User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forward exterior DC wiring

I crawled under the front of our rig and observed the DC wiring in the attached photo. Not what I would have expected for wiring exposed to the elements. Am I really looking at an electrical taped mess of negative wires "bugged" together? Does anyone know what I'll find if I unwrap them?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forward DC.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	34728
    2021 Reflection 312BHTS
    2021 F350 Tremor

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not surprised. I would imagine you'll find a wire nut undersized for that amount of wires. I had a similar setup in my Momentum, 14 wires all wrapped together with a wire nut and tape....yikes. I undid it all and used a ground bus bar to properly connect all the wires.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup - our DC wiring is the same with all the grounds under a single marrette, wrapped in electrical tape. I had the pleasure of having to open that up when I kept getting 'trailer disconnected' messages in my TV.

Am I crazy here (and it's very possible &#129322 but shouldn't there be a cover over your wiring, or did you remove it before taking the picture?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
    I crawled under the front of our rig and observed the DC wiring in the attached photo. Not what I would have expected for wiring exposed to the elements. Am I really looking at an electrical taped mess of negative wires "bugged" together? Does anyone know what I'll find if I unwrap them?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forward DC.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	34728
    You will find a large blue wire nut holding all the wires with the pig tail going to ground (lower left) in photo. The solution is to ground each wire, or pair of wires to the frame using additional grounding screws and crimp ring terminals. Or install a grounding bar and tie them to it.
    https://www.standardelectricsupply.c...b56c74d05e806c
    https://www.lowes.com/pl/Grounding-b...cal/4294722483

I found this same mess on my 5th wheel during my solar install. Documented over at the other place.
    Last edited by powerscol; 06-06-2021 at 10:38 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not remove anything, that is as shipped from the factory. I will be improving it with proper terminals to a bar in the very near future.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    You will find a large blue wire nut holding all the wires with the pig tail going to ground (lower left) in photo. The solution is to ground each wire, or pair of wires to the frame using additional grounding screws and crimp ring terminals. Or install a grounding bar and tie them to it.
    https://www.standardelectricsupply.c...b56c74d05e806c
    https://www.lowes.com/pl/Grounding-b...cal/4294722483

I found this same mess on my 5th wheel during my solar install. Documented over at the other place.
    I used a self tapped screw holding a strap that the solar hookup wire runs through. I cleaned off the paint to give a good contact surface. It's about 5/32" diameter with a broad flange on the head. I used a pre-made 6 ga. jumper to connect an 8 place 3/16" post terminal strip and ran all the grounds to one side of it with ring lugs crimped on the wires. Limiting each post to two wires and using a common buss strip on the other side. I have two spare slots now. While I didn't notice any immediate difference I'm sure it is better and more secure than what was there. Working industrial electricity taught me the importance of good ground practices. What a smart engineer once showed me that is often overlooked was, due to current flow the ground wire needs carry the same current as the power wire so it needs to be sized accordingly.
    I did the same when I wired the fans and temperature switch for my refrigerator.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 06-06-2021 at 06:08 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anytime you can replace a wire nut with a crimp connector, you have made a step forward. They are good a stick house where there is no movement or vibration, but beyond that, it's a problem waiting to happen.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you run 2 wires to some of the grounding screws on your negative busbar? 14 - wires is a big number