Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for Extended warranty company

Hello Grand Design Family😃
    The wife and I just upgraded to a new 303RLS. I am looking for information about recommended RV Extended Warranty co.
    I know thes a lot of crap out there to muddle through, I honestly just don’t want to. I’d rather trust the experience and opinions of some of my community that I’m sure monitors this area.... so, any suggestions? We are planning 2-3 month trips with the possibility of going full time after about a year.... THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Pete

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally wouldn’t buy any

It is expensive and getting repairs done timely vs doing it yourself may be a big factor especially if full timing

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife found a very good description of extended service plans a while back (they are not warranties, but rather insurance policies with lots of fine print). They are another form of legalized gambling. The company is betting that nothing breaks that would cause them to pay out more than you paid for the policy; you're betting it will. As in all forms of legalized gambling, the house usually wins. Otherwise, these companies wouldn't be in business or make a profit. We prefer to set money aside regularly (earning interest) and pay for repairs as they come up.

If you still feel you must have one, contact Wholesale Warranties.

BTW - you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also skipped even after he lowered the price of it.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have passed on extended warranties on EVERYTHING and have saved a bundle.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not handy then extended warranties may work for you. I'm not judging - not everyone is handy, and not everyone can do everything for whatever reason.
    I purchased one (Cornerstone) when we purchased our Reflection 323BHS. Unfortunately it did not work out for me when I needed some repairs done (which I could have done myself). But if you'd prefer or need to just be able to pick up the phone and have someone come out to fix something (understanding that the repairs may still cost you money even with the extended warranty) then it may be what you want. I cannot offer any more information about the extended warranty companies though, since that was the first and last one I'd ever purchased.

The one time I did use it was for a broken leaf spring. The extended warranty was $1000/yr. The repairs for a mobile mechanic were $500 (or so, rough numbers since it was 5 years ago). Warranty covered about $130 of the repair, or one spring after meeting the deductible. I did have the mobile tech replace all 4, so I was expecting to pay a little out of pocket.

What most people are leading towards is that I could have kept the $1000 in my pocket and just paid the mobile mechanic myself (which I had to do anyway, since the warranty only reimburses) and saved $500 for the year. That has been the only time I ever had someone else fix something on the camper though, so if you're not able to do things like fix plumbing or wiring issues then the warranty may be right for you. If you're somewhat handy then in the long run you'll save money doing things yourself and only shelling out for the big ticket items.
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good advice above. If you do get one, read all the fine print. Some require you to get annual inspections which of course you have to pay more money each year. I'm in the save the $$ and do your own work camp.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest issue is the added yearly inspection/maintenance costs that some require. If you have to take your RV back to the dealer anyways for yearly maintenance then it's a wash. But if you do most of the maintenance yourself then it's not worth it IMO.
    When we bought our 1st and 2nd TT's I passed on an extended warranty. On our 3rd trailer the dealer never even offered it. On our current and 4th TT I passed as well. With that being said I'm probably as handy as a guy can get. I don't know elec very well but can fix most everything else.
    I once read that you need to be handy or rich to own an RV. If you have the $$$ and aren't handy then go for the extended warranty.

You say your upgrading to an 303. That means you've already owned an RV. How long did you own it and did you need major repair work after the OEM warranty ran out?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd Life RV View Post
    Hello Grand Design Family��
    The wife and I just upgraded to a new 303RLS. I am looking for information about recommended RV Extended Warranty co.
    I know thes a lot of crap out there to muddle through, I honestly just don’t want to. I’d rather trust the experience and opinions of some of my community that I’m sure monitors this area.... so, any suggestions? We are planning 2-3 month trips with the possibility of going full time after about a year.... THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Pete
    Hi Pete, based on what you posted about your intended use and based on my personal experience with Grand Design customer service. I would say, pass. I am on my 3rd Grand Design product and have yet to use any of the extended warranties I have. Grand Design has covered everything I have needed. Based on your planned usage, it sounds like you are going to know that rig pretty well before your 1 yr warranty expires. Best wishes, Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there! My sales guy lowered the extended warranty price down to $1625. it's basically 4 more years of coverage past the standard 1year. That seem fair/reasonable? So hard to decide.
    Thanks!
    Brian
    Last edited by Bradeaux; 06-12-2021 at 10:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast