User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Observation monitors

Hi Im kinda new to the Rv world. Ive had TT’s before, but .. can anybody tell me if there is a observation / backup system ( other than a high dollar furrion) that does not have a lag at highway speeds? I have a 31’ fiberglass motorhome. Thx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Observation monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Okie60 View Post
    Hi Im kinda new to the Rv world. Ive had TT’s before, but .. can anybody tell me if there is a observation / backup system ( other than a high dollar furrion) that does not have a lag at highway speeds? I have a 31’ fiberglass motorhome. Thx
    I bought 5 cheap units on Amazon and sent them all back before relegating myself to dropping the money into the Furrion. Is it perfect? No. There are other units out there that work while in motion however when I was shopping (two years ago) the price difference to Furrion was negligible and my trailer was already set up with the Furrion camera housing. Had another Furrion on my last trailer for 4 years, zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MooManChu; 06-05-2021 at 11:14 AM.
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over the years I have been thru 3 different Furrion backup camera systems on 3 different trailers ranging from a 40' 5th wheel to a 27' TT, I had weak signal on all 3 of them. The only thing in common was my truck (2015 Ram crew cab) so I take the monitor off of my windshield and stuck it out the window above the truck and I instantly got full signal strength. So the issue isn't the cameras per-se but the receiver in the monitor. Unfortunately, on the newest system (Vison S) the antenna on the monitor does not screw on but is permanently fixed to the monitor and I see no easy way to open it up without damaging it. So I opted to put a better antenna on the rear observation camera to see if that would help with the signal strength issues. The one I chose is supposed t have a 9 dBi gain which should equate to increased signal strength...After installing it, and doing the same tests prior to changing the antenna, I consistently received between 1 and 2 additional bars (4 or 5 up from 2 or 3). I have yet to test it out on the roads but suspect it will give me the same increase in signal strength. Although not a 100% cure, it did improve the signal significantly. Not a bad investment given a 2-pack of the antennas only cost $10 shipped.

A couple of gotcha's I learned in the process. First, the base on the new antenna has a larger diameter than the original antenna so it would not just screw on. I had to grind a flat on each side so that it would fit into the camera mount (look close to 4th pic). Not a big deal and only took a minute to do. Second was the antenna is about 14.5" long and is prone to getting blown backwards since it now sticks up above the roof of the trailer. So I fabricated a bracket that hold the antenna in place and takes any strain off of the camera.

Here is a link to the antenna I purchased:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NV807XS...roduct_details

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5377.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	35093 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5401.jpg 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	35094 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5400.jpg 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	35095 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5402.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	35096
    Last edited by Heavysledz; 06-22-2021 at 11:33 PM.
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased the GM OEM trailer camera and it has ZERO lag!!!! Mainly because it is a wired solution but the quality is great and it integrates into the OEM infotainment system. Might be worth looking into :-)
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgunter5 View Post
    We purchased the GM OEM trailer camera and it has ZERO lag!!!! Mainly because it is a wired solution but the quality is great and it integrates into the OEM infotainment system. Might be worth looking into :-)
    Sounds like an awesome option if you have a newer truck with this capability. How much does the trailer camera cost from GM if you don't mind me asking?
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    USMC Veteran

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavysledz View Post
    Sounds like an awesome option if you have a newer truck with this capability. How much does the trailer camera cost from GM if you don't mind me asking?
    MSRP is $475 but I found it online for $350 from a gm parts dealer.
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too put a longer antenna on the camera. And I mount the monitor upside down so I can orient the camera antenna vertically. I rubber band the monitor to my rear view mirror and the antenna wouldn't stick up without hitting the headliner.

I still get an intermittent signal when traveling but I get a solid picture when stopped, backing, etc.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgunter5 View Post
    MSRP is $475 but I found it online for $350 from a gm parts dealer.
    that's much cheaper than I thought it would be honestly.
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    USMC Veteran

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I too put a longer antenna on the camera. And I mount the monitor upside down so I can orient the camera antenna vertically. I rubber band the monitor to my rear view mirror and the antenna wouldn't stick up without hitting the headliner.

I still get an intermittent signal when traveling but I get a solid picture when stopped, backing, etc.
    yea, it seems our trucks have some pretty good RF shielding properties....too bad the antennas are not detachable like on the camera itself. If it was, then we could run a remote antenna in the back window or even outside the vehicle if we wanted too...
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    USMC Veteran