User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

auto level and Schwintek slide issues using battery power

Just purchased used 2020 240RL. Everything works with SP. But as soon as I unhook the truck, the auto level button ceases to work. I can level it with the manual buttons. And next the Schwintek slide will not cooperate. If I plug it in to SP I can get everything working again. I plan on adding solar and already switched to 2 6 volt battery's. From what I've read there must be full battery power to run these systems. If your camping off grid and want to leave in the morning before the battery can be charged what are people doing. Or do I have a separate problem?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like your battery is adequate. It may have gotten damaged from over discharged. You could leave the rig plugged in a running TV while you slide in or out, same with the leveling system but with a little more caution.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a really good idea to plug in to your truck and keep the engine running when you operate the leveling system or slides if you have any doubt about the strength of your trailer batteries. Operating the level up system at a low voltage/amperage can burn out the control board. I burnt mine out while the trailer was plugged in to 110 volts. I discovered that I had accidentally turned off the battery cutoff switch. My converter was not providing enough power to run the system properly and according to the repair tech that was the likely reason that the circuit board failed. I think that running the system on weak batteries could cause the same problem. Also pay heed to the low voltage warning on the Level Up display panel. Don't continue to try to use the level up system if you get that warning.
    Tom and Jan
    Surrey BC Canada
    2017 Solitude 310GK, new to us Nov. 2020
    2021 F350

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple way to tell. Once unhooked and not on shore power or still attached to truck, what voltage is shown on the leveling control? Both systems are designed not to work on too low of voltage to protect the electronics.

If you are dry camping and don't monitor your batteries, make sure you carry a long set of heavy gauge jumper cables. You can parallel in your tow vehicle battery to close up. You cannot get enough out of the charge line in the 7-way to do so when too depleted.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a better answer than mine. The jumpers are a good idea. The low voltage protection does not always save you though. Especially if you can't understand why you would have low voltage and try to make it work over and over. That's the stupid mistake I made, which cost me a circuit board.
    Tom and Jan
    Surrey BC Canada
    2021 F350

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Sounds like your battery is adequate. It may have gotten damaged from over discharged. You could leave the rig plugged in a running TV while you slide in or out, same with the leveling system but with a little more caution.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Tried it with the trucked hooked up and same problem with the leveling system, haven't tried it with the slide. The battery's are brand new and have never been discharged.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought my trailer (used) last Fall. It took me a while to figure out exactly where under the "Auto Level" label the actual button is. On mine it is not directly under the middle of the label. Maybe you are just not hitting the right spot some of the time. That wouldn't explain your slide problem though.
    Tom and Jan
    Surrey BC Canada
    2021 F350

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Simple way to tell. Once unhooked and not on shore power or still attached to truck, what voltage is shown on the leveling control? Both systems are designed not to work on too low of voltage to protect the electronics.

If you are dry camping and don't monitor your batteries, make sure you carry a long set of heavy gauge jumper cables. You can parallel in your tow vehicle battery to close up. You cannot get enough out of the charge line in the 7-way to do so when too depleted.

It showed 12.7 volts on the leveling monitor. The auto level button would not respond but was able to manually level it. No such luck with the slide. I guess I could get a bigger generator to mimic the jumper cables. Not being a fan of generators, I wonder if a lithium battery would solve the problem.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, wouldn't that be nice. Gonna take a closer look in the morning. But I do think something else is going on. Both controller's seem to be saying I don't have enough power, while at the battery and the controllers own meter show 12.7 volts

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just throwing this out, even though you have a new battery that is showing good voltage, it may not be providing the "umph", so to speak. I would load test it to make sure it is actually providing the power under load. That would eliminate any question on the batteries.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast