Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Rear tires worn down to steel cords

Have a 2019 Reflection 315RLTS, 7100 miles on trailer and tires, Westlake tires. The inside edge of both rear axle tires have excessive wear with the rt rear down to the steel cords and the left one will be there soon. Loaded trailer weight is 10300 lbs, tongue weight is 1055. Trailer level is 7/8 low in the front measuring from the frame bottom to ground. Measured axle crown, both axle crowns are within 0.050, rear tires are tipped inward with the rt being worse then the left. rear tires measure toed out almost 0.250 with more toe out on the rt rear. Front tires are starting to cup on the inside edge. Have contacted Grand Design and explained the problem, they suggested taking it to the dealer for service, my dealer is General RV and have not had any kind of acceptable service from them since I bought it new, so I asked if there where any other options to get it repaired. They had me contact Dexter Axle to see how to handle this, still waiting for a response.

Has any body else had issues like this? Love the trailer but am not real happy with it right now!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Left rear tire.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	34784Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Right rear tire.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	34785

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r713k228 View Post
    Have a 2019 Reflection 315RLTS, 7100 miles on trailer and tires, Westlake tires. The inside edge of both rear axle tires have excessive wear with the rt rear down to the steel cords and the left one will be there soon. Loaded trailer weight is 10300 lbs, tongue weight is 1055. Trailer level is 7/8 low in the front measuring from the frame bottom to ground. Measured axle crown, both axle crowns are within 0.050, rear tires are tipped inward with the rt being worse then the left. rear tires measure toed out almost 0.250 with more toe out on the rt rear. Front tires are starting to cup on the inside edge. Have contacted Grand Design and explained the problem, they suggested taking it to the dealer for service, my dealer is General RV aned have not had any kind of acceptable service from them since I bought it new, so I asked if there where any other options to get it repaired. They had me contact Dexter Axle to see how to handle this, still waiting for a response.

Has any body else had issues like this? Love the trailer but am not real happy with it right now!
    There have been a few reports across a some different lines/models of particularly inside tire wear. Your picture with steel showing is the worst shared on this forum as I recall. You have taken some important measurements. It would seem that there are possibly bent spindles for some reason. After your feedback from Dexter and maybe even before, I would consider having a heavy duty frame/axles/etc. shop conduct an inspection and how to proceed along with costs to do so. Good thing you were on top of this.

Dan
    Last edited by Canyonlight; 06-07-2021 at 03:02 PM.
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your axle let you down. Losing the axle camber is only one problem that causes odd tire wear. Another very common is when the spindles lost their alignment. Can happen right when made when there's a slip in the welding jig, and can also happen going down the rough highways heavily loaded. Everything you posted, that axle is done and needs replacing.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem last year. Instead of using the warranty and getting the same under size axle, I just replaced both axles. After talking to a shop that deals with axle replacement, I went with 7000lb heavy wall Dexter axles. I also replaced the 5200lb springs with 6000lb springs. Since I needed new tires, I moved up to 16" rims. Then I went all out and upgraded to disc brakes. Total cost was about $6000. As far as just axles, they were around $300 each.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could just be a matter of alignment. Mine wore a similar way and I found a shop that could align them. Maybe a good heavy duty truck shop could recommend a place in your area.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar problem on a previous trailer. We have a very good truck / frame shop locally that was able to push / pull the axle back into alignment.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also had a rear tire wearing rapidly on the inside. After a discussion with the tech dept I put a level on my axles and it should sit up on the hump in the middle of the axle and then have 1/2”-1” of daylight at either end of the level. My front axle was perfect and the rear axle showed low in the center about 1/4” air gap in the center.

Here’s some pics for reference.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip94ta View Post
    I also had a rear tire wearing rapidly on the inside. After a discussion with the tech dept I put a level on my axles and it should sit up on the hump in the middle of the axle and then have 1/2”-1” of daylight at either end of the level. My front axle was perfect and the rear axle showed low in the center about 1/4” air gap in the center.

Here’s some pics for reference.
    While 'exploring' under our new Solitude I noticed the camber on the rear axle, but just by eyeball the front axle appeared to be almost straight. I didn't know the camber was supposed to be there but before panicking I did just what you showed and put a level on the centers of the axles. Turns out both of them had just about 1/2" of light showing at the ends of a 48" level. Since they matched and nothing looked out-of-whack I figured they were okay. Nice to find this information here and learn that they are exactly as designed.

I've been towing trailers for many years and love it when I learn something new about them. Many thanks to you and all the others on the forum for taking the time to share!
    Dan & Connie

Current Rig: 2022 GD Solitude 310GK-R / 2020 F-350 PSD CC LB SRW
    Previous: 2007 Montana Mountaineer 32 PHD / 2011 F-250 CC LB SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem on a 2018 2400bh. Steel cords were showing on the tire. It took 6 weeks of me chasing Grand Design and the dealer to get it fixed, but at least it didn't cost me anything. New axles and tires wheels is what they did for me. And on my inspection before I took the trailer after everything was installed, I noticed all the spring hangers on the passenger side had a gap on one side of them, kind of like they were in a jig, and one entire side of the hanger was welded before doing anyghing to the other side. That only took 24 hrs to remedy, thankfully. Good luck!
    2021 GD 31MB; 2022 F350 Rapid Red, Lariat Ultimate Package, CCSB, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke, B&W 20K Patriot slider