valve handles lubricated too. This one is on the back end behind the tires so it probably gets a lot more stuff thrown on it by the tires. Our second grey tank valve is back there too but it was fine. Luck of the draw I suppose.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My second grey tank is the one I am having issues with
    Trailer is brand new and unused still
    And yes it is because of road debris from tires

My front grey is fine

I have the black working fine now but with constant lubing and pulling in and out the grey still isn’t working the best and the lube coming back out is dark and rusty
    I may not be able to salvage it

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    My second grey tank is the one I am having issues with
    Trailer is brand new and unused still
    And yes it is because of road debris from tires

My front grey is fine

I have the black working fine now but with constant lubing and pulling in and out the grey still isn’t working the best and the lube coming back out is dark and rusty
    I may not be able to salvage it

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Have you tried putting some heat to it? That was going to be my next step.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theingramfamily View Post
    Have you tried putting some heat to it? That was going to be my next step.

It is moving so heat isn’t needed
    For a solid month nothing but rusty wd40 comes out
    And it just doesn’t open smoothly

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    It is moving so heat isn’t needed
    For a solid month nothing but rusty wd40 comes out
    And it just doesn’t open smoothly

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    You could move on to lithium grease. It may not help free if up any more but it's probably good to get some grease on there.