User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doing My Research for a Spring 2022 Buy

Would love to hear people's stories about truck buying. The Good, the Bad, the Ugly.
    I could have done things better the first time around (sold my rig and trailer due to an overseas military move), and we are absolutely going bigger and better next time around.

Looking to get into a Solitude for some full timing before I retire from the military (we are only doing 1-2 year assignments).
    My wife is not a huge fan of driving, so I want her to feel like she's in her living room as we drive down the road.

Our starting points:
    - Looking at a Ram 3500 Limited DRW. I'm generally a "buy and hold" vehicle owner. When I buy this, I'm planning to be together till death do us part.
    - GD Solitude is most likely what we'll get (had an Imagine, loved it....ready to up our game with grandkids coming). I'd buy GD sight unseen after a our last great experience. Looking for pros/cons of other brands - GD was pretty awesome.
    - I can pay cash right now, but I want the best deal. Looking for some wisdom about haggling over $1-2K on a +$80k rig.
    - Dealerships make me feel dirty. That said, I'm ready to drop a lot of cash. I don't want to walk out of there feeling taken advantage of.

Looking forward to hearing your stories!!!

Pat

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel ya, I hate dealing with dealers. Specially at the early stages of shopping when your just feeling things out and still unsure what you want exactly. I do most of my shopping online and configuration combinations. If your not loyal to a brand, I'd test drive all 3 and see which one makes you feel comfortable. Let's face it, there pretty much all similar capacity wise. Have you considered a f450 SRW or equivalent? Might be easier for DW to drive. Once I know which one I want I custom order it 9 out 10 times. I don't settle for one that has more or less then what I want, not even a different color. I'll deal the dealers in my surroundings and drive up to 6 hrs away for a good deal. I usually email the managers with what I want, no need for a sales person, test drive or walk around at delivery. I'll even put on my own plates. This is a chance for them to roll a vehicle. Here in Canada there's a program that some people I know used. CAR cost Canada. A little fee but no hassle and you get a good price. Now, with Covid, the inventories are low so that will play with the price.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I bought our first 5th wheel, I had to buy the truck at the same time. I told both dealers that I'm spending X amount in total. If the deal doesn't work out for one of them, then no truck and no RV. I was able to spend in total what I wanted. Don't know whether it helped, but don't think it can hurt to make sure they understand the full picture. I ordered the truck too, to get exactly what I wanted. Also agree to test drive all three OEMs if you have time, but make sure you drive a F450 for maneuverability. I didn't because they are only crew cab and at the time just wanted a super cab. Wish I had.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AirborneCHPat View Post
    Would love to hear people's stories about truck buying. The Good, the Bad, the Ugly.
    I could have done things better the first time around (sold my rig and trailer due to an overseas military move), and we are absolutely going bigger and better next time around.

Looking to get into a Solitude for some full timing before I retire from the military (we are only doing 1-2 year assignments).
    My wife is not a huge fan of driving, so I want her to feel like she's in her living room as we drive down the road.

Our starting points:
    - Looking at a Ram 3500 Limited DRW. I'm generally a "buy and hold" vehicle owner. When I buy this, I'm planning to be together till death do us part.
    - GD Solitude is most likely what we'll get (had an Imagine, loved it....ready to up our game with grandkids coming). I'd buy GD sight unseen after a our last great experience. Looking for pros/cons of other brands - GD was pretty awesome.
    - I can pay cash right now, but I want the best deal. Looking for some wisdom about haggling over $1-2K on a +$80k rig.
    - Dealerships make me feel dirty. That said, I'm ready to drop a lot of cash. I don't want to walk out of there feeling taken advantage of.

Looking forward to hearing your stories!!!

Pat
    I think you have a good plan, like others said, try them all.
    It is hard to have too much truck, easy to have too little truck.
    The Ford F450 deserves a hard look.
    Good Luck and Happy camping:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    When I bought our first 5th wheel, I had to buy the truck at the same time. I told both dealers that I'm spending X amount in total. If the deal doesn't work out for one of them, then no truck and no RV. I was able to spend in total what I wanted. Don't know whether it helped, but don't think it can hurt to make sure they understand the full picture. I ordered the truck too, to get exactly what I wanted. Also agree to test drive all three OEMs if you have time, but make sure you drive a F450 for maneuverability. I didn't because they are only crew cab and at the time just wanted a super cab. Wish I had.
    Thank you! Haven't considered the F450...though your recommendation is echoed by others. Absolutely will check it out...THANKS
    ACP