User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel Trailer Tip: Importance of Setting the chocks

Recent weather event reinforced the safety importance of setting the chocks FIRST thing. We were at an RV park in Moab, UT. The level pad was too short for my 37' TT so I had to use blocks (2x10x10") to make up the difference on the downhill slope where the jacks were. I placed the chocks, but FAILED to load them...by loading I mean.... place the rear chocks first then backing up onto it and holding that position with the brake, then the front chocks are placed, brake released and the wheel loads the front chocks on rollback...success is when you cant kick the RUBBER chock out with foot. Weather was great, but this is the high desert. About 0100, we experienced what had to be initial gust to 70 and sustained 30-50 mph for a minute or so, and of course, BROADSIDE ON. Microburst from virga, not uncommon there, who would have known!! As soon as the initial gust overcame the sliding friction on the jack blocks, we were mobile and not in a good way...we slid about 2 ft downwind at the hitch, and then it stopped, wind still howling. In the AM, I discovered that the front chock on the right and rear chock on the left were very loaded suggesting the chocks and God's finger (i favor the latter) were probably responsible for arresting the slide and averting damage/disaster...another 2' of slide would have made hookup very interesting plus a costly power pole replacement. So, will I ever forget to set my chocks again? Of course I will!, I'll just try to make that occurrence increasingly rare . Setting chocks ( or wheel locks) not as much of a big deal with the 5th wheelers, but even for them it would add lateral stability, less motion when walking inside, ect
    Last edited by wallymann; 06-06-2021 at 07:28 PM.
    Wally & Jane Mann
    2016 313RLTS, Titan Disc brakes
    2016 Ram 3500 TD, 4x4 SRW, Crewcab, Longbed

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sure could have ended up much worse. Not sure why you would need rear chocks if you're on a downward slope site. Seems two front chocks would have been more appropriate.

The loading of chocks as you described probably only applies to TTs or 5th wheels without auto level. On my current and last 5th wheel, you can set the chocks, but after the auto level sequence is complete, the chocks most likely arent even touching the tire anymore, and you need to move the chocks. They are definitely loaded when you lift all your landing gear though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice argument for the x-chock here too, although not as a total replacement for the rubber blocks
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks FT4NOW!
    That's the thing I learned here, as the hitch moved left, one side moves fwd and the other back, so setting chocks fore and aft counters any lateral movement at the hitch. I'd say try it, but you are 5W. With no chocks, front jack down, foot shove the TT hitch to the side and see the movement. Repeat with set chocks and the difference is not small.
    Last edited by wallymann; 06-06-2021 at 09:05 PM.
    Wally & Jane Mann
    2016 313RLTS, Titan Disc brakes
    2016 Ram 3500 TD, 4x4 SRW, Crewcab, Longbed

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    Nice argument for the x-chock here too, although not as a total replacement for the rubber blocks
    The typical x chock is meant for stabilizing movement , they can and have sliped and are not for replacement of chocking the trailer. I believe the box states that . BAL does make one with a larger plate that says it is a true chock.

There was interesting conversation at the TN GD rally recently with JD from GD service , he mentioned that x chocks can be bad for the axles causing slight bends from the pressure they put on the wheels.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    The typical x chock is meant for stabilizing movement , they can and have sliped and are not for replacement of chocking the trailer. I believe the box states that . BAL does make one with a larger plate that says it is a true chock.

There was interesting conversation at the TN GD rally recently with JD from GD service , he mentioned that x chocks can be bad for the axles causing slight bends from the pressure they put on the wheels.
    That’s good info. TBH we bought them thinking we would love them and find we use the rubber blocks and leave the x chocks off most of the time. Hadn’t thought about the axles. One of those ‘well, we already have them, might as well use them’ things when there is bad weather now. But I’ll probably leave them a little less tight from here on
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that could of ended up real bad. We started using the one step from fast fastway and love them so far.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post

I bent my rear axle on my TT with x chock.

Oldcow

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
    2023 F450
    2021 397THR
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Thank you for posting that. I never heard about setting chocks. I’ve worried a few times if mine would hold if the trailer shifted. Learned something new and it could save a lot of grief over damage or injury. Thanks again!
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use X-chocks and key is having them tight enough but not over tight. I think that is why they come with short 6-8 inch wrench so that that you can't over tighten them. Heard of people blowing tires from over tightening them and just now in post above of bending axle. I always carry 4 rubber chocks in case we are at site with steep incline or one with large drop off in back. We've been in some very strong winds and know how wind will move camper around and some times wish we had went to bathhouse for shelter. After last storm we were in, we will always go to bathhouse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast