User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot water heater confusion

I am new to all this. I have a 2021 Momentum Toy Hauler. Question: When I hook up city water to the water supply, does the hot water heater automatically receive water? I can’t find a valve for on / off.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum! If you open up a hot water faucet inside the RV, water will fill the water heater.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And before you turn your water heater on make sure it’s full of water. You can damage it if you dry fire it.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Faucet turned on to hot will spit out water and air until the hot water heater is completely filled. Wait until you have a steady flow of water before closing and turning the heater on.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    Faucet turned on to hot will spit out water and air until the hot water heater is completely filled. Wait until you have a steady flow of water before closing and turning the heater on.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow thanks a ton. I’ve never used a forum!! Thanks

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all. This is my first trailer and I'm finding this to be super confusing. The manuals (GD and Airxcel) both say to check that the water heater is "filled with water," suggesting that there is a gauge somewhere to do that, but there isn't. And neither manual tells you the rest of the story here.

The logic I'm missing is that, if I turn on the hot water to fill the tank, I'm depleting the hot water tank. How does one "check" that it's "full"? Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JHinAZ View Post
    Hi all. This is my first trailer and I'm finding this to be super confusing. The manuals (GD and Airxcel) both say to check that the water heater is "filled with water," suggesting that there is a gauge somewhere to do that, but there isn't. And neither manual tells you the rest of the story here.

The logic I'm missing is that, if I turn on the hot water to fill the tank, I'm depleting the hot water tank. How does one "check" that it's "full"? Thanks in advance.

If you have a steady flow of water with no air the tank is full

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like your house the water heater will refill itself. The first fill will take a bit of sputtering once that stops keep running until the pressure is consistant, that is your best indicator. A quick burp at the relief valve will leave a slight airspace for expansion.
    Then turn on the water heater. As stated above running it dry will ruin the water heater.
    Also include the water heater (with it off) when sanitizing the lines.

Each time you drain it via the drain plug on the heater you will have to do the above. If you use the trailer often there is no need to drain it until you winterize.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post

Each time you drain it via the drain plug on the heater you will have to do the above. If you use the trailer often there is no need to drain it until you winterize.
    A related consideration - if you are regularly connected to a harder city water supply (more minerals), your water heater will scale up more rapidly. If you pull the anode rod to drain the water heater periodically (I do this once a year typically) you will be able to inspect the condition of the anode rod and possible replace it if needed, while you also have the chance to flush out some of the accumulated sediment. There are very inexpensive flush tool / sprayer rods available to assist with this task. These steps will greatly aid in preserving proper functioning and life of your water heater. This attached photo shows my 1 year old used anode versus a new one…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B79171BF-E609-4E58-9021-5DF6AE9BA1B5.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	708.4 KB 
ID:	35031
    Home is where you park it!
    2021 Solitude 380FL
    2014 Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW 6.6L Duramax Allison 6 Speed
    RVing since 1996; Full Time since 2018

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast