Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 2670 - water heater door seal.

Should this door have a tight seal at the top when closed? If so, is there a method to adjust the tension on the door? I have a gap of about 1/4". My concern is rainwater entering through this gap and collecting at the bottom of the hinge.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkfrank View Post
    Should this door have a tight seal at the top when closed? If so, is there a method to adjust the tension on the door? I have a gap of about 1/4". My concern is rainwater entering through this gap and collecting at the bottom of the hinge.
    Nope no seal. They are all like this. Rainwater will not damage it.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope no seal. They are all like this. Rainwater will not damage it.

The door itself no but we just had to replace the cabinet to the wall gasket because it was leaking. Part of our problem was that the original gasket was in my opinion "minimum"(thin and narrow). I replace it with 1" Butyl tape making sure that it sealed at the top edge of the frame and down the backside where it makes the 90 degree bend.

Look closely at the that bend from inside the WH cabinet and there are slits cut in it, probably for making the bend.

So in our case we found out there was a previous repair done along the bottom with another type sealant, but it too didn't do a complete job.

We pulled out the WH, cleaned and prepped for new butyl tape making sure it covered the 90 bend and screwed it tight to the wall. The butyl tape actually squeezed thru some of this slits.

Then ran a bead around the out side edge of the WH.

I also so put sealant on the inside of the WH at that 90 and those slits all the way around.

IMO water spraying or rain can get inside the cabinet and make its way to the bottom and leak towards the inside should the water puddle there.

Also seal the inside corners of that flange with sealant since there may be gaps. At the bottom especially at hinge post is a leak path, I put a big "gob" there.

We have been having showers daily and everything is staying dry so for.
    Dana & Janet H.
    New Orleans, La.
    Imagine 2450RL (MY2020)
    2018 GMC 1500 Sierra, SLT Z71 4X4

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same issue.

I pulled the 2 top corner screws from the frame of the heater and then drilled the door. I use the 2 screws to hold the door tight. I carry a battery powered drill with a square drive bit.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS