User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing 2600RB with F150

Hi all, just some info regarding the above captioned topic. We have a 2020 2600RB (UVW 6002 lbs) and a 2019 F150 (Lariat, 5.0, 3.73, tow pack). Both of us had retired about a month before Covid started shutting things down so, gratefully, we are now up and running with our vacation/holiday plans. Both trailer and truck were upgrades from smaller units (2019 Tacoma, 2019 17MKE). We kept the same RV PRo WDH (10,000 lb) and our first few trips were just ‘ok’ and we had some terrible sway in crosswinds and those bow waves from loaded semis. This year we changed the hitch to a used Equalizer 4 and took our first trip this week and the difference was very favourable. We had some stiff cross winds and had no issues with sway, I’m not sure how strong the winds were but they were certainly blowing the tree branches around nicely. Those passing semi’s were barely noticeable too. I was a nice drive and even my wife was comfortable behind the wheel!! So we know that proper set up is important for rigs like ours so here is what our rig is set to, yours is probably different but perhaps this can be a starting point for those just getting started.
    Hitch - Equalizer 4 - 12,000. Set with 7 spacers for head angle for a 10 degree head angle as measured by my electronic angle finder.
    Tongue weight - was 680 lbs empty but just measured it after getting home from our trip and it is 950 lbs with empty tanks except a gallon or 2 in the black tank (I have a Sureline tongue scale)
    I didn’t hit the weigh scales today but did so previously and was well within limits. Our F150 has a payload of 1720 lbs so we have about 770 lbs for additional payload for my wife and dog, and maybe a canoe and golf clubs.

Anyway, we are delighted with the set up now and hope it is helpful to others.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 48C329BC-CEE3-49BE-A068-F3E4FDE26750.jpg  
    Deb and Rick
    Calgary, Canada
    2020 2600RB
    2019 F150 Lariat 5.0, 373

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing the info. Amazing the difference the hitch and setup makes
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH